I went into this movie prepared to hate it. I thought the previews made it look like a love triangle gone bad and I was highly irritated that Tobey Maguire got a Golden Globe nod for this movie over Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker.

But ... it was actually pretty good. Not great, but pretty darn good. I enjoyed it FAR more than I thought I would, and I have to admit that Tobey Maguire was good in it (though Jeremy Renner still got ROBBED of a Golden Globe nod!!)

It is not really a love triangle between the three leads (Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman) but rather a depiction of the effects of war on this particular group of people. The two little girls who were cast as the daughters were really, really good. It is sometimes hard to get child actors who can portray complex emotions and not be annoying, but these girls were spot on.

Overall, I'd give this a "B" which is pretty good considering I went in thinking it would be an "F"!! The film is by no means perfect, but I found it quite affecting in parts.