Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize!!

Post Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize!!

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post

again...I think we need to focus on the 3rd world people who are chopping down the rain forests for survival...gotta be a better way for those folks to eat and get a long that chopping down stuff that can NEVER be replaced... also...my tap water sux
    "3rd world people"? LOL- It's industrialized countries who are destroying the remaining rain forests....because our own forests are so depleted. Shutting down McDonalds and Burger King would do more to save the rain forests!
    I don't like my tap water either.......have you tried putting a filter on it? I can't stand it that they put flouride in it either.

Q. How does meat consumption contribute to rainforest depletion?

From Jolinda Hackett,
    Your Guide to Vegetarian Food.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    A. The United States imports roughly 200 million pounds of beef from Central America every year. Aside from the fuel used in transport, grazing land is needed for all of these animals. Where does all that land come from in a densely forested region? The answer: from clear-cutting forests and rainforest A Smithsonian study estimates that the necessity for more grazing land means that every minute of every day, a land area equivalent to seven football fields is destroyed in the Amazon basin(1). For each hamburger that originated from animals raised on rainforest land, approximately 55 square feet of forest have been destroyed. And its not just the rainforest. In the United States, more than 260 million acres of forest have been clear-cut for animal agriculture (2). With increased per capita meat consumption, and an ever growing population, we can only expect to see more deforestation in the future.

Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize!!

I've never understood why we have to import beef... Texas and Oklahoma could provide every person on this planet a hamburger everyday... and I am not exaggerating one bit

Post Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize!!

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I've never understood why we have to import beef... Texas and Oklahoma could provide every person on this planet a hamburger everyday... and I am not exaggerating one bit
    They say that it's because we just don't have the grazing room for all these cattle these days........or, more likely, the water!
    But I'll bet it all comes down to profit- it's probably so much cheaper to outsource it.