PDA

View Full Version : Appaloosa

buffalogal
3.29.09, 6:57 PM
This movie stars Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson (two of my faves) as gunslingers trying to bring peace to the town of Appaloosa sometime in the late 1800s. The town is under siege from Randall Bragg (the scrumptious Jeremy Irons) who Harris/Mortenson are trying to bring to justice for a murder.

I liked a lot about this movie. For starters, Viggo, Ed and Jeremy are all near the top of my "sexiest male movie stars" list, so there's a plus right there. The relationship between Harris/Mortenson is beautifully acted - subtle and honest. They are two men who have been through a lot together and who respect each other tremendously. And Irons brings an air of menace that was well done. The movie also looked brilliant on Blu-Ray.

The part I hated, though, was the casting of Renee Zellweger as the female lead. I have never understood her appeal - she certainly didn't strike me as the beauty who would be worth sacrificing anything for ... I just wish they'd cast someone else in that role.

Overall, it was a pretty good movie and well worth a watch if you like Westerns. (P.S. It was also directed and co-written by Ed Harris - triple threat!!)