Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Post Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

I'm still pretty computer illiterate. My sons take care of all that stuff for me. I'm always amazed at how second nature it all is for them... and how confusing it all is for me!

Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

I can figure out some of it, but the part of it that works with male logic always gets me. They were invented by men so have male "intelligence". I fight with my computer regularly mostly because it's logic is so flawed!!! LOL

Post Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Yeah, but I think it's an age issue too. For heaven's sake, even my six year old grandson seems to inherently know more about computers than I do!

Young people being brought up in this computer world are just so at home with it all. Lucky them. I think.

Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Agreed. There is an adoption agency out of New York called You Gotta Believe. They specialize in kids who are about to age out of the Foster Care System but who are still in school and need guidance as well as somewhere to live. In their "speil" they note that this child could program all of your electronics and other things. It was cute as there are so many who can't do any of that stuff. And the child could do some of the chores you aren't physically able to any longer. My boss did a training for them a few years ago so that's how I learned about the agency. I didn't know that when those kids turn 18 they get kicked free, whether they are in school or not! They are suddenly on their own on the street. My granddaughter at 1-1/2 could play a computer game of mine and she could barely speak then! How they learn it, I have no idea.

That's horrible... how many of these 18 year old foster kids have no family or social connections to lean on? What on earth do they do when they are just dumped into society after turning 18? Good grief, isn't there any kind of follow-up monitoring or anything?

According to Pat at You Gotta Believe, the answer is no. They are tossed out on the street. That is where the State's responsibility ends. And you are right, most of these kids are great kids with drug addict parents and that's how they ended up there. No family or none that is sober, but to find that they are dumped on the curb shocked me. I had no idea that it works that way. So if you know anyone looking for an older teen who can use some guidance and a place to live while finishing school and who could use some help with their electronics, give them a call. They have 2 offices in the state and right off the top of my head I can't recall where they are, but they have a web site.

I'll keep this in mind... thanks. What a horrible start in life.

No kidding. I've spoken with some of the people at their offices and was real impressed with them. The boss said the staff was fabulous, really know their job. I think it's an option for those who didn't have children or have children who live far away and need some help in their old age. And you get the bonus of helping someone who WANTS some help. It's one of those win-win situations for sure. Here's their web site. www.yougottabelieve.org They have an office on Coney Island and the other is in Holtsville. I don't know where the last city is. But they do good work.