PDA

View Full Version : The Reader

buffalogal
2.1.09, 6:35 PM
I'm not sure I would pick The Reader as a Best Pic nominee, as did the Academy, but there were moments where I could see why they did - and those moments came mostly from Kate Winslet's expressive face, even in the quietest of moments.

The beginning of the movie was weak and "scattered", though necessary, I suppose, to set up the later story elements. I don't want to spoil the movie, but I thought it was best from the point where the verdict in the trial is issued through the end. I thought that was the most affecting part, particularly the section with the tapes that Ralph Fiennes' character sends to Kate's character.

Overall, I liked this movie, though it certainly had its flaws and I wouldn't have picked it in my top 5 of the year. But Kate Winslet has the capability to elevate the script and story and make you feel something you might otherwise not feel.

LorelaiRory
2.15.09, 9:01 PM
I really liked this movie, most of all because it had a moody romantic feel to it, and because it kept me thinking and wondering about the reasons behind the decisions made by the characters. I think there are two instances in this movie where either character has the choice to do the 'right' thing or not, and they both choose 'not'. I question why the Hannah character commits the act late in the film, tho. do you have any ideas, bg?

Kate was beautiful in it, tho. Sooo beautiful.

buffalogal
2.16.09, 7:35 PM
I thought she just couldn't face the outside world after so long on the inside. She really had no one and I think she knew it wouldn't be the same with Michael on the outside.

The more I think about this movie, the more I want to watch it again. I think this one is one that will continue to grow on me.