Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Many Americans Still Don't Grasp Iraq war Is Illegal

Re: Many Americans Still Don't Grasp Iraq war Is Illegal

PS: Weren't the folks that initiated the Salem Witch Trials descended from the Mayflower folks? Certainly as time went on, the Mayflower folks and thier descendents had to deal with heretics. That doesn't sound very tolerant, or promoting religious freedom.
    Last edited by jolau; 11.5.07 at 3:07 PM.

Post Re: Many Americans Still Don't Grasp Iraq war Is Illegal

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    PS: Weren't the folks that initiated the Salem Witch Trials descended from the Mayflower folks? Certainly as time went on, the Mayflower folks and thier descendents had to deal with heretics. That doesn't sound very tolerant, or promoting religious freedom.
    Yeah......talk about your water-boarding! They didn't write the constitution, though.

You state God is not mentioned in the Constitution yet ignore that ever session of congress is started with Prayer...Our money has "In God we Trust" Christ's birthday and Resurection are National Holidays...this is a country founded in Christ..Family and Christ is the foundation and fabric of our nation.. Our major and most prestigious universities have religion written all over them...

Christmas trees are removed from airports, 10 commandments are removed from court houses, silent night is banished from school plays and prayer that was once common placed has been outlawed, Crosses are removed from war memorials honoring our war dead that infuriate the relatives of the brave and you have the audacity to say Christianity is not under assault...Are you on crack?

no one if forcing anyone to adopt a religion...no one is forcing you to go to Church and give money... I, nor anyone else is forcing you to believe or worship in any way..we just want to be left alone by Godless folks like you... no policy is being "co-opted"... you tax dollars are not being spent on Christ like our tax dollars are being spent on crap that you impose on us...

War is an unfortanate cost of freedom and defeating those who want you and your family killed... it's part of the Old Testament... read and learn

why don't you listen to what I'm saying jolau?...I'm saying that abortion and birth control is something parents should be in control of as long as the child is under 18... how can you argue that type of simple logic and common sense ?

when I say putting "God above the collective" that means putting God above government... if you follow God, that means you don't kill, steal, bear false witness and so on... there are certain things that society does as a collective which is to not lie (some are personal and not to be prosecuted and some are)..not to kill and steal... those are things that collectively are inforced for a better society..

when have I said someone shouldn't have the right to worship Hinduism, Bushism, Islam or Judiasm?

I go to a Catholic Church every Sunday by the way

I've never committed murder or genocide... why are you saying I have/?

People supposedly who are referred to as Christians have done horrible things throughout history... Hitler was into all kinds of weird stuff... I'm sure there are many atheists who live much better lives than him...

certainly the horrors of the witch trials were done by people who had a warped sense of Christianity...do you think Jesus approved of the burnings?

I'm sorry. I thought the whole parental notification thing was to PREVENT abortion, not so that the parent and daughter, AKA the soon to be grandparent and mother, could make an informed decision together. If this were the case then a parent could potentially insist on an abortion.
    This to me is another step in the Pro-Lifer's quest to illegalize abortion.
    Like I said, had the parents had been parents, their daughters wouldn't have been in this mess to begin with.
    If the Pro-Lifers had thought about this to begin with, they would make it harder for minors to have sex with each other, not just between minors and adults (which of course should remain illegal, btw).

Perhaps if we did things for the good of society, rather than "putting God above the collective" then we wouldn't be having this argument. Certainly not killing, stealing, etc. and enforcing the appropriate laws as things done for the good of society, however having debates and attempting to put into legislation about how God is to be worshipped and recognized is not for the betterment of society. There's too much nitpicking going on for this, and obviously that would eventually lead to a detrement for society as a whole, and would even spread to other societies.
    I'm Catholic too and go to church on Sundays, but the difference between you and me is that I don't need to have images of Jesus and other constant reminders of my religion all around me in order to remain faithful. Nor do I see any particular need to ensure that such things should remain in public eye.

I'm not saying you personally, but you tend to side with those who have historically have murdered and comitted genocide in order to "put God above the collective" at the detrement of those who don't worship God in the same way, or even worship other gods.
    Not sure if Jesus personally would have approved of the burnings, but those who initiated the Witch Trials, the Holocaust, etc. etc. would certainly assume he did.

By the way, Christmas trees are pagan in origin, not Christian. Plus it's more of a symbol of the commercialization of Christmas than it's religious significance.
    Plus Jesus may have been born in March, not December 25th.
    Christmas may have been put on December 25th to coincide with Roman holidays going on at the time.
    Then again that would put it alittle too close to Easter, then would it?

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    You state God is not mentioned in the Constitution yet ignore that ever session of congress is started with Prayer...Our money has "In God we Trust" Christ's birthday and Resurection are National Holidays...this is a country founded in Christ..Family and Christ is the foundation and fabric of our nation.. Our major and most prestigious universities have religion written all over them...

Christmas trees are removed from airports, 10 commandments are removed from court houses, silent night is banished from school plays and prayer that was once common placed has been outlawed, Crosses are removed from war memorials honoring our war dead that infuriate the relatives of the brave and you have the audacity to say Christianity is not under assault...Are you on crack?

no one if forcing anyone to adopt a religion...no one is forcing you to go to Church and give money... I, nor anyone else is forcing you to believe or worship in any way..we just want to be left alone by Godless folks like you... no policy is being "co-opted"... you tax dollars are not being spent on Christ like our tax dollars are being spent on crap that you impose on us...

War is an unfortanate cost of freedom and defeating those who want you and your family killed... it's part of the Old Testament... read and learn
    Bigeasy, surely you aren't recommending that we live by the Old testament?
    And as a matter of fact, my tax dollars ARE increasingly being spent on faith-based initiatives and programs that this administration has more and more given them to! This administration has dramatically increased the funding to these groups- ignoring and deliberately going up against the seperation of church and state- and why exactly, there were restrictions on doing this to begin with.
    And I still don't see the attack on Christianity, Bigeasy. Seriously- 85% of the COUNTRY says they are Christians! Do you seriously think that even if the 15% who aren't even wanted to somehow attack Christianity they could? I look around and I just don't see it. There are more and more churches around me all the time. Granted, the Catholic Church is now consolidating parishes and closing some churches- but that has more to do with their truly disgraceful support of child molestation than it does any "attack" on them.
    We certainly are a "Christian" nation, Bigeasy- I agree with you there. But I still think one of the most important notions the founding fathers concerned themselves with was the notio that we shouldn't have any state-mandated religion. That we were to be a country where you were free to worship as you wanted....and, most importantly, also free to NOT worship....or be forced to.
    And Bigeasy- you shouldn't call me "Godless." I was brought up Catholic........and admit that I've turned away from the church (slowly through the years, and completely after the sex scandals). So I no longer support the Catholic Church....or feel the need to go there. But that doesn't mean that I don't still believe in God. Or live in a way that, to me, represents the true values of religion.
    Some of the most "religious" people I've known don't ever step foot in an organized church, Bigeasy. IMO religion is best expressed in how you live, what you do and how you treat others. You don't have to support pedophile priests in the process.