PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuits..good, bad, indifferent?

MeganG
7.24.07, 2:00 PM
A woman is suing Con Edison in NYC over the explosion last week saying it brought back painful memories of 9/11. She lost her sister in the 9/11 attacks and the explosion happened outside her building.

While I completely feel for this woman, why didn't she move out of NYC? I would think living there every day would bring back more memories? And is Con Edison to blame? If she had been injured in the blast I'd be lining up behind her. But she wasn't physically injurered. Her injuries are emotional due to PSTD over 9/11.

Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_on_re_us/manhattan_explosion

reines
7.24.07, 3:29 PM
I think this is ridiculous. Did Con Edison deliberately cause this explosion? Is it feasible that there could never, ever be any explosions again in her area.....just to keep her at peace?
Lawsuits like this just add fuel to the ranks of those who want to stop all lawsuits.

Catstrack
7.25.07, 3:06 AM
Maybe the woman had an apartment or house...or a job nearby, that she either couldn't or wouldn't leave after 9-11. There was one person who died (if I remember correctly) and some others injured in this recent explosion that probably will (family, themselves) have a lawsuit, but bad memories or loss on some other occassion (9-11) is (IMHO) going to be hard to justify in a court setting now even if PSTD, post 9-11 is the plaintiff's reasoning.

Many of the utility systems in NYC are old and perhaps possible hazards, like in this case, but unless there is negligence proven by Con Ed there should be no grounds for legal action other than those who suffered direct injuries.

I'm sorry for the loss of her sister, too. But, bad stuff happens. :-( This particular incident was not pre-meditated by the company.

big easy
7.31.07, 9:37 PM
another example of how freakish the parasites have been allowed to become... the next one is the Canadian group of Indians who will be suing our energy companies because their ice is melting and their paradise is being destroyed..

there is a man who murdered his wife in prison in MA... he is suing the state for a sex change operation even though he/she will never leave prison...(unless Duckakis get's re-elected and issues a life time furlough)..

murderers suing for sex changes and smooth peanut butter; I could go on and on but it doesn't matter...nobody cares about the foundation of our financial sector anyway...

these lawsuits just show we are becoming more and more parasitic and immoral and ignore stealing...

reines
8.1.07, 3:05 PM
C-mon bigeasy- a lot of these outrageous lawsuits get thrown out of court.
But look at the bigger picture. It's really a predictable result of our culture based on unregulated capitalism and greed, isn't it? It's all about money, always. Can you blame folks for dutifully grabbing as much as they can....as easily as they can?
Maybe if we had a society based on something other than money and greed...............we wouldn't have so many people rushing to cash in.

big easy
8.1.07, 10:47 PM
why should they be allowed to get their foot that far in the door?

why are you attempting to draw parallels between intelligent hard working business people with lazy parasitic ambulance chasers?

you seem to have a hard time defining the difference between hanging on to what is yours through earning it and outright theievery...

reines
8.2.07, 3:14 PM
why should they be allowed to get their foot that far in the door?

why are you attempting to draw parallels between intelligent hard working business people with lazy parasitic ambulance chasers?

you seem to have a hard time defining the difference between hanging on to what is yours through earning it and outright theievery...
Why should they be allowed to get their foot in the door? Because it's how our system works. It's called FREEDOM. Would you really want a country where citizens can't legally address their perceived wrongs done to them? I don't think so!
You can't deny that greed and material acquisition are the prime motivators in our culture- can you? I don't care whther you are a business owner or someone on welfare- you're still a part of the mindset we've encouraged in this country that places money at the top of all else.
Isn't it up to a judge to determine what is "outright theivery" (with no legal basis), and what is a justifiable complaint? Or does Rush Limbaugh and the coterie of rightwing outrage peddlers somehow have the last word? When did their opinions supercede the system we have in place? I must have missed that.

big easy
8.2.07, 10:35 PM
it's all about choices reines...some choose to side with those who work hard, don't steal and contribute to society and whose existance makes life better for those around them..

and their are others who choose to side with the parasitic layabouts whose way of life is just to suck the blood out of those who have worked hard for what they have... parasitic thieves versus producing contributors to our American way of life....

your choice

reines
8.3.07, 2:47 PM
I disagree- you can't just neatly put people in such categories. You aren't seriously saying that all those who bring lawsuits are greedy parasites who don't work? That's just ludicrous.
I look at it as a matter of accountability. Mostly. No doubt there are lawsuits that are totally without merit.......as well as ones probably brought with hopes of financial windfalls predominate in mind. But that's a very small part of the system. Those who want business to have NO accountbility to the public...or responsibility, magnify and exaggerate these kinds of lawsuits and use them to try to turn public policy away from justified recourse.
Do you really want to live in a country where YOU, the average citizen, has no way of legally redressing wrong done? I can't believe you would. The system is set up to filter out the truly meritless lawsuits- and the few that perhaps get through anyway are, IMO, a small price to pay for the greater good.
This isn't about lazy, parasitic people getting rich off the backs of the hard-working. It's about everyone, you and me, having the right and ability to right wrongs done in a legal way.
Or would you prefer the mob posse or tribal Taliban "courts" as a substitute??

big easy
8.4.07, 12:26 AM
big bidness contributing to repubs for tort reform versus trial lawyers contributing to dems for "citizens rights"...

it ain't rocket science... it's all about ambulance chasing versus hard work...

reines
8.4.07, 8:23 PM
big bidness contributing to repubs for tort reform versus trial lawyers contributing to dems for "citizens rights"...

it ain't rocket science... it's all about ambulance chasing versus hard work...
Until you get screwed over and need a good lawyer to protect your rights. Funny how Republicans who like to castigate lawyers always make sure they have a good one when they need one, isn't it? LOL