PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

buffalogal
3.8.09, 7:20 PM
So, let me start by saying that I have not read the graphic novel. My boyfriend, however, has read it a number of times and was looking forward to this movie perhaps more than any other in recent years.

My view: I thought it was ok. I didn't hate it like I thought I might. I thought some of the casting was terrible (the people who play Silk Spectre II and Dan are very blah, and I thought the guy who played Ozymandius was very effeminate - not what I pictured from what my BF had described). I thought that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was good as the Comedian and Jackie Earle Healey was good as Rorschach. Billy Crudup was ok, but with that character, it's hard to do much "acting," I think. Anyway, I knew that they'd be cutting out a lot from the graphic novel because my BF had filled me in. But not having read it and not being overly invested, I thought it was ok as a stand-alone movie. There were some interesting aspects (Ozymandias' plan to bring world peace, the idea of normal people acting as superheroes) and some stuff that was a bore (Dan and Laurie).

My BF, on the other hand, was a little disappointed. He knew they couldn't cover the massive amount of stuff in the graphic novel in anything less than 5-6 hours, so he was fine with the stuff they cut out, but he thought it lost a lot of the character development and underlying motivations that gave the comic its depth.