Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

Post Re: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

I don't see how anybody poor having their jobs taken from them can be casually over looked

and yes I did mention the farms being shut down due to the same stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    Some of BE's points were that people in unemployment/welfare lines want to work in coal mines, or that people in coal mines had a choice to work there or not. I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about the farms in CA being shut down.
    Ah yes... the old "you're only poor and downtrodden if you WANT to be meme that Republicans love so much. Like all those who have to work in dirty, unhealthy and unsafe mines CHOOSE to be there! Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I don't see how anybody poor having their jobs taken from them can be casually over looked

and yes I did mention the farms being shut down due to the same stupidity
    C-mon Bigeasy- this isn't about taking jobs away from poor people. (As if Republicans ever cared one iota about poor people )
    As our society changes, jobs change also. It's inevitable- it's called progress. New jobs are opened up as old ones become obsolete. It's happened over and over and over again.
    Our need to address global warming/climate change trumps any one particular job... especially a job promoting old, obsolete and damaging products.

Re: Dems and obama out to destroy even MORE jobs

First of all, I bet you the farms (Especially where California is concerned) would rather take the Mexican illegals than any American since all they have to do is pick up the illegals at some street corner and hand them cash when they are done, plus the Mexican illegals are cheaper. Therefore the only Americans losing thier jobs over this are the farmers themselves.
    But I call that poetic justice/bad karma since they've been doing something illegal and got away with it this entire time.

And as everyone else has been saying, perhaps those getting layoffs at the coal mines will provide opportunity to work elsewhere. Noone wants to work in a coal mine.
    Would you drop your job to work in a coal mine? I think not.

yall are acting as if they were in a forced labor situation...

they agreed to work and their jobs were taken from them based on junk science... increasing our energy costs even further..

it is the opinion of those who lost their jobs that counts, not those who blindly listen to lying scientists who think they just helped a polar bear while putting someone in appalatchia in the welfare line...

This is about people who work in hazardous conditions in the coal mines, cause those are the only good paying jobs available in the area. Therefore, yes they are working in the coal mines because there is little else. That doesn't mean that these communities wouldn't welcome other types of good paying jobs, but it is what it is.

It's poor people, in poor US communities and if it's hazardous ...then so what...their choice cause they have nothing else.

The only person talking about the environmental benefits/hazards of using coal as a source of energy are you and Reines.

The only talking point that you brought up I've been taking on is whether or not closing farms in CA is going to have a major impact on the ability of Americans to find/keep work. Especially since many farms in CA make the decision to hire illegal Mexicans immigrants to save money rather than take on Americans that are more likely to expect higher wages and more benefits. A point that you seem to ignore (unless of course you agree with me).

As far as coal mining goes, Catstrack, Carrie, and I have all been talking about what health and economic conditions the coal miners are living under, especially if they are in a less developed part of the country. Being underground mining coal and breathing coal dust day in, day out is unhealthy, plain and simple.

Are they in a forced labor situation? No.
    Are they in a situation where the only labor available IS coal mining? Yes.

First of all, coal mining is an occupation that pays enough to live on and maybe support a small family up to a certain point, requires minimal education, but not much else.
    Secondly, when one enters the coal mining industry, they are often unable to afford to send thier children to college. (Obviously this worsens if they have a large family)
    Third, when these children graduate from high school, with coal mining being one of the few jobs available and little to no chance of attending college due to thier limited finances, thier parents often tell them to seek labor in the coal mine.
    The cycle continues. Not much change since the Industrial Revolution if you ask me.

But laying off at the coal mines (or as I suggested, enacting a hiring freeze and lowering numbers by attrittion) would mean they would have to seek employment elsewere (IE: Move out of the coal mining town), perhaps go to college, and maybe break this cycle.

and the point you ignore is that the govt has shut these farms down due to water for salmon... why not let the farms continue, and then enforce immigration law? I guess that would be too complicated though right?... so since we can't enforce law, let's enact another one and just shut the damned thing down and screw the farmers...nice logic there..

poor people go to college all the time... lot's of options here in this country for them to do so...much more than any other place in the world... lots of colleges in west virginia and many of the students have parents that work in coal mines...

some people are proud of the coal mining heritage.. it is there choice and should not be dictated by liberals who hate coal... one day we will have cheaper and cleaner alternatives, until then, as long as it provides a cheap source of energy, there will be jobs for those who choose to mine it and employment decisions should be between the employers and the workers...

not everyone is cut out to be a liberal college professor or a global warming scientist whose only agenda is to confiscate tax dollars for junk and manipulated research..

so in order to improve a communitiy's standard of living, you take away their jobs so they are force to replece those jobs by something YOU decide they should like and appreciate more? whose going to waive that magic wand and produce those jobs?

As I said before, I call that bad karma/poetic justice.
    The farmer still looses his farm, and the Mexican illegals he hired are still out of work. Both are still being punished, abeit for something else, but the result is the same. I'm still satisfied.

As I said, a coal miner's salary might be enough to support a family, but that money gets more and more limited as the family gets larger. Some of these children may have opportunity to go to college, but some may not. If one child goes to college/military and never comes back, but the other child is sent to the coal mine, you are still continuing the cycle.