2 cups flour
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    4 tsp baking powder
    5 TBS shortening
    3/4 cups milk [may need as much as 1 cup}
    1 egg
    2 tsp caraway seeds
    1/4 tsp paprika
    In a medium skillet, saute the onions in butter over low heat until they just begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Season with teaspoon of the salt, the marjoram, and the pepper. Set aside to cool. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor bowl place flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and the remaining salt, mix. Add the shortening and process just until it is the texture of soft crumbs. Add the milk and mix quickly to form a soft dough. Oil a 10-inch round cake pan and lightly use your fingers to spread the dough out evenly. Spread the cooked onion over the top. Beat the egg and sour cream together. Spoon the mixture over the onion, and spread it out to the very edge of the pan. Sprinkle lightly with caraway seeds and paprika. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into wedges.
    As you can see it's not a dessert cake.Lol .Where I come from in germany we have this in the fall with the "Federweisser".{a milky-turbid, aerated young wine with a light and sweet taste. After the annual grape harvest, the juices from the grapes are separated and allowed to ferment thus producing the milky still-fermenting grape juice known as "Federweisser" (Feder = feather, Weisser = whiter).

It is sold starting with 4% alcohol and its alcohol concentration increases during the ongoing fermentation to up to 10%. During the process of fermentation, Federweisser bottles must remain open to avoid explosion, therefore they are difficult to transport and this beverage is therefore usually only available in typical vine growing districts. It looks really gross but tastes good.Lol

Post Re: racemom here is the german onion cake recipe

Thanks CC. I printed it off and will give it a try. i bet it would be great with some hot soup or chowder!

Re: racemom here is the german onion cake recipe

Claudia..it does look good..but one question. I didn't see sour cream in the recipe above?

Thanks Dragonmom,
    Ichecked and it's 3/4 cups sour cream. Thanks for letting me know!

You are quite welcome..just wanted to make sure I didn't need glasses or something..LOL