PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there who wants to talk about BF?

Jennifer26
6.25.07, 6:41 AM
Just wanting to talk to other moms who are bf. I am currently bf my 2.5 yr old and would love to hear from other moms nursing toddlers. Also would like to offer encouragement or advice to any new mommies.

sabine69
6.25.07, 12:33 PM
I nursed my son, who is now 7 1/2 years old, for seven months and pumped for at least a month after he gave up on it (we had to take a week off because we were swapping thrush back & forth from my body to his mouth and at the end of the week he refused anything but a bottle). It was really difficult for me. My milk production was much too low at first (he gave himself a hickey on his arm at about ten days old because he was so hungry he was sucking whatever he could find looking for food). Once I went back to work, I had to pump after he went to bed and also set an alarm to get up at 2am every night to pump in order to stimulate production and have enough milk for the nanny to give him the next day. All that being said I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. My son has a central nervous system disorder (sensory integration disorder) and if I hadn't nursed him, I would always wonder that if I HAD nursed him, would he have this problem. He is also very tall for his age and not a bit overweight (if anything he's a little on the slim side). So when I look at him I think "this is how God intended him to be" rather than wondering if he's not reaching his full height because I used formula or if he's overweight because I used formula.

Probably a really one-sided story but ... if it helps one mom out there who is struggling, I will be glad I shared it. Don't give up if there is any way possible you can keep nursing. You won't regret it!

Jennifer26
6.25.07, 3:32 PM
Thanks for sharing :) I really appreciate the encouragement. My son is also tall and thin and when I look at kids who were formula fed they are a lot heavier than him. Also, I just keep reading about more and more things that show how good breastmilk is even at his age. I am really lucky that my mom is supportive, but at times it seems as if everyone else acts like I should have weaned him by now, it's really hard to find people supportive of breastfeeding past one or two years...

sabine69
6.25.07, 4:31 PM
My sister-in-law BF my nephews until they were three and four. Do what's right for you and your child.

My son sucked a pacifier for a long time, and I got a lot of comments from strangers, friends and families. After my pediatrician assured me it was better than letting his suck his thumb, I toughened up and started saying "Are you his mother? Then I guess it's not your decision." It sounds rude but ... if they are rude enough to verbally second-guess your parenting, they shouldn't expect you to tiptoe around them in return.

Jennifer26
6.25.07, 4:40 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Do you have an only child? So far I just have one and I always thought I wanted at least two and for them to be close in age, but I can't imagine having any more right now. I don't want him to grow up without a playmate, but there is definately no baby on the horizon, lol.

sabine69
6.25.07, 8:19 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Do you have an only child? So far I just have one and I always thought I wanted at least two and for them to be close in age, but I can't imagine having any more right now. I don't want him to grow up without a playmate, but there is definately no baby on the horizon, lol.

I would say if you are going to do it, do it soon because the longer you wait the less likely you are to actually do it again. I intended all along to have another child when mine was off to kindergarten but then medical problems came up and my husband shocked me by saying he didn't want any more children anyway.

There are many advantages to having only one child, certainly the finances are easier (especially once college starts!). More and more people are deciding to stop at one so there will be plenty of other "only children" for your child to play with and be friends with all throughout life, and certainly as soon as preschool starts. That was one of my main reasons for wanting a second child but it's truly not a factor now, he plays with other kids all the time and then the three of us hunker down for "family time." I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jennifer26
6.26.07, 4:33 PM
Unfortunately his dad and I are not getting along at all...we are not married, which I am grateful for now. I think the only way for me to have another baby is by meeting someone new and eventually getting married and possibly having a baby. Since I haven't officially ended things with his dad finding someone new is pretty comical and nonpractical at this point.

I am definately enjoying just being a mom and all the fun things that come along with it. I find that I follow a lot of the "attachment parenting" philosophy without actually knowing that was what it's called. Although I really enjoy the benefits and closeness that comes with BF it is preventing me from moving out and moving on because I don't want to have to worry about him waking up at night and me not being there for him. I do co-sleep with him so until I feel ready to move him into his own bed, which will probably be when he weans, I don't feel right about us moving out. His dad and I haven't talked about it, but I am assuming he would get him on weekends and that would mean overnight. Even though his dad has never gotten up with him at night (except for 1 pathetic night when he was a few weeks old) he thinks that he could just get him to fall asleep, he really is clueless about parenting.

Mommyto1.5
10.21.07, 10:43 AM
hi there my daughter is now 4yrs old and i'm prego with the second. just to give you some background i'm the one who didn't want ANY kids and pretty much made a deal with her hubby who wanted 4. now don't get me wrong i love my daughter she's awsome and i'd never trade her for anything in the world. but there definately isn't anything wrong with waiting for a bit. Now about the breastfeeding thing i tried and tried but in the end failed at breastfeeding my daughter. I cried for like 2 weeks everytime i had to feed her a bottle, i pumped for the first 6 weeks. Sadly though pumping wasn't good enough and at the end of the 6 weeks i was lucky to get even 1oz. combined. This time around i'm going to try and breastfeed again i don't think i'll be quite as hard on myself if i'm not able to because that's just stress that i don't need. but hopefully this baby will take the boob hehe. i don't know if this reply helps anyone but it was nice sharing.

Paxie2
11.4.07, 1:43 AM
I nursed my son till his second b-day and was forced to wean because I needed to go on meds.....turns out we could of continued. Dang doctors. ugh! :mad:

Im still nursing my daughter now who is 2.5 we are slowly self weaning now and my milk supply is really low.....I am sad as she is over it - she'd love to continue on I think but I dont feel as comfortable as I thought I would...... so Im not encouraging nursing....just nurse her when she wants it during the night.

Jennifer26
11.5.07, 5:37 PM
My advise would be if you can get some support either in a lactation consultant or in a moms group that definitely helps. At the hospital where I delivered they have a Mommy and Me Breastfeeding group that meets twice a month. You could weigh your baby also they would measure in grams before and after the feeding so you could find out how much they are actually getting, which is cool. The lactation consultants would come around and answer questions for moms and check to make sure the baby is latching on correctly. It was a fun time to talk with other moms about struggles and helpful hints as well. I am mom to one boy who is 3 now and I am proud to say I am still bf, although I know I am one of the few, lol.

I know

Jennifer26
11.5.07, 5:47 PM
My advise would be if you can get some support either in a lactation consultant or in a moms group that definitely helps. At the hospital where I delivered they have a Mommy and Me Breastfeeding group that meets twice a month. You could weigh your baby also they would measure in grams before and after the feeding so you could find out how many ounces they are actually getting, which is cool. The lactation consultants would come around and answer questions for moms and check to make sure the baby is latching on correctly. It was a fun time to talk with other moms about struggles and helpful hints as well. I am mom to one boy who is 3 now and I am proud to say I am still bf, although I know I am one of the few, lol.

I know if can be very challenging to continue on, when I went back to work after 3 months I was pumping constantly to keep up my milk supply b/c I didn't want to use formula. If you're really commited to it just get as much support as possible and try and remain as positive as possible. I have read lots of different books on the subject. My favorites are by William and Martha Sears, I believe it is called The Breastfeeding Book, and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Leche League. I have never gone to LLL meeting, but have heard they can be great support if you don't have other moms to meet with and talk to. Good luck! I remember that it almost seemed magically at 8 weeks it stopped hurting! All the soreness seemed to go away, I remeber using different creams and such to try and ease the pain. I know now that he wasn't latched on big enough and was pulling which was causing pain and soreness. Sorry it seems I've written a book, lol, but just want you to know you have support here if you want it ;)

Mommyto1.5
11.6.07, 5:39 PM
don't feel bad, if you don't feel comfortable anymore odds are she can feel that and she won't be comfortable so it might be the best decision for you both. Now I could be wrong since I'm not a phychologist but I know kids even babies can feel tension.

Best of Luck

Mommyto1.5
11.6.07, 5:43 PM
thanks for the info i'll give it a try this time. i want to bf bc i know it's better and obviously way cheaper than formula. this may snd kinda nasty but my nipples are getting bigger so this might help me be able to bf i guess we'll find out come feb.

Jennifer26
11.7.07, 4:01 PM
I'm glad to give any advise that I have so that other mom's have the best experience they can. I just remember in the beginning the LC's always saying to be ready to feed on demand and pump as much as possible because that will really help build up your milk supply. They would tell me to pump for 10-15 minutes after nursing to really help bring my milk in. That worked until my doctor put me on the birth control that supposedly is ok for bf, but come to find out from the LC's it CAN lower your milk supply so I quit taking that ASAP, but I had been on it for over a month so I wasn't able to get back the same amount of milk I was producing. The LC's had me drink the Mothers Milk tea that contains different herbs including fennel and taking a Fennugreek pill to help build my supply back up. I'm not sure they helped that much, but it made me feel that I least I was doing something to help besides pumping like crazy!