PDA

View Full Version : The bridge collapse tragedy

mtj
8.2.07, 8:54 AM
What a horrifying thing. I am stunned that the death count is only at seven, but I think that will change. This is the stuff nightmares are made of. Prayers out for all those touched by this awful, awful occurrence.

reines
8.2.07, 3:18 PM
Unfortunately, these kinds of things are going to become more common, I think, as our infrastructure continues to be ignored and de-funded. It's a huge national problem.
Too bad we don't have leaders who think investing in our infrastructure right here at home is more important than pouring a half trillion dollars into Iraq.

bobspelledbackward
8.5.07, 7:55 PM
I don't think pulling Iraq into this problem is necessarily the way to go with this. Call me niave, but America needs to fix its infastructure and fight evil where it can.

Catstrack
8.7.07, 5:58 AM
I don't think pulling Iraq into this problem is necessarily the way to go with this. Call me niave, but America needs to fix its infastructure and fight evil where it can.

I don't think you are naive, but there is a relavent point to comparing the money spent overseas to rebuild infrastructures to what's left over for the US ones. The US defense budget requested for 2007 is $513 billion dollars for overseas projects which also includes trying to rebuild basic utilities in Iraq and Afghanistan...and paying for the military intervention. In the major cities in Iraq, like Baghdad, utilities below pre-war invasion. Civilians with clean running water, electricity, sewage....many are living in primative conditions brought on by the Iraqi war.

I guess it all depends on one's perspective as to the notion that any Arab or Islamic people are commited to some kind of democracy that the masses never asked for. Nor was/is democracy a primary goal in the Koran where, unless those who subscribe to secular rule in the Middle East, it's kinda hard to break centuries old tribal doctrines and religious practices.

In America, infrastrutures...roads/bridges, electric grids, water resources have suffered for a very long time. Always with some funding. but not enough to do it all.

If we can't take care of our own resources, then who's gonna take care of them while taxpayers throw their money away on foreign country's infrastructures?

carrie
8.8.07, 6:11 PM
How can you not pull Iraq in? We are spending a crapload of money on rebuilding their infrastructure and as we won't raise taxes here the money has to be come from somewhere. We haven't taken care of our infrastructure the way we should have. We take it for granted. There have been plenty of warning signs that we need to spend significant money in this area...think the blackouts a couple of years ago. Our infrastructure allows us to be the economic superpower that we are. What would happen if every major city in the US had a major bridge/tunnel failure? What would happen if our railways started having issues? We need to bring our infrastructure into the 21st century.

Catstrack
8.10.07, 4:07 AM
How can you not pull Iraq in? We are spending a crapload of money on rebuilding their infrastructure and as we won't raise taxes here the money has to be come from somewhere. We haven't taken care of our infrastructure the way we should have. We take it for granted. There have been plenty of warning signs that we need to spend significant money in this area...think the blackouts a couple of years ago. Our infrastructure allows us to be the economic superpower that we are. What would happen if every major city in the US had a major bridge/tunnel failure? What would happen if our railways started having issues? We need to bring our infrastructure into the 21st century.

I agree and this goes along with supposed Homeland Security, too. Aside from the fact that there are MANY aging roads, bridges, utility systems, ie: power grids.... that are in dire need of repair...there's also the issue of possible compromise where monies are going elsewhere.

Ranting here, but the national costs we are incurring by throwing money overseas is a travestry! Put that money into US infrastruture, public schools, whatever!

I'm unhappy with both major parties that have allowed this, so it's illness to me that's on both. Billions of dollars (and much more in human lives) wasted on Arab/middle East states who have historically, time and time again, rejected outside influences.

All this for 19 individuals who outsmarted the system and hijacked planes on 9-11. Horrible!!!!, but other than accomplishing their goals on that day...they also were able to divert American assets (knowing this or not) and bleed monies that might be better spent right here in the good ole USA..

MeganG
8.10.07, 10:13 AM
Can I just throw a plug in for the air traffic control system? Ever article I've read has said that this system is completely antiquated. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies as I get on a plane. And since the beginning of June I've been on two seperate airplanes that flew threw the wakes of two other planes. It was a scary feeling.

Catstrack
8.15.07, 3:39 AM
Can I just throw a plug in for the air traffic control system? Ever article I've read has said that this system is completely antiquated. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies as I get on a plane. And since the beginning of June I've been on two seperate airplanes that flew threw the wakes of two other planes. It was a scary feeling.

I'm not a good flyer. I would be better if I could sit in the cockpit and backseat drive...lol. One thing to keep in mind is that, for the major part, people flying do eventually get to their destinations. On time? With checked luggage at the baggage pick-up area? That's a different question...lol.

But, there's no doubt that flight issues could be better resolved and that the system is flawed on several levels....I agree.

reines
8.16.07, 7:56 PM
I disagree. IMO, fixing our infrastructure should be a priority- and not put on the back burner just because the military-industrial complex has control of our govt.
Fighting evil wherever we can is a noble goal- but not very practical....or realistic, considering our deficit and debt level.
It's unbelievable to me that apparently bridges are still "inspected" in this country with binoculers and hammers........while the defense dept, spends billions on the very latest technological gimmickry and innovations!
A country that lets it's infrastructure decay and crumble while the folks at the top get richer and richer will not be a leader in any sense of the word....or able to "fight evil" anywhere.
What's been happening in the past three decades is that money is slowly being sifted to the top........while the great bulk of the country goes wanting. This doesn't bode well for anyone's future.
We won't be the greatest country in the world if we can't even manage to make our bridges and highways safe. There is a limited amount of revenue- and every dollar that's put in a contrator's pocket in Iraq is NOT put into our FUTURE- our infrastructure right here at home.