Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: George Zimmerman not guilty.

Post George Zimmerman not guilty.

Repeat after me: The media coverage of an ongoing trial does not mean the media will get the verdict it wants.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07...rman-is-found/

Post Re: George Zimmerman not guilty.

I can see why the verdict was as it was as the jury had to deal with intent for the charges. Intent for homicide or manslaughter has to be proven by the prosecution and clearly the jury did not find it that way. I don't think anyone thought Zimmerman purposely went out to commit a murder that night.

Does not mean that Zimmerman did not act recklessly. He made a poor choice to act on his own to follow and confront Martin instead of sitting in his car and waiting for the police, which would have turned out very differently for all and a 17 year old would be alive today.

That's why the taxpayers spend money to train people to be police officers to handle these situations.

Re: George Zimmerman not guilty.

My deal with him was his professionalism. His role was supposed to be to observe and report. He is not police, he is not judge jury and certainly not executioner. He was supposed to follow the instructions of law enforcement (as with his 911 call), and let them handle the rest.

My concern in this case has always been the white supremacy groups. I do see a dangerous precedent, while mafias prey on specific communities and ethnic groups, white supremacist groups can enter any community of their choosing and do the same under the guise of "protection". I too would be suspicious of their intentions because like mafias, they too will be an outfit for organized crime. They will extort these communities claiming they will keep the Trayvon Martins of the world out, but they too are criminals themselves.
    Last edited by jolau; 7.14.13 at 4:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    My concern in this case has always been the white supremacy groups. I do see a dangerous precedent, while mafias prey on specific communities and ethnic groups, white supremacist groups can enter any community of their choosing and do the same under the guise of "protection". I too would be suspicious of their intentions because like mafias, they too will be an outfit for organized crime. They will extort these communities claiming they will keep the Trayvon Martins of the world out, but they too are criminals themselves.
    Are you at all concerned with racists like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who are calling for rioting over this? Or Black Panther leader Kojo Kayrallah who was quoted as saying he hopes Zimmerman is killed in prison? Or are you only concerned with the white supremacists?

White supremacists can enter any area of their choosing if they wanted to, the Black Panthers are community-specific. The Black Panthers can be avoided, white supremacists? Not so much.
    Why are you not concerned about white supremacists? Oh yeah, you don't believe people pay attention to such lunatics.

And Zimmerman isn't going to prison.

As for Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton calling for riots, where are you getting this?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...-over-verdict/

Zimmermann is a murderer in my book. He was a nobody not even a security guard. He was told to leave the kid alone yet he was too important to himself to listen, That kid could still be alive if Zimmermann wasn't such an idiot. Now a young man is dead and the guy who murdered him is free. Happens way too often in this country.
    The last I heard Jesse Jackson was calling for people to stay peaceful and calm during this. I think black moms have such a hard job raising boys. There is gangs who try to recruit them and there are people who see a young black man and assume they are gang members. Dangerous times for all of them. Until this country gets over their prejudice nothing will change.
    I am sick and tired of gun toting morons who shout'It's our right to have guns" and have no idea how to safely use one.

See? I'm not the only one.

I really don't care if you are the only one.

The over riding public opinion, and more importantly, the opinion of the jury who saw all the facts in the case, was different.

The law defines "murder" as the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with
    malice aforethought.

A person claiming self-defense must prove at trial that the self-defense
    was justified. Deadly Force may be used to fend off an attacker
    who is using deadly force but may not be used to repel an
    attacker who is not using deadly force.

In this case, the jury did not find enough evidence to convict on a count of murder and was satisfied with the defendant's claim of self-defense. As were the police, who didn't bother to arrest Zimmerman in the first place, until people started whining.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, but this case was tried in a court of law and there was not enough evidence to result in a charge of murder.