PDA

View Full Version : Who chooses the names that it is saying where it says

jgk
6.12.07, 10:17 PM
who the post is from? Not that I particularly mind being called 'dormouse', just curious as to how I got that moniker.

soapyCJ
6.13.07, 12:05 AM
Good question JGK, I was wondering too.

mtj
6.13.07, 6:57 AM
I think that is just a glitch in the board code that needs to be worked out.

Annie
6.13.07, 10:38 AM
It's a "rank" tied to how many posts you've made. The software comes default titles like "junior member" that Ry and I thought were kinda boring. When we switched to something else, we both had Alice in Wonderland on our minds, so that's what we used.

0-19 posts= "Treacle"
20-49="Dormouse"
50-99="March Hare"
100-499="Mad Hatter"
500-999="Cheshire Cat"
1000 and over="Bandersnatch"

Any or all of these may change at my whim. :)

Ry
6.13.07, 11:27 AM
So basically, the more you post, the more often you title changes in "rank". Muuuuhahahahahaha!

mtj
6.13.07, 2:07 PM
Oh no you don't. Don't you change it until I achieve Bandersnatch. :) (We need more smilies. Hint, hint)

Annie
6.13.07, 2:20 PM
Where do I get more smilies? Is it just a Google search thing, or are there VB places I should check?

mtj
6.13.07, 3:33 PM
I have an extensive smilie library at home. I'll see if I can get Dan to zip file them to you.

Annie
6.13.07, 3:40 PM
That would be great! Thanks! I read something about the possibility of spy ware embedded in some of the freebies online, so haven't tried them.

azurakat
6.19.07, 12:13 AM
I recognized the Alice in Wonderland theme with the dormouse/march hare/mad hatter...but what on earth is a treacle and bandersnatch!??! lol. should i be offended?? j/k but yes, it's been too long since I've seen Alice in Wonderland. Refresh my memory. =)

Annie
6.19.07, 10:37 AM
The poem is from Alice, but it's in the books, I don't know if it's been in any of the movies.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he soughtó
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

From a Lewis Carroll glossery, a Bandersnatch is a swift moving creature with snapping jaws. Capable of extending its neck. Yikes.

A treacle? I think it''s a candy or treat of some sort. Something more of the real world than a Bandersnatch ;)

Annie
6.19.07, 10:41 AM
Oh, and "treacle" is pronounced 'tree-cle'. At least I think so. It doesn't rhyme with freckle.

azurakat
6.22.07, 1:02 AM
Thanks for looking that up for me Annie! It really was a big question mark, and I bet I wasn't the only one wondering. hehehe... So if I reach bandersnatch level...it'll mean I've been yapping my gums off! Beware. =)

Annie
6.23.07, 6:39 PM
Yep, we got 'em. Thanks tomtj, I added a batch today. So far, they aren't sorted at al, but if you click "more" on the side, you'll see them all (I think...). And what does this mean? mtj is now :queen: !