PDA

View Full Version : Pets-where did yours come from?

keb273
7.15.07, 7:49 PM
Hi,
I run a small time animal rescue and volunteer at a local horse rescue and also the animal shelter. I just wanted everyone out there to know the importance of adopting from these organizations. Not all pets are at a shelter because they aren't good pets! I have adopted 3 horses from horse rescues and numerous cats and dogs. These animals have all been great pets and wonderful companions. Shelter pets are more appreciatative of the love we can share with them and are really grateful to have a home. A shelter pet costs much less than a pet from a breeder or store (cats/dogs usually range from $25-125 and horses can range from $100-2000...with most being in the $400-800 range) and usually is up to date on shots, wormings, and is already altered. Many shelters also have no risk adoptions, so that if your pet doesn't with out with you, you can just return him/her and choose another. This is true with many horse rescue organizations. Some even offer refund of purchase price for a period of time. Shelter animals are loving and most have been evaluated by a professional for abilities/temperments etc. Please consider making adoption your next option!
I also foster for the local humane society and do rehab. Most humane societies have foster programs for people to keep litters of kittens or puppies until they are old enough to be adopted. This is a great way to help out, have fun, and always have a playful youngster around the house! :winkq: Check with your local shelter.

KAK
7.23.07, 1:58 PM
Good for you! I have multiple pets from the humane society. I have to agree with you, adoption is the way to go. I do want to mention that sometimes the paperwork for the humane society turns people off and discourages them from adoption. I know they require it for the protection of the animals, but for some people, they don't choose to jump through all of those hoops. Surely there could be a way that pets were protected and people were made to feel comfortable throughout the adoption process. My vet even said he has had discussions with people who have given up adopting at the Humane society...which defeats the purpose!

keb273
7.24.07, 11:20 AM
I agree. Some places do have a lot of "hoops" for potential adopters to jump through and this can be confusing. However, not all places are like this. There are some shelters that do not require any agreement at all. It just depends on the individual shelter. There are also other great places to adopt from which include sites like petfinder.org where both individuals, shelters and local rescue groups can post their available pets. The "free" section of a local newspaper is also a great place for pets whose owners just can't keep them any longer. These pets may already be house trained/spayed or neutered...or again they may still need to be. One can also do a search on the internet for breed specific rescue groups if one is looking for a particular breed of pet. There are many options to find great pets that need homes other than a pet store (these pets often come from cruel "puppy/kitten mills") and though it is great to help that one pet, it isn't worth it to support the industry. Again, shelter/rescue pets make great companions. Check out your local rescue/shelter or go online to petfinder.org to see who is out there waiting for you.

KAK
7.24.07, 4:04 PM
Do you have any experience with the Bureau of land management horse auctions? I know they have some requirements, but it seems like a neat idea to have their online auctions.

Thanks!

keb273
7.25.07, 10:05 AM
I don't have any personal experience with the BLM adoptions. Their website is www.blm.gov (http://www.blm.gov) and it usually has a curreny listing of available wild horses and burros on it...most of these auctions are held out west. I have heard that wild horses make great sound, easy-keeping riding horses, but can be hard to train...so they are not for beginners. If you check out dreamhorse.com, agdirect.com, equine.com, equinehits.com or any of the hundreds of other horse for sale sites on the internet and do a search for mustangs, usually a lot of them come up, both trained and untrained. There are also a couple of horse rescues that have them in and out periodically. You could try www.westwindhorserescue.com (http://www.westwindhorserescue.com) (she has 2 right now), or www.voiceforhorses.org (http://www.voiceforhorses.org) (she has several), or mustang alley in KY and second wind horse rescue in VA (I don't know their addresses but they usually have a decent selection.) Do you have horses?

KAK
7.27.07, 10:39 AM
I have just purchased a farmette. I was thinking about taking in a horse or two (probably rescued variety). I have rescued dogs and thought since I have the space, I would look for a horse. I don't want a major bahavioral headache, just an older or injured horse that needs a home. I take it you would suggest ruling out the BLM as I am relatively new to rescue?:madcow:

keb273
7.27.07, 1:37 PM
I wouldn't suggest adopting a mustang that hasn't been professionally started from the BLM or any other organization for any beginner horseperson. Wild horses can be a big handful at times and are best left for those with experience...though with the right training, they can make great pets. I would check with your local rescue agencies if you are looking to adopt a horse vs. to purchase one from an individual. Most rescues have had their horses for a period of time and have already evaluated each horse for its suitability and its behavior. Do an internet search for rescues in your state....be sure to check their adoption requirements as well, because some only adopt within a certain distance of their facility or do not adopt to first time horse owners....but many do...just make sure you check out their requirements before you fall in love with an animal at their facility. Happy horse hunting.

KAK
7.28.07, 8:27 AM
You sound like you are familiar with the rescue process. I had thought about heading to an auction. I have read there are alot of horses who are shipped for meat. That may be my best bet, as the ones at rescues have already been saved. A friend of mine has a trailer, so we were talking about hitting up a notorious auction...New Holland, PA, and buying a horse from there. Does that sound too risky? I realize it would not be pre screened as the rescues do, but it would give a horse a second chance.

keb273
7.28.07, 10:09 AM
I think if a rescue is what you have in mind...an auction is a great idea. There are many local livestock auctions across the nation that have horses in need of good homes. Some are in rough shape...others are not...but they all could use a good, safe, permanent home. The risks associated with auctions include purchasing an unhealthy animal (which could be costly or heartbreaking) or purchasing an animal unsuitable for your level of experience. If you spend a bit of time with the horse prior to purchase and watch it carefully for a suitable temperment for yourself and your needs, I think that the benefits would outweight the risks involved...especially since you are just looking for a buddy horse rather than a show/riding animal. If you were looking at an auction for a riding animal, I would take someone with you who was knowledgeable of horses temperments, the local sellers (if possible), and conformation to check for soundness issues. Sounds like you will give a horse a great second chance at a happy home.

KAK
7.28.07, 12:09 PM
Guess what:cloud9:?
A couple of my friends who have horses have agreed to go with me to an auction on Monday! One of them has a trailer, and both have horse experience. I am hoping to find the right one that needs a second chance. I am so excited! We are heading out to the local tack store to buy a halter, leadropes, etc...things that I need to start out today.
I will keep you posted! Thanks for your help so far. I'm sure I will be asking for advice:confused:

gobluuue
10.30.07, 8:55 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying about adoption but I think a big message that needs to get out is about adopting retired thoroughbread horses. As far as I know, there is a bill before Congress that will make it illegal to slaughter retired race horses. If this bill passes, the thoroughbread rescue farms will be swamped with horses and people will not know what to do. It will become very expensive for these agnecies to operate without alot of donations and many otehr complications. So please, tell a friend about adopting a retired race horse

dylanangel75
10.30.07, 9:58 PM
My kitten was rescued from a very kind woman. These poor little cuties were left in her yard in terrible condition. She took them in, took them to the vet and had them treated. She then found good homes for them all. I donated money to her for spending her money on these little babies when they weren't even her responsibility

juner
12.8.07, 1:37 PM
I got my dog from a local pet shop ...originally was shipped from minnesotta to nys

Alleycat
1.7.08, 11:05 PM
My sylvester came from a pet shop I bought him as a kitten on my birthday.Noodles the female.my husband found at work and brought her home.Boo,my other male cat I got him as a kitten at a shelter.I luv my cats.

flutterby1081
3.7.08, 5:32 PM
my pet came from breeders. i know that everyone is going to think that is wrong but i love my babies so much.

Paxie2
3.9.08, 1:49 AM
animal shelter and veternary school. we wont buy pets via a pet store unless it's from a shelter.

dieterror
4.21.08, 11:59 AM
i rescued my hamsters(all 5 of them) from ads in the local paper. i'm kind of in competition with an individual in town who breeds snakes. he's always going around trying to get all the rodents people advertise as 'free to a good home'.

Java747
4.21.09, 9:05 AM
I don't have any pets at the moment, but I used to have two cats that we got when our neighbor's cat had kittens.

See, the neighbor's cat was an indoor cat, but it got out of the house one day and...surprise! kittens.

I'm in an apartment now, so pets aren't really an option, but I'll definitely go through the humane society shelter when its time for a new one :)

lilyput
11.17.09, 12:19 PM
I really admire what you do, I live in FL actually Boca Raton where there is a Humane Society center for rescuing, I went there to try to volunteer with my son, but the people there didn't care for our help. They are very famous here for being rude with people that try to approach them not just for volunteers, but for adoption. The conditions of the animals there are not so great I saw tons of little breed dogs in a room with blankets on the floor with feeses and they were going to feed them there. I understand that the money is always a problem, but that doesn't mean they have to be mean if you don't go to help them with a big check on your hand.
This days my way to help animals is by donating part of my sales money form eBay, sometimes I wish I have more since this creatures need so much! there are so many centers that need help not just here, but over the world! like I got a mail the other day about bears in India well, etc. I am glad some people have a good heart to share a little bit.

migsly
12.10.09, 10:49 PM
My pet is a stray cat that wandered to my back doorstep 2 years ago. I've been feeding him ever since. He's still wild but I like having him around. I also feed an opossum that wandered up to my doorstep when he saw the cat do it. They are pals. :)