PDA

View Full Version : The Secret Life of Bees

mtj
9.24.08, 1:51 PM
I just watched the trailer. It looks like it is a beautifully made movie and very true to the book. I can't wait.

Agent99
9.24.08, 2:04 PM
Is that annoying Dakota Fanning in it? I loved the book but I'm not sure I can take her over acting.

mtj
9.24.08, 2:17 PM
She seems to do a wonderful job from what I saw in the trailer. I think maturity may have mellowed her acting. I agree that when she was younger, it was always over the top.

Annie
9.24.08, 2:36 PM
pVCil2oSNYY

Jenigirl
9.25.08, 12:58 PM
I've never read the book (not much of a reader) and I have no speakers to hear the trailer, but I watched it and it looks really, really good. One movie I may actually have to go check out!!!

mtj
10.18.08, 3:49 PM
I saw this movie today.
It is truly one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.
True to the book in most ways, of course, they had to leave a few things out...as is always the way.
Every single actor in this movie was wonderful, and perfectly cast.
Dakota Fanning was just perfect as Lily.
Queen Latifah stole my heart as August Boatwright.
There are no words to describe how much I love Dana Owens.
Perhaps the most touching performance was by Sophie Okonedo as May.
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
A must see for anyone who loves to watch a touching story.

boo1
10.18.08, 4:35 PM
Hoping my daughter will go with me next weekend to see it.

Annie
10.18.08, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the review, mtj! I've skimed a few in the papers this week and they all agree with you. Latifah is a stand out. All mentioned that the story could easily slip into melodrama but it stays true and is lovely. I can't wait.

mtj
10.18.08, 5:35 PM
I have to give props to my husband,
who put his man card on the shelf and went with me to this more or less chick movie.
And loved it, by the way.
To quote my darlin' Canuckian...
"Wow, I really liked that movie. And there wasn't even a car chase in it." :)

KrisMich
10.18.08, 6:31 PM
I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the review, mtj.

Agent99
10.18.08, 10:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that because the review I read today said it was "too sugary sweet" and that Dakota Fanning overacted once again.

KrisMich
10.25.08, 8:49 PM
I saw this movie today and it is excellent. They were all very good in it. If you haven't seen it, you must...but take some kleenex.