Thread: What is the war funding buying???

Post What is the war funding buying???

Cause it doesn't appear to cover important things like fighter planes! (I won't get into the flak jacket and non-armored vehichle discussions.

And yes, I realize its from CNN, but even CNN can get some of this right. We're spending billions on Iraq and other conflicts across the globe, where is the money going? I just would like to know our soldiers are at least protected!
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/05/f15...ing/index.html

Post Re: What is the war funding buying???

Quote Originally Posted by MeganG View Post
    Cause it doesn't appear to cover important things like fighter planes! (I won't get into the flak jacket and non-armored vehichle discussions.

And yes, I realize its from CNN, but even CNN can get some of this right. We're spending billions on Iraq and other conflicts across the globe, where is the money going? I just would like to know our soldiers are at least protected!
    Well, we know a good percentage is paying paid for contractors who make so much more money than any military member does.

The F-15s (built in the 1970's mostly and supposed to be retired in 2010 with the new F-22's Raptor taking their place...but lots of problems with the F-22 still), like many other current aircraft, are old models...who go through periodic updating and overhauls which costs millions of dollars. One F-15 engine costs approx. 3 million (twin tail-two engines) and overhaul one engine approx. 1/2 million.

But, aircraft, en masse, is less critical after an intitial invasion except for air support of ground troops, etc., as we know. One problem that aircraft, ground vehicles, and such have mechanically is that the desert sand is very fine and will do damage over time.

IMHO, one of the worst things that happened for the ground troops with invading Iraq was that they were NOT all equiped with sufficient body armor AND up-armored vehicles from the get-go. Now they are trying to spend more on these items AFTER there has been so much outrage by the public.

Just a few weeks ago the President was chiding Congress (Dems he really meant) about not getting behind the military spending bill he wanted. Saying the troops need bullets, etc. Huh?? Who is he kidding?

It's his administration that skimped on equipment to begin with while visions of sugarplums (being greeted as liberators and all) danced in his and other's heads.

Back to the money spent...lots has actually gone into reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan, but with not great payoffs since there are been substantial resistance by some inner-factions to sabotage efforts. One step forward has often been met with two steps backwards as it has been with every time outsiders have tried to make an Arab state into the outsider's image.

Post Re: What is the war funding buying???

Quote Originally Posted by MeganG View Post

Well........we know at least nine BILLION of it has just-poof- disappeared in Iraq. Unbelievable!