Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Post Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Extreme Tea Parties now making AFP nervous; group distances itself from Oklahoma militia effort.

Last week, the AP reported that Oklahoma Tea Party leaders — part of an umbrella group called the Oklahoma Constitutional Alliance — are working with right-wing Republicans in the Oklahoma legislature to create a new “volunteer militia to help defend against what they believe are improper federal infringements on state sovereignty.” A couple of GOP state senators have even met with Tea Partiers to plan legislation for a state-authorized militia. Now Americans for Prosperity, one of the astroturf groups driving the Tea Parties nationwide, has realized that the movement it promoted is now getting out of hand. The Oklahoma Watchdog reports that the group is withdrawing from the Constitutional Alliance:
    [Stuart Jolly, director of the Oklahoma chapter of Americans for Prosperity] told this website that Gerhart was “dragging us down with him” and that the reputation of AFP, with over 20,000 members statewide and over 1 million nationwide, was being tarnished by the connection to OCA and the Sooner Tea Party. He also said in a story on April 18 in The Oklahoman that “It seems like the guys on the far right are really starting to take us down a road that they really shouldn’t. It should be more of an educational thing and how things works and how you actually get things accomplished. I’m not sure discussing militias and saying we’re going to take over the GOP is any way to accomplish any goal.”

Post Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Post Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

Not only have the number of radical-right extremist groups exploded in the wake of President Obama's election (more than 500 today, as compared to just 200 during the 1990s), but these militia members now have a proud sponsor in the person of Fox News' Glenn Beck, who has done more than any other person to amplify and mainstream the movement's hateful and foreboding anti-government message. Beck continues to give a voice, and national platform, to the same deranged, hard-core militia haters and self-style "patriots" who hounded the new, young Democratic president in the early 1990s in the wake of Waco.

http://mediamatters.org/columns/201004060005
    reines: Of course, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin and all the other rightwing ranters who are encouraging violence against our govt. won't be the ones actually in the line of fire when and if things get out of control. No, they sit safe in their protected studios and foment the seeds of violence and hate knowing that it won't touch them.

Isn't there a law about instigating or inciting? There used to be.

If there isn't there should be.

Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

No kidding. I didn't catch any coverage about the memorial or any ceremonies in Oklahoma, but the picture you posted came to my mind anyway. I don't think I will ever be able to forget it.

Re: Tea Party leaders now trying to distance themselves from Oklahoma Militia efforts

how soon we forget... the OKC tragedy was due to an extremist who was upset over the way clinton and reno botched the waco disaster... that's why he did it on that anniversary..

of course we don't care about those children that died there in waco do we? totally sensless..

all senseless. I didn't forget about anyone at Waco or Ruby Ridge.