PDA

View Full Version : Summer viewing.......or booing?

TangoTia
7.9.07, 5:03 PM
TV really is a "vast wasteland" in the summertime. So says I, who has years of TV viewing under my expanding belt. Of course, my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans since I spend more time with my nose in a book while I'm watching (?) television. However, I can't remember a summer when the TV has been turned off so much because we're just plain bored with watching anything that isn't on the travel or history channels and most anything on HD channels. Which reminds me....anyone watch any of the Planet Earth series? Liz....pay attention, do you get any HD in your part of Jolly Ol' England?

Of course those who know me, know I have Big Brother 8 to entertain me part of the week and So You Think You Can Dance. That's about it except for a new show called Burn Notice on USA network we discovered. Anyone see it?

Jump in with what you're watching, tired of watching, sneer at, laugh at or gag over.

Ta ta! TT

Annie
7.9.07, 7:04 PM
Let's see, what have we been watching? We both have a serious HBO series addiction, watching John from Cincinatti, Flight of the Conchords and Big Love. On regular TV it's The Closer. And Big Brother often enough to know what's happening (we tend to watch it mor often after a few evictions). Maybe some Monk when the new ones start.

A few weeks ago we binged on Dead Like Me, got the DVDs at the library and watched both seasons in 2 or 3 weeks. It's a fun way to watch TV, especially when the summer drought hits. We both loved it, by the way.

I'm sure there's more, it seems like the TV is on every evening. I'll have to pay more attention to what is on it ;)

soapyCJ
7.9.07, 11:19 PM
Well for me it is Big Brother, but I did miss Sunday night, need to get use to when its on. We're a big Jericho fans and it came back on Friday night but it was a re-run. They're suppose to be showing some new shows. DH watching History, Sci-fi, Military so thats when I'm on puter. On Sat. when nothing is on and I'm cleaning house the tv is on sirus radio, usually Elvis. He's still alive you know!!!! Now when new seasons start its CSI, Without a Trace, Ghost Whisperer, Dancing With the Stars and of course Jericho. Plus my soaps that I am always behind on or I ff thru them.

Take care, CJ

TangoTia
7.10.07, 7:27 PM
We don't get HBO, so haven't seen the shows you mentioned Annie. However, I'd forgotten about "The Closer." Do enjoy that show and I'm allowing my hubby to be in love with Kyra Sedgwick. Networks like TNT, USA and others that have good shows on them, like "The Closer", we have a problem with remembering because we don't normally watch those channels. Having to reprogram our brains so we channel surf more often.
Ta ta! Kay

TangoTia
7.10.07, 7:34 PM
I'm going to have the same problem with Big Brother, CJ. Remembering it's on 3 nights a week is hard to get my mind around each season that it starts. Yes! I knew it.....I just knew Elvis was alive. Thank you for verifing it for me! We also were Jericho fans and was happy all the fan clatter and clamour forced the network to rethink that cancellation, at least for now. Hmmmm, I'm starting to realize that i possibly watch more TV than I thought I did.

What's the temp like in your neck of the woods, CJ. We finally got a break today and have had a wonderful 78 for a high. Yea!

soapyCJ
7.10.07, 10:40 PM
I'm going to have the same problem with Big Brother, CJ. Remembering it's on 3 nights a week is hard to get my mind around each season that it starts. Yes! I knew it.....I just knew Elvis was alive. Thank you for verifing it for me! We also were Jericho fans and was happy all the fan clatter and clamour forced the network to rethink that cancellation, at least for now. Hmmmm, I'm starting to realize that i possibly watch more TV than I thought I did.

What's the temp like in your neck of the woods, CJ. We finally got a break today and have had a wonderful 78 for a high. Yea!
We don't get any of the movies channels either, but dh is thinking about changing our satellite service and adding it to the bedroom TV. I currently only get locals channels on the br tv. Woo hoo, look out Lifetime and Hallmark. Two channels that dh cares NOTHING about. :rolleyez:

Speaking of Elvis, on the sirus station he does some talking too and I love to hear him laugh.

Not sure what our temp was today, but right now it is 78. We had a little thunderstorm late this afternoon and it cooled down. Wind blew hard for a bit too. Sounds like you have the perfect temp, not too hot and not too cold. I love days like that. Here we have high humidity which makes you feel sticky when you're outside.

Note>>>>>this was my first time trying to quote something, so I hope I did it right. :confused:

:winkq: CJ
Oh goodie, it worked, I'm not too old to learn something new. LOL!!!!!

Annie
7.10.07, 11:27 PM
Lovely quotes, CJ. Brava.

So, you have satellite now? Michael would like to switch (we have Comcast cable, which he hates) but I have been dreading the process of switching. Have you been happy with it? Is it pretty storm-proof?

95 degrees/95% humidity here in NY today. Ugh, hoping for cool, at least by comparison, later in the week. Meanwhile I'm glued to the great indoors :rolleyes:

yogaliz
7.11.07, 3:09 PM
Hi there
See I was paying attention! TV is pretty lame here - not just in the Summer either! I am not a big TV fan! Don't know what HD is? DH likes the History Channel - I watch some gardening shows and have started watching 'Brothers and Sisters' which is new here but probably long gone for you guys! Still reading Charles Frazier's Thirteenth Moon but just bought Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (Barbara Kingsolver).Pretty busy with garden and artwork - have some shows coming up! DD is in London presently which is a bit scary as we have had a few terror scares just recently - I was in London during the bombings in 2005! Life goes on though!
Hope you are all well
Liz x

yogaliz
7.11.07, 3:13 PM
Yikles!!! Big Brother!! Surely not our GB version.....it's awful-makes me ashamed to be British! I am sure you have a US version which has perfectly lovely inmates! Ours is full of fakes and wannabees!
Liz x

soapyCJ
7.11.07, 10:46 PM
Lovely quotes, CJ. Brava.

So, you have satellite now? Michael would like to switch (we have Comcast cable, which he hates) but I have been dreading the process of switching. Have you been happy with it? Is it pretty storm-proof?

95 degrees/95% humidity here in NY today. Ugh, hoping for cool, at least by comparison, later in the week. Meanwhile I'm glued to the great indoors :rolleyes:

Yes, we've had satellite for many years, started out with the 10ft dish (bad about freezing up in the winter) Then we went to dish network, now we are going to direct TV. We bought 2 HD tvs and they will set up 2 or 3 tvs for one price.

Storm proof, pretty much, but when we have a really BAD storm we turn the tv off. Sometimes it will say "signal lost" for awhile, but not too long. We are pleased with the smaller dish that sits on top of your house.

:) CJ

Annie
7.12.07, 6:08 PM
yogaliz, I think the main difference between the US BB and the GB BB is that here (US) the producers have done everything short of begging to get the hamsters to hook up and nothing has worked (oh, wait... maybe one actual incident of s-e-x?). Ours couldn't be less real if they were made of, hmm, was going to say plastic, but half of them are largely silicon, so I guess they are made of plastic. Worse, they all think they are going to be stars when they leave, have sitcoms! Go party on the red carpet with Paris! Wheee! It wasn't so pathetic the first year, but st this point, they have to be really stupid to still believe that fame and/or fortune will follow them out of the House.

TangoTia
7.12.07, 7:00 PM
Liz, I'm sure the shows are very similar. The one here is so tacky with some of the most replusive characters that walk the earth on it. However, I watch it faithfully every season because it's like a scab you can't leave alone. Annie described it so well I won't even try to add more. I think I mostly watch it because the house guests make me feel soooooooo good about myself! Glad you showed up, I've wondered about you. Stop being such a stranger!

yogaliz
7.13.07, 5:07 AM
Is HD a channel or do you mean High Definintion?
Watched a good movie last night - The Night Listener - good thriller with Robin Williams and Toni Colette1
Liz x

yogaliz
7.13.07, 5:11 AM
Annie/TT
sounds like the same quality house mates both sides of the Atlantic in BB! I think they should do a senior version! Lol! Any volunteers?
Liz x

mtj
7.16.07, 4:36 PM
I'm going to try Holly Hunter's new show "Saving Grace" which starts next week on TNT. It looks like something I might like.

yogaliz
7.17.07, 1:16 PM
I like Holly Hunter so I will look out for this show. It will probably be next year before we get it !
Liz x

EZLoving
7.17.07, 11:07 PM
Hello all! All that's on our tv is BASEBALL. I can't complain though because I have my own tv and can watch whatever I want so I watch Monk and then Psyche which is also very funny. Other than that, everything is a rerun. I keep watching HGTV and getting the urge to grab a sludge hammer and wack a wall down. Thank god I'm not a compulsive person (right!). I also still watch Antiques Roadshow but the boy plays baseball almost every night and I wouldn't miss a game for the world. Mostly watching Marshall grow up is my entertainment.

love,
eldri

yogaliz
7.20.07, 3:32 PM
Hi EZ
you know we don't have baseball over here. Summer sports are cricket and tennis mainly - I guess you hear about Wimbledon? Football (soccer) takes a break in the summer - used to be for a couple months but these days its more like a couple weeks! What do you make of the Beckhams invading your country?
Liz x

Cosmoqueen
8.10.07, 6:49 PM
Wow!!! New digs!!!

It looks like a lot of toys ro play with. For those of you from "that other board" it reminds me of our first time in chat when we played with all the icons and gadgets.

I had to respond to Summer viewing. Anybody hooked on Damages? It just started a few weeks ago on the FX network. Soooo good with Glenn Close as a _itchy lawyer (didn't know if I could use the b word here.) :censored: Lots of twists and turns and excellent acting.

Also hoooked on Singing Bee with Joey Fatone. The only song I knew all the words to was "It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to" What does that say about my life? LOL!:jesterbob:

Saw Chailover recently and we decided this new board was too complicated .( I tried to register and it said cosmoqueen already existed. Finally remembered my password to get on here.) But I got brave today plus it's too hot to do anything outside. Been a busy summer but not enough space here to go into it. It's all good!

Stay cool all.

Cosmoqueen:queen:

soapyCJ
8.10.07, 11:05 PM
Wow!!! New digs!!!

It looks like a lot of toys ro play with. For those of you from "that other board" it reminds me of our first time in chat when we played with all the icons and gadgets.

I had to respond to Summer viewing. Anybody hooked on Damages? It just started a few weeks ago on the FX network. Soooo good with Glenn Close as a _itchy lawyer (didn't know if I could use the b word here.) :censored: Lots of twists and turns and excellent acting.

Also hoooked on Singing Bee with Joey Fatone. The only song I knew all the words to was "It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to" What does that say about my life? LOL!:jesterbob:

Saw Chailover recently and we decided this new board was too complicated .( I tried to register and it said cosmoqueen already existed. Finally remembered my password to get on here.) But I got brave today plus it's too hot to do anything outside. Been a busy summer but not enough space here to go into it. It's all good!

Stay cool all.

So good to see you drop in. Hang around awhile, you'll get use to this. Glad you've had a good summer. Hot here, 105 today. Too hot to do anything outside except play with the garden hose.

I don't think you have to register again, since we were already members here. Anyway, I didn't.

You stay cool too, CJ :winkq:

TangoTia
8.11.07, 4:58 PM
Hmmmmm, smashing walls urge Eldri? I think you'd best change that TV channel and back away slowly. I don't think you're the best person to have a sledge hammer in hand. I think watching baseball is probably the best thing for you. Thanks for weighing in on your viewing habits though. I think. You're a hoot!

Ta ta! Kay

TangoTia
8.11.07, 8:54 PM
Well look at you, Ms CQ! You not only found your way here, but you did a very good job. I don't know how you could be intimidated by this new format 'cause, you know me.........I generally run the other way when something new is introduced into my world. But, Annie & Dr. Mike have made this change very user friendly and it only took even me a short time of poking around to get it figured out. Is a bit like the old days, eh? Bunch of over-the-hill children having a blast.

Funny you should mention "Damages." A friend and I were just talking about that show and how we forget when it's on so haven't caught it yet. I need to find it then sit Bob's gizmo to record it. That's what we had to do with a couple of other shows we enjoy but would forget because they weren't on networks we normally watched. The Closer, Heartland & Saving Grace on TNT and Burn Notice on USA are some we're really starting to enjoy but have to record or we'd never catch them.I also like Singing Bee but, I'm always amazed at how many songs I THINK I know the lyrics to and discover I don't. Very challenging for my poor overworked brain cells.

How kewl is it there's an icon to match your name! I think there should be a dancing face just for me

Glad you came out to play Cosmo. Don't forget your way back and bring Chai with you.

Ta ta! TT

TangoTia
8.11.07, 9:01 PM
Liz, don't know if it's anything like your verison, but ours is fairly loathsome & skanky and I'm ashamed to say I wouldn't miss a single episode. My life is terribly pitiful and I admit it. Ah well, there are worse things I could own up to. I suppose. Perhaps. Hmmmmmm, offhand, can't think of any. Now, I shall go bury my head in a pillow and sob. So, do you watch your version?

Ta ta! TT

Cosmoqueen
8.12.07, 6:12 PM
So good to see you drop in. Hang around awhile, you'll get use to this. Glad you've had a good summer. Hot here, 105 today. Too hot to do anything outside except play with the garden hose.

I don't think you have to register again, since we were already members here. Anyway, I didn't.

You stay cool too, CJ :winkq:

Thanks for the welcome back CJ. 105! Wow. If I remember you're down south. I thought we had it bad! I didn't notice the sign-in command at first. Then it took me some time to remember my original password.:blush2ey:

Haven't figured out how to add a photo yet.

Been busy with Scrapbook Club:read:, Book Club :read:, Garden Club:palmtreez: (active neighborhood) and had a fantastic trip to Russia. Quite interesting!:surprisedq:(Can you tell I like to play with icons???)

Hope your weather improves.:cloud9:

Cosmoqueen :queen:

Cosmoqueen
8.12.07, 6:25 PM
[quote=TangoTia;3901]Funny you should mention "Damages." A friend and I were just talking about that show and how we forget when it's on so haven't caught it yet. I need to find it then sit Bob's gizmo to record it.

It's on FX (not Fox) and I had trouble finding it at first. It's first run on Tuesday nights 9pm central (10pm for you?) but then it's rerun on other days usually at 10pm central.

I also caught The "Grace" (don't remember the name:mad:)show with Holly Hunter. I love her and this character.

I agree about singing bee:sing:. I'm sure I know a song but NOT!!! I don't know how they do it. They have waaay too much time on their hands.

What are you reading TT? I'm reading :read:the last Harry Potter book right now and also The Amber Room by Steve Barry since I saw the reproduction of it in St. Petersburg. Very exquisite.

Enjoy those motorcycles!

TangoTia
8.16.07, 2:09 PM
Found it CQ! We never ever watch anything on FX, so we TiVo'd it and watched. Both of us were confused trying to get into it because it's obviously a show you about have to catch from the first to know what's up with all the characters, plotline, ect; but we both like Glen Close & Ted Danson so well we're determined to hang in with it till we get the drift. We also like offbeat Grace and her fine feathered friend, scruffy angel, in Saving Grace, but dd's didn't like it at all. Guess it's appeal doesn't reach everyone.

What am I reading...........ok, sit down for this 'cause you're never going to believe it. I'm reading a chick lit book, "Undead and Unwed." About a very funny (like in both 'ha-ha' and 'odd') vampire with very un-vampire characteristics. So funny! There's a whole series based on this character so I'm going to be getting them all and sitting around laughing out loud to myself. Yes, I know.....it's time to talk about me getting a life! However, I do have Suzanne Brockmans latest mystery waiting on me as well as Greg Rucka's "A Fistful of Rain."

Still waiting to hear all about your trip to Russia. Can I assume there are pictures I should be getting soon? Hmmmmmm?

Ta ta! TT