Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 48

Thread: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

  1. #25

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    That's sad, nobody should have to choose between health and debt.

    I never said our system is free... Its subsidized by the people, for the good of its citizens. Its not run to make a profit, therefor only the money needed to run it, goes into it.

    Don't worry I know a radical republican when I see it. We get fox news up here too.

    As for prescriptions

    I don't know how it works in all provinces... but its probably similar to what we have here in British Columbia. We have something called a FairPharmacare plan that you sign up for, and again its income based how much you pay.

    Every family is given a deductible based on their NET family income... so after tax income. You pay all your drug costs until you reach the deductible, then the government will cover 70% of your drug costs until you reach a maximum... at which point the government will cover the full cost.

    If your family income is less than $15000 a year, you don't have a deductible. The government covers 70% of the drug costs until you spend 2% of your net income on prescriptions, then the full cost is covered.

    When your household makes $15000-30,000 a year, your deductible is 2%, and your maximum is 3%.

    And if you make more than $30,000 , its a 3% deductible and a 4% max.

    So lets say my net family income was $27000 last year. You would have to pay for all prescriptions until you spend 2% or 540 dollars... then the government would cover 70% of the costs until I reached you spent $810... then they would pay everything after that.

    If your family income was $87000 then you would have to pay everything until you reached $2610, then 70% is paid until you reached $3480, then the full amount would be covered.

    and again... you can get additional coverage... the same extended health plan I get through my work will cover prescription costs not covered by the basic government plan.
    Last edited by corker; 9.1.10 at 10:40 PM.

  2. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    9,507

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    [quote=corker;62827]

    Don't worry I know a radical republican when I see it. We get fox news up here too.
    LOL!
    As for prescriptions

    I don't know how it works in all provinces... but its probably similar to what we have here in British Columbia. We have something called a FairPharmacare plan that you sign up for, and again its income based how much you pay.

    Every family is given a deductible based on their NET family income... so after tax income. You pay all your drug costs until you reach the deductible, then the government will cover 70% of your drug costs until you reach a maximum... at which point the government will cover the full cost.

    If your family income is less than $15000 a year, you don't have a deductible. The government covers 70% of the drug costs until you spend 2% of your net income on prescriptions, then the full cost is covered.

    When your household makes $15000-30,000 a year, your deductible is 2%, and your maximum is 3%.

    And if you make more than $30,000 , its a 3% deductible and a 4% max.

    So lets say my net family income was $27000 last year. You would have to pay for all prescriptions until you spend 2% or 540 dollars... then the government would cover 70% of the costs until I reached you spent $810... then they would pay everything after that.

    If your family income was $87000 then you would have to pay everything until you reached $2610, then 70% is paid until you reached $3480, then the full amount would be covered.
    That sounds quite reasonable and pretty good compared to what we have to suffer through here. On our health plan, drugs on are a tiered system whereby our co-pay is determined by how expensive the drug is. I know I'm paying a lot of $40 and $25 co-pays these days... and it really adds up when you have a chronic condition or a serious illness. I can't even imagine how people with no health insurance deal with high drug prices!

    Of course... in Canada, drug prices are controlled by the govt. aren't they?

  3. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Topanga, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    [quote=reines;62839]
    Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post



    LOL!


    That sounds quite reasonable and pretty good compared to what we have to suffer through here. On our health plan, drugs on are a tiered system whereby our co-pay is determined by how expensive the drug is. I know I'm paying a lot of $40 and $25 co-pays these days... and it really adds up when you have a chronic condition or a serious illness. I can't even imagine how people with no health insurance deal with high drug prices!

    Of course... in Canada, drug prices are controlled by the govt. aren't they?
    The way they deal with the cost of high drug prices if they don't have insurance in this country is they don't buy them and they die. It's that simple.

  4. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    9,507

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    Seriously. Some of the drugs I have to take are $2,400 a month. A month! Not many people could afford that without health insurance. It's an awful system we have in this country.

    You'd have thought we would have evolved as human beings far enough to realize that health care should be a right.

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Topanga, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Seriously. Some of the drugs I have to take are $2,400 a month. A month! Not many people could afford that without health insurance. It's an awful system we have in this country.

    You'd have thought we would have evolved as human beings far enough to realize that health care should be a right.
    I have a neighbor with MS, her 10% of her one drug costs her $1200 every month. I didn't ask what full price is. It won't cure her but it will keep the disease from progressing any further. I know people who don't make $1200 a month. She can't work but her husband does and thank god he makes a good living.

  6. #30

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    Yes, In Canada the government pays a large roll in controlling drug prices. I guess its in their interest to do so, since they pay a large part of the bill. They negotiate with the drug companies on a price before they are allowed to sell.

    I only skim read the page but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada has some interesting information on the Canadian system and its history. Near the bottom there is a graph. If its numbers are accurate, Canada spends almost half as much per capita on Health Care than the US government does... that's interesting.

  7. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    9,507

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    Thanks corker. From all the propaganda and misinformation spread down here by those who's profits would be less if our system changed... you'd think Canadians were suffering. But it just isn't so.

    "Canadians strongly support the health system's public rather than for-profit private basis, and a 2009 poll by Nanos Research found 86.2% of Canadians surveyed supported or strongly supported "public solutions to make our public health care stronger."[5][6]
    A 2009 Harris/Decima poll found 82% of Canadians preferred their healthcare system to the one in the United States, more than ten times as many as the 8% stating a preference for a US-style health care system for Canada[7] while a Strategic Counsel survey in 2008 found 91% of Canadians preferring their healthcare system to that of the U.S.[8][9]. In the same poll, when asked “overall the Canadian health care system was performing very well, fairly well, not very well or not at all?” 70% of Canadians rated their system as working either "well" or "very well".

  8. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Topanga, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Post Re: How the dems lied to the American People about obama care

    Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Thanks corker. From all the propaganda and misinformation spread down here by those who's profits would be less if our system changed... you'd think Canadians were suffering. But it just isn't so.

    "Canadians strongly support the health system's public rather than for-profit private basis, and a 2009 poll by Nanos Research found 86.2% of Canadians surveyed supported or strongly supported "public solutions to make our public health care stronger."[5][6]
    A 2009 Harris/Decima poll found 82% of Canadians preferred their healthcare system to the one in the United States, more than ten times as many as the 8% stating a preference for a US-style health care system for Canada[7] while a Strategic Counsel survey in 2008 found 91% of Canadians preferring their healthcare system to that of the U.S.[8][9]. In the same poll, when asked “overall the Canadian health care system was performing very well, fairly well, not very well or not at all?” 70% of Canadians rated their system as working either "well" or "very well".
    I was visiting my daughter who lives in Florida one spring in the last year of two and caught a story about a Canadian who was a new "Snow Bird" and didn't know that he should buy a "special" policy before heading south for the winter. He had something come up where he ended up in the hospital and found his Canadian Medical coverage was no good down here. The bill ate up a huge chunk of his savings unfortunately but he, his family and others were waring Canadians to be sure they bought that "special" policy before leaving home.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •