Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

Post Re: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

There may be some dispute in coal mining communities as to how much pride as to these jobs are where morbidity and serious health concerns afflict a such a large percentage of the area population. For many, they are trapped into wanting to remain in their community, but have no other area recourse than for generation after generation to go into the mines.

This has nothing to do with "liberals" hating coal or miners. They are decent people who understand that Black Lung disease and the other hazards of cave-ins, etc., are the risk they are willing to take because that's the best paying jobs around in what can be called one of America's third world regions. Rampant poverty.

For years, every one knows that the coal mining companies have often worked on the cheap as to safety issues. Drug and alcohol use in mining regions is one of the highest in the country.

"The health status of people who live in the rural, coal-producing counties of southwest Virginia remains problematic despite an apparent high primary care provider-to-population threshold. This descriptive exploratory study surveyed 922 households representing 2,188 people, with regard to the availability, need, and access to health care services. Findings indicated a population who had a greater morbidity for chronic illnesses such as heart disease and hypertension than the rest of the state, a large number of people without health and prescription coverage, and an overall perception of fair-to-poor health status. Findings also indicated a substantial proportion of the population who were in need of dental and visual care and general preventive services and those who were dealing with depression at home without outside intervention. One disturbing finding was the large number of people who shared prescriptive medications with family and friends. The Community As Partner Model might be used by community health nurses in this region to help structure interventions. Overall findings suggest a need for interventions aimed at screening for depression, managing prescriptive medications, and identification of low-cost and free preventive, dental, and visual care services."

[quote=big easy;47923]
    poor people go to college all the time...quote]

No poor people go to college these days unless they are smart enough to get scholarships, grants or are some kind of athlete merit.

When I was going to college, the state hourly rate was (at my highest at my university... grad 1984) was $11.25 an hour...which I paid myself for and worked full time...a long 13 years of night school.

Just check and see what state and private university charges are these days. Think it's still a lot of the poor families being able to foot that bill?

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    some people are proud of the coal mining heritage.
    So?

My grandfather and great grandfather worked in a laundry after immigrating to the US from China. (As a matter of fact, If memory serves me right, they owned the place)
    They very likely also had to deal with race discrimination right from the moment they stepped on American soil.

His decendants are all proud of that heritage, and thankful for their hard work did to support our family.
    None of my grandfather's children were given jobs at the laundry nor were they encouraged to seek jobs in a laundry in order to continue that legacy/heritage.
    Instead, they were encouraged to go to college, seek out thier own destiny, and both his children (my mother and uncle) had careers in other fields. (Of course you know, working in a laundry does tend to eat up the time needed to say, attend school and do your homework.)
    As far as I know, none of his grandchildren work in a laundry either.

You do not have to pass on your father's occupation to your children to be proud of his heritage or legacy. You can still honor your ancestor's legacy by remembering where they came from, cherishing thier memory, and treating it with gratitude and respect.
    Last edited by jolau; 12.20.09 at 4:05 PM.

Re: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

what gives you are anyone the right to jump inbetween an agreement beteween an employer and someone looking for a job? ... until a cleaner and cheaper version of energy can be proven effective, what ground do you have to stand on?

the disdain for individual liberty and freedom never ceases to amaze me from the left

Re: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

I thought we've been through this already.

We've already established that coal mining is an occupation that is often passed from generation to generation mainly because these people are in a poor part of the country and are either unable or unwilling to leave said areas and can't afford higher education without some sort of assistance.

Also established that coal mining is also a dominant industry in these areas, and also unhealthy to the employees that work there. (Nothing said about the environment except from you and Reines)

We've also already established that most people in thier right mind would most likely not seek employment as a coal miner in the first place. (Would you quit your job to mine coal? I think not.)

What ground are you standing on?

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    what gives you are anyone the right to jump inbetween an agreement beteween an employer and someone looking for a job? ... until a cleaner and cheaper version of energy can be proven effective, what ground do you have to stand on?

the disdain for individual liberty and freedom never ceases to amaze me from the left
    That's shaky ground to stand on, Bigeasy. Using that logic, how could we enact any laws at all? The fact is, society DOES have the right to enact laws and regulations to look out for and protect the greater good. That's settled law.
    Libertarianism (like communism) may theoretically work well in a very small society. But it would never work in a country of 330+ million people. Never.

whether or not I would quit my job to go work in a coal mine has nothing to do with my disagreement that neither you nor anybody else should have the right to shut down a legal business and deny employment to someone who is willing to do the job and has chosen to do the job...

it is legal job and it is producing a legal product... shutting it down based on flawed and manipulated "science" defies the protections awarded to all in the Consitituion.

just because it is not a great job does not give you or anyone else the right to take it away...