PDA

View Full Version : Slumdog Millionaire

Agent99
1.2.09, 11:15 AM
I saw this little Indian movie last night and it is wonderful. There is a big Oscar buzz about it. It is movie storytelling at its best. I highly recommend it. Although it is difficult to watch at times (disturbing) it is well worth it. A lovely movie and one of the best credit sequences I've seen.

mtj
1.10.09, 6:41 AM
Okay, I just watched the trailer for this, trying to catch up on what is nominated for The Golden Globes.
It looks like a bad dream I would have after eating too much Indian (India) food.
Or like India's version of "Rocky".
It certainly has gotten a lot of praise from the critics.

Agent99
1.11.09, 3:50 PM
It's a wonderful film. I promise you won't be disappointed. There's a message in there for everyone. For me the message was - thank God I wasn't born in India. LOL!

buffalogal
1.11.09, 6:09 PM
We finally got to see this one yesterday, and I have to say, I was not too impressed. I would say it was "ok" - certainly not one of the top films of the year. We have been watching "Skins" - the British show that Dev Patel is on, and we love him on that, but I found him a bit bland here. I also thought the overall story was weak. It struck me as written by a group of folks sitting in a room saying "what horrible thing can we have happen that will make Jamal know the answers" rather than being a believable, cohesive narrative.

I've certainly seen worse this year, and the movie had its moments, but after all the buildup, I'd say it was disappointing.

Better movies I saw this year (in no particular order): The Wrestler, Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight, Wall-E, Tropic Thunder, Man on Wire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Burn After Reading, Iron Man, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I may have forgotten some in there, but you get the point!!

mtj
1.12.09, 5:34 AM
Yawn.
Apparently this is "Hollywood's darling" as it swept The Golden Globe Awards.
I really hate it when the critics and award givers get a crush on a sleeper movie.

Passionatic
2.18.09, 2:44 PM
We just saw "Slumdog" and I had to talk my husband into going with me and he enjoyed it more than he thought he would. I thought it was amazing...very intense in parts(yikes), but the story is one of those wonderful heartwarming stories that makes you feel so good at the end and so rooting for the young man on the show...my daughter saw it a couple of weeks ago and said the theater was full and everyone applauded at the end. And the Bollywood sequence at the end is very fun. The young man(Dev Patel, I think his name is) is very "real" and the kids who portray him and his brother as kids are very good too.
The movie was filmed in Mumbai and it just shocks a viewer to see how the people live there. My husband had taken pictures when he was in Mumbai and I was shocked when I saw how the people live and this movie just emphasizes that. Mumbai is a city of Great Wealth and Great Poverty.
The Movie is a definate "2 Thumbs Up" from us.

boo1
5.19.09, 10:52 AM
Just watched the movie this past weekend. I liked it, the little kids were very good in the film.

mtj
5.19.09, 10:54 AM
I also thought the overall story was weak. It struck me as written by a group of folks sitting in a room saying "what horrible thing can we have happen that will make Jamal know the answers" rather than being a believable, cohesive narrative.

This is why I have no motivation to see this film.