Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: jobs for vets...REALLY??

Post jobs for vets...REALLY??

Obama want to create 8k jobs for vets by having them work at community health centers...wow...quite an executive decision and plan to make it happen and bypass congress...when the house/repubs did the following:

Veterans Opportunity to Work Act (VOW Act), which is now awaiting action in the Democrat-controlled Senate. Specifically, the VOW Act:

Improves Access to Education and Training Funds: The VOW Act temporarily provides 100,000 unemployed veterans between the age of 35 and 60 with up to 1-year of education and training benefits related to gaining a job in high-demand occupations, from trucking to technology.

Makes Improvements to the Transition Assistance Program: The Transition Assistance Program is designed to help veterans find meaningful employment after discharge through a series of career training workshops. The VOW Act will make TAP mandatory for most service members transitioning to civilian status, upgrading career counseling options, and resume writing skills, as well as ensuring the program is tailored for the 21st Century job market.

Includes Reporting Requirements to Reform Employment Programs: Few evaluations have been conducted or completed to identify areas for improvement within existing veterans employment programs. The VOW Act includes several new reporting requirements to evaluate how to reform the programs to provide transitioning service members with greater employment opportunities.

Helps Break Down the Barriers to Employment: The VOW Act would also encourages Congress to work with governors and states to create a uniform licensing and credentialing standard for returning service members to use the skills they learned in the military in the private sector. Combat medics, aircraft technicians, and truck drivers all face lengthy reaccreditation when they return from the battlefield to do the jobs here they performed while deployed.

Honestly...this president is so ridiculous its crazy...worrying about creating 8k jobs vs the environment to create MILLIONS of new jobs...anyone remember "shovel ready jobs"??? not just craziness...stupidity.

Re: jobs for vets...REALLY??

... Or we can knock over some other third-world country whose leader we can villify and claim has an evil plot to take over the world...

... Or the veterans can Occupy Wall Street...

How heartless can you be? Don't you feel at least any sort of debt of gratitude to the members of our armed forces?
    Are the veterans worth more to you dead or worse?
    Don't you think they deserve SOMETHING from the country they served while they transition from the military and back to their post-war lives? You know, things like getting skills that might be useful as they try to find these jobs you claim the private sector create?

Really, you must care more about corporate business interests, profit, and wealth hoarding than the well being of veterans returning from a war that you people started and cheered on until Bush left office.

And don't tell me about your "patriotism" because your last statement tells me how much of a "patriot" you are!
    Last edited by jolau; 10.27.11 at 4:36 AM.

what are you even talking about? 8k jobs vs 100s of 1000s of jobs for vets. that is what the repubs in the house passed... Did you even look at what i posted? BTW...the OVERWHELMING number of vets and active service folks supported bush and absolutely detest obama..they get what they are doing and why...

Post Re: jobs for vets...REALLY??

8 k is better than nothing given that the other side's job is ot say NO to anything.

Not any of the vets I know... think Bush was some kind of OVERWHEMING, stellar war expert. Has nothing to do with Obama, cause he was after the fact of the stupid elective wars he brought about that ended up with more war casualities that those who died on 9-11. Where's your source? Rush or Fox news? Not a source from around here where people are happy that hundreds are laying in graves today or dealing with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by alexc View Post
    what are you even talking about? 8k jobs vs 100s of 1000s of jobs for vets. that is what the repubs in the house passed... Did you even look at what i posted? BTW...the OVERWHELMING number of vets and active service folks supported bush and absolutely detest obama..they get what they are doing and why...

What percent of the military would vote for obummer over bush or any Republican? Why did gore try and have military ballots thrown out? Alex showed you the Republican proposal that provided extensive training for vets...then obummer comes out with this and you all say we don't care? That the Republicans just want to say no? Where's your logic?

talk to folks in the military...see what they say. talk to folks who USED to be in the military..as BE says, the OVERWHELMING number of ballots from the military go to the repubs...these people understand what they are doing and why...they also understand that freedom continues to have a high cost...and that america IS the best the world has to offer. It stands for principles much higher than what exists elsewhere, and certainly puts its money where its mouth is when the world has a crisis. Well...except for democrats, who like to take to give, but won't give their own. folks in the military GET it...

Quote Originally Posted by alexc View Post
    talk to folks in the military...see what they say. talk to folks who USED to be in the military..as BE says, the OVERWHELMING number of ballots from the military go to the repubs...these people understand what they are doing and why...they also understand that freedom continues to have a high cost...and that america IS the best the world has to offer. It stands for principles much higher than what exists elsewhere, and certainly puts its money where its mouth is when the world has a crisis. Well...except for democrats, who like to take to give, but won't give their own. folks in the military GET it...
    Being in a city, where there are a LOT of military members...including a lot of close friends who have served in several deployments...

I wonder if you all even really know anyone who has?

From those I know... they have suffered a lot...months away from family, saying that the objective was unclear as to any kind of winning anything.

For example, one friend ...one deployment in S. Korea, three deployments each in Iraq and Afghanistan. His marriage, with kids, broke up...

i can't say what he's doing right now as to privacy, but I bet what he's doing is nothing that too many on this board have the guts to do... including me.

Aside that...we have thens of thousands of people, who are REAL people, who have sacrifced and it is NOT right to make a JUDGEMENT statement according to politics that they ALL think that what they have had to endure they agreed with.

WHAT each and everyone of you needs to understand is that SERVICE is just that. It's NOT an easy partisan agenda.

These are REAl people who, just like you and me, have different ideas as to politics and not all are of one idea.

So, Alex and BE...how many of these service people do you all talk to everyday as to support your claims?

I bet I talk to more on a regular basis than you all do...lol :-)