Thread: Occupy Universities

Post Occupy Universities

seriously..why is the cost of education at universities going up so dramatically? What is the increased cost from, other than the govt spigot is being turned off? even without all the handouts in CA the average increase in tuition was 21%. It has gotten crazy...

Post Re: Occupy Universities

when has govt subsidized something and the price NOT gone up?

the student loan business is a joke and now the govt has taken over that as well... it's too damned easy to get a 50k unsecured loan... it's opened the flood gates on tuition increases... we have all come to the conclusion that a college education is a right and it is needed...

borrow 50k so you can spend 6 years studying basket weaving , cultural diversity and sociology while smoking dope all day... then bitch about your student loan afterwards and why nobody has a job for you... then go to OWS gatherings and demand somebody give you a good job and forgive your student loan debt...

more govt control... it's only going to get worse because of govt meddling.. it will give the fed govt more control of how a college is run too... great...

colleges in the U.S. are some of the worst run entities in the Western world..

Re: Occupy Universities

now Obummer is saying the govt will take over MORE of the loans... and then have them EXPIRE...no sense in looking at the root cause of the cost...just keep paying...and paying..

all they talk about is "investing in education" when we have study after study...(like the 5B Bill "i am a ridiculous democrat" Gates spent that finds the more we spend, the LESS we gain...its not the amount spent...its having responsibility and no senority! QUALITY...

What is your solution? You offer nothing to people whose incomes are moderate and below. Your solution is to pay or give up on whatever dream you had and what kind of life you want once you graduate.
    People go to these universities (public and private) and are willing to take on these loans because they want to have better lives than what they had before.

You might not want to hear another one of my stories, but I'll tell you anyway because you have no understanding of what these people are going through.
    I was hoping to attend a private religious university until my Dad told me to drop out.
    I was hoping to use a combination of FAFSA loans, working nights full time, and some money my grandmother set aside for me but the money is under Dad's name. All I asked for was the portion FAFSA wouldn't cover but Dad refused and gave me a long lecture on the evils of loans, after which I dropped my classes during the time I can get a full refund and the loan money was sent back.
    He later told me he had a job offer that he declined. Did he think of me? NO!
    I am currently in the process of applying for an art school that I can afford. And as far as I'm concerned, I only have my mother, my other grandmother, and an aunt that lives nearby. My father might as well be dead to me.

Now I have to make a decision, do I go back to my father, mend things with him, and try again so I can go to a more conservative university?
    Or do I go to a liberal art school and shut my father out, possibly for the rest of our lives?

You may treat me as some insignificant nobody but I'm not alone. There are highschoolers all over this country that have to give up on college knowing they will be in debt on the first day of school.
    What about them?
    If you're not going to think of my "insignificant nobody" situation, think of them.

Here's another something that a career counselor at the Private Religious University devoid of basket weaving classes told me:
    Many students at the state colleges end up spending 6/7 years at the State Colleges because there are so many students and so few teachers and available classes thanks to budget cuts.
    These students are scrambling to find classes for whatever major they were originally in and it takes them so long. (Don't forget, the more senior you are in any college, the better your chances of getting into the classes you need.)

Perhaps that is one of the reasons why they're studying basket weaving, sociology, etc. They originally weren't there to goof off, but if the odds are stacked against you, might as well.

Post Re: Occupy Universities

Quote Originally Posted by alexc View Post
    seriously..why is the cost of education at universities going up so dramatically? What is the increased cost from, other than the govt spigot is being turned off? even without all the handouts in CA the average increase in tuition was 21%. It has gotten crazy...
    The cost has gone up, because main stream peoples/families have bought into the idea that only those college educated have a chance for a good and wealthy life.

What we are now seeing is a whole lot of college educated kids coming out over the last 10 or so years...with no job prospects when perhaps they should have gone into some kind of trade school instead.

Colleges are feeling a drain on professional educators who are opting for careers in business instead...AND colleges are trying to compete it that sector...hence, bringing on board the best money can buy will also add on to tuition costs.

Don't get me started on the waste colleges spend on athletic programs, footballs...etc. LOL

seriously...ur DAD won't help you pay for school so you can't go?? Hate to break it to you, but many of us paid for school all on our own..and took out big debt to do so...including graduate school. Costs are up because they are FALSELY inflated by govt support. I DONT agree with Cat that people have bought into it to become wealthy...higher education is not just for a job, ESPECIALLY an undergraduate degree...its to become a better individual and to EQUIP you to properly deal with the real world. BTW...those athletic programs FUND a LOT of other programs. That said...those that can't do generally TEACH. LAstly...what a surprise that a college blames budget cuts for everything..compete in a fair market and the cost will go down, not up. The more funding these places get, the higher the cost..why do you think that is?? WOW...some pretty big parallels with other govt programs.