Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $100 million spent to fight health reform

Post $100 million spent to fight health reform

$100 million spent to fight health reform--after it passed
    by Joan McCarter

Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 07:16:04 PM PDT

How much does corporate American and the GOP hate health reform?
    So $100 million in ads tarring health reform have run since Obama signed the bill into law in March. And many ads on health care contain multiple falsehoods and distortions. Is this entirely to blame for making health reform a political liability for many Dems? No, of course not. Though majorities have steadily said they like individual provisions, the overall law was unpopular in the lead-up to passage. Dems have not done what they needed to do to change the public's mind at the rate they had hoped to.
    But even if the massive post-passage ad campaign against the law is only part of the story, it's nonetheless significant. Clearly, those heavily invested in returning the majority to the GOP recognized that a concerted campaign to tar this major Dem achievement -- after it had been enshrined into law -- had to be a central feature of their strategy. It seems likely that this massive ad onslaught may have been one key factor in preventing public opinion from turning around quickly enough.
    The various involved industries spent more than $600 million in lobbying and ads during the fight to get a bill they could live with--killing strong reform measures like a public option or drug reimportation--and now are investing in trying to buy a Republican Congress that will focus on undoing what did get accomplished.
    And that's what they're gonna get, if the GOP has their way. Because it's perfectly fine by them for insurers to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Post Re: $100 million spent to fight health reform

Foes ran $100 million in ads against health care -- after it passed

Why are Democrats on the defensive over health reform? This statistic, buried in today's big New York Times piece on that very topic, is striking and deserves some more attention:
    Opponents of the legislation, including independent groups, have spent $108 million since March to advertise against it, according to Evan L. Tracey, president of the Campaign Media Analysis Group, which tracks advertising. That is six times more than supporters have spent, including $5.1 million by the Department of Health and Human Services to promote the new law, Mr. Tracey said.
    So $100 million in ads tarring health reform have run since Obama signed the bill into law in March. And many ads on health care contain multiple falsehoods and distortions. Is this entirely to blame for making health reform a political liability for many Dems? No, of course not. Though majorities have steadily said they like individual provisions, the overall law was unpopular in the lead-up to passage. Dems have not done what they needed to do to change the public's mind at the rate they had hoped to.
    But even if the massive post-passage ad campaign against the law is only part of the story, it's nonetheless significant. Clearly, those heavily invested in returning the majority to the GOP recognized that a concerted campaign to tar this major Dem achievement -- after it had been enshrined into law -- had to be a central feature of their strategy. It seems likely that this massive ad onslaught may have been one key factor in preventing public opinion from turning around quickly enough.
    If the GOP takes back the House, as expected, a huge argument will erupt among Dems over the wisdom of passing reform and over whether the "liberal overreach" it embodied helped sink the Dem majority. I hope folks will remember that the enormous amount of money spent to twist and misrepresent the law in the public mind might have also played a role in what happened.

Greg Sargent

reines: Why do so many people believe lies and distortions about health care reform? I have to think that $100 million dollars buys an awful lot of falshoods and propaganda! It's really too bad that Democrats didn't make a stronger effort to tell the public the value of health care reform... and why it was needed sooner rather than later. But, as always, they are unable to really compete against the big money of the foes of health care reform.

Re: $100 million spent to fight health reform

it's called spending money to educate the masses... good for them... because after all.. like pelosi said: "we'll just have to pass it to find out what's in it"...

well we have pelosi... and you'll have to find another way to fly you and your enterouge back and forth across the country next year... no more military jets, lobster and $100 bottles of scotch

The solution is to take and roll it into Single Payer and then be done with it. End of story.

And how about the limits it now imposes on everyday items? People who have FSA's and HSA accounts can't pay for everyday items with that tax deferred money. Like ibuprophen and benedryl and such. To get it paid out of an HSA account I need a prescription. There are also limits on how much can be put into an HSA every year. So my deductible is now higher than the amount I can put in an HSA. Again, more taxes taken out of my cash and my healthcare bills go UP!

Consider yourself lucky to have any coverage at all. I'm priced out, completely priced out. This phoney plan that the Regressives would settle for is going to hurt almost everyone for years to come. I don't figure to have any coverage until I get old enough for Medicare. Great job Regressives, chalk up another one for you. Your rich Insurance Cartel buddies are rolling in the dough.

Consider myself lucky that I pay over $300 a month for the pleasure of paying $2700 up front deductible? Hello? That's $6300 a year out of my pocket and I should consider myself lucky?

How about health care reform that actually works? There are lots of other ways to go about making health care affordable. But it seems nobody in DC wants to tackle that so we all have to just settle or consider ourselves lucky.

Post Re: $100 million spent to fight health reform

In a couple of years you will have a choice of health care plans.

If the only goal was to make "health care affordable"... we would have a public option plan right now! But that didn't happen because President Obama bent over backwards to appease and cooperate with the private health insurers. You can blame them for the situtaion we're in- where we don't have the "perfect" system and might not for decades and decades... if ever.

The problem is that our politicians have to kowtow to monied interests in this country (read: private health insurance industry) instead of acting in the public's best interests... not that they tried to enact health care reform in the first place.

This is just the beginning... there will no doubt be changes made as we go along and see how it shakes out. No legislation is set in stone or perfect from the get-go... and especially not something as big as this.