Thread: I Have Totally Lost The Continuity Of This Show

Post I Have Totally Lost The Continuity Of This Show

It's really gotten too far out there.
    They need to get a little more down to Earth,
    or they are going to lose their fan base.
    I have talked to three people this week who said they quit watching
    because it got too hard to follow.

Post Re: I Have Totally Lost The Continuity Of This Show

OK, mtj.
    What are you having trouble with in Season Three of Fringe?

The show is all over the radar screen.
    There are huge wholes in the story line.
    Amber?
    Where did that come from?
    I almost felt like I had missed an episode watching this week's episode.
    There needs to be more cohesion between real Olivia and fake Olivia.
    And having to follow the story lines as to what is going on in two different worlds is getting confusing.
    They need to quit with the two Olivias and get on with the story.

OK. The first time we learn of the amber substance that starts as a gas and locks into a solid is all the way back in episode 1.03, "The Ghost Network"(in our world). A busload of people are found encased in an amber-like substance.

It is revealed that a man boarded the bus with a canister containing it. He put on a mask as he activated it and got off the bus. This was an interesting episode, because the only way the Fringe Division learned who the 'bad guys' were was through a man Walter Bishop had experimented on decades ago, who was like a human satellite dish. He heard the men talking in Latin on the 'Ghost Network.' As Agetn Dunham tried to apprehend one, he falls at her feet dead.

Our Walter figures out a little later how the amber sunstance works. We don't see it again at all in Season I.

It shows up a second time in episode 2.23 "Over There:Part II. Peter gets his guided tour going over AltManhattan and sees Madison Square Garden as an area quarantined in amber. We are to assume after that that all the quarantined places on Walternate's map of the AltU.S are incased in amber. We are told the poor people in amber are declared 'legally dead,' but in a sobering moment of last week's episode 3.05 "Amber 31422" Walternate tells Colonel Broyles that the people in amber are alive "in a suspended state."

Regarding the two Olivias:
    I am not a fan of this concept but it was executive producer Jeff Pinkner's pretty brilliant way of getting Peter & Olivia to physical intimacy(in other words, lowering the UST) without technically getting Peter & Olivia together. Fans wanted to see P/O get it on so they did, but not really.

There's an interview somewhere where Jeff Pinkner says they couldn't return our Liv to Our World quickly without giving the character and the situation the intensity it deserved, or something to that extent. There will not be two worlds in the entirety of Season III but for now we're stuck with them. Inicidentally, I enjoy the antics of Scarlie and Lincoln Lee, and I'll be sorry to see them go.

Yeah, as a true P/O shipper I really hate FauxLiv or AltLiv for getting in the way. But all shows that go on awhile seem to have that triangular relaitonship thing(remember Alias?) It does make for interesting dynamics when Faux's true identity is revealed. How will Peter handle it? Will he kick some doors? How pissed off will our Liv be when she finds out Peter slept with Faux? When she finds out she lived in her house? )If you want to know how they're moving closer to that part of the season, see my Season 3 spoiler thread.)

If you're having trouble keeping tabs on which side's which, know that the odd-numbered episodes are Over There and the even-numbered episodes are Over Here. At some point soon the two worlds will collide, and I'm very curious as to how that happens.