Thread: Oscar Nominations

Post Oscar Nominations

Well, there were a few surprises and a few *snubs* as usual ... I haven't seen everything yet, but I have seen a lot, so here's my take:

Best Picture
    The Artist
    The Descendants
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    The Help
    Hugo
    Midnight in Paris
    Moneyball
    The Tree of Life
    War Horse
    With the exception of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (what were they thinking??), this list was pretty much a lock. I'd love to have seen 50/50, Drive, The Beaver or Attack the Block break in, though I knew they had no shot (though they were my personal faves). I'd pick Moneyball, but I think The Artist will take it ... and I liked that film quite a bit, too.

Best Director
    Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
    Alexander Payne, The Descendants
    Martin Scorsese, Hugo
    Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
    Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life
    Again, not many surprises here. Hazanavicius will probably take it, and it will be a worthy choice.

Best Actor
    Demián Bichir, A Better Life (haven't seen it)
    George Clooney, The Descendants
    Jean Dujardin, The Artist
    Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Brad Pitt, Moneyball
    It's Clooney's to lose, but of this list, I'd pick Brad Pitt or Jean Dujardin. In reality, I'd have loved it if Joseph Gordon Levitt would have gotten in for 50/50, Ryan Gosling for Ides of March, or Mel Gibson for The Beaver (he's amazing in that film, regardless of his personal issues). I saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and liked it but found it so forgettable that I am surprised Oldman got a nod, though he was good. Michael Fassbender had a lot of buzz for Shame, but I haven't seen that yet either.

Best Actress
    Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs (haven't seen it)
    Viola Davis, The Help
    Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady (haven't seen it)
    Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn (haven't seen it)
    I think Streep is a lock, unfortunately. Of this list, I'd pick Viola Davis, though admittedly this is one category I need to see more films in. But I certainly would have put Tilda Swinton for We Need To Talk About Kevin (as she is supposed to be amazing) and Charlize Theron in Young Adult on this list ... she was really good.

Best Supporting Actor
    Kenneth Branagh, My Week With Marilyn (haven't seen it)
    Jonah Hill, Moneyball
    Nick Nolte, Warrior
    Christopher Plummer, Beginners
    Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    This is the most screwed up category, IMHO, though it doesn't matter because Christopher Plummer is a lock. He was really good, but Albert Brooks in Drive, Patton Oswalt in Young Adult and Alan Rickman in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II should all be on this list. I liked Jonah Hill and Nick Nolte a lot, but I'd bump them and definitely Max Von Sydow!

Best Supporting Actress
    Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
    Jessica Chastain, The Help
    Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
    Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs (haven't seen it)
    Octavia Spencer, The Help
    I think I am the only one who HATED Melissa McCarthy and Bridesmaids in general, so I just don't get a nod for her. The rest are right on, and I'd pick Jessica Chastain myself, though I think Octavia Spencer will win. But I'd probably replace McCarthy with Anna Kendrick in 50/50.

Best Original Screenplay
    Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
    Annie Mumolo and Kristen Wiig, Bridesmaids
    J.C. Chandor, Margin Call
    Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
    Asghar Farhadi, A Separation
    Seriously, no nod for 50/50 here hurts my soul a little! Everyone should watch that film! But I think Woody Allen will take this one.

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Alexander Payne, Jim Rash, and Nat Faxon, The Descendants
    John Logan, Hugo
    George Clooney, Grant Heslov, and Beau Willimon, The Ides of March
    Aaron Sorkin and Steven Zaillian, Moneyball
    Peter Straughan and Bridget O’Connor, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    I hope Moneyball takes it. Seriously, it takes a lot to make a movie about baseball and statistics interesting!

I have a few more films I want to see before the Oscars, but overall, I think it was a fairly weak year for films. The ones I absolutely LOVED were some of the smaller films that just don't get recognized. There were a lot of movies I LIKED, though.

Now on to the fashion!

Re: Oscar Nominations

Didn't "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" just come out? How is it up for nomination already?

Post Re: Oscar Nominations

I don't get "Bridesmaids" being nominated for anything.
    It's another C grade comedy, like "What About Mary".