PDA

View Full Version : Recipes!

Annie
4.15.07, 2:38 PM
This is really just a category sort test. Nothing to see here...

mtj
6.5.07, 10:46 AM
Here is a link to the grilling recipes on the Reynolds Aluminum Foil site. It's got some good ones for meat, veggies and meat/veggie combos. I have it bookmarked for the summer.
http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/en/recipes/recipe_search.asp?Category=17&Step=Category&CategoryText=On+The+Grill

Annie
6.13.07, 3:39 PM
Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of the oven. Preheat to 450.

1.25 lbs fresh greenbeans, trimmed and rinsed
Small head of garlic
1/4 cup plus 2 T olive oil (we found this waaaay too much. YMMV - I think you can halve it)
1.5 T finely grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly cracked black pepper (or what ever black pepper you have)
1/3 cup (1.5 oz) pine nuts (good, but not necessary)
1/4 c coarsely grated Parmagian-Reggiano (see above, I kind of prefer it without the cheese)
1 T coarsely chopped fersh flat leaf parsley (I skipped this)Put beans in a large mixing bowl. Peel garlic, quarter each clove lengthwise (if small, halve), and add to greenbeans. Toss the beans and garlic with 1/4 c olive oil, 1T of lemon zest, salt and pepper.

Spread the beans on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the top third of the oven for 10 mins. Stir beans and garlic with spatula for more even cooking and coloring. Continue roasting until the beans and garlic pieces are lightly browned and tender throughout (10-15 mins longer)

Meanwhile, spread the pine nuts out on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the bottom third of the oven, until just golden, about 5 minutes. (I just browned them in a pan)
Transfer the beans to a small serving platter or shallow bowl and dress with the lemon juice and remaining 2 T olive oil. Toss gently to coat and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the toasted pine nuts, the remaining 1/2T lemon zest, the parmagiano, and the parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Note: I only added the lemon juice at the end with the pinenuts. For my taste it didn't require any more seasoning and certainly no more oil. I think I like it better at room temperature which is a plus if you want to take it on picnics or to potluck style parties.

Serves 4 to 6 (or if I'm in a mood, 1 :o )

mtj
6.20.07, 11:49 AM
This is fairly easy and really good. If you like mushrooms, add sliced, fresh mushrooms to the rice while boiling.

Sausage and Rice
1 pound Bob Evans Sage Sausage
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 package Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild Rice, the long cooking variety

Saute the sausage and onion until the sausage is done. Drain and set aside. Prepare the rice according to the package directions. About five minutes before the rice is done, add the sausage and onion mix (and your mushrooms if desired), stir and let continue cooking until rice is done. Let this sit about five minutes before serving, to let the rice set. A great side dish to bring to a pig roast, barbecue or potluck.

mtj
7.1.07, 2:52 PM
Someone please promise to make these and report in. I am on sabbatical from sweets and starch in order to be buff for our October vow renewal ceremony.

Rice Krispy S'mores Treats

1. 6 cups Rice Krispies
2. 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
3. 10 graham crackers
4. 1 (16 ounce) package JET-PUFFED mini -marshmallows
5. 5 tablespoons butter

1. Place marshmallows, minus 1 cup, and butter in microwave safe bowl and microwave on High for 3 minutes.
2. Mix Rice Krispies and graham crackers into the marshmallows until well coated.
3. Add the whole marshmallows and chocolate chips into bowl and mix.
4. Press mixture into a casserole dish and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
5. Cut into bars and eat!

mtj
8.9.07, 5:59 AM
Baked Beans

4 slices bacon, diced
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 can (28 oz.) baked beans with pork
1/4 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large frying pan cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp. Drain off fat.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into a casserole dish.

Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

mtj
8.26.07, 9:51 AM
Apple Caramel Tart

1. 35 KRAFT Caramels, unwrapped
2. 3 tablespoons milk
3. 1 HONEY MAID Graham Pie Crust
4. 1/4 cup PLANTERS Pecans, chopped
5. 1 cup milk
6. 1 (3.4 ounce) package JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
7. 1 1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
8. 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling

2. Cooking Directions

1. Place caramels and 3 Tbsp. milk in medium microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 min. or until caramels are melted; stir until smooth. Reserve 1/3 cup caramel mixture in small microwaveable bowl; cover and refrigerate.
2. Pour remaining caramel mixture into pie crust; top with pecans. Pour 1 cup milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spoon into crust. Freeze 4 hours or overnight.
3. Spoon pie filling over pudding mixture. Microwave reserved 1/3 cup caramel mixture on HIGH 30 sec. or until caramel is smooth. Drizzle over pie filling. Let stand at room temperature 15 min. before serving. Serve immediately. Store leftover dessert in freezer.

Yield: 10 servings

mtj
9.2.07, 7:37 AM
Boursin Cheese Spread

16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 butter or margarine
2 TB Parmesan
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. tarragon
1/4 tsp. sage
1 clove garlic, mashed

Mix all ingredients together.

Shape in plastic wrap into flattened round ball.

Sprinkle with coarse cracked pepper on all sides.

Chill & serve with crackers.

mtj
11.4.07, 2:02 PM
Mint Hot Cocoa Mix
1 cup powdered nondairy coffee creamer
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
8 Starlight mints, crushed in a grinder (if you don't have a grinder, substitute one small package of mint chocolate chips)
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows (optional)
Combine all ingredients; store in an airtight container.
Three tablespoons of mix to one cup hot water.

mtj
11.20.07, 11:15 AM
A different twist on meatloaf...
Home Style Meatloaf

1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, divided
1 (6 ounce) package STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 cup chili sauce

Cooking Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix meat, 1/2 cup of the soup, stuffing mix, egg, onion and thyme. Press evenly into 8x4-inch loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake 55 min.
Heat remaining soup with chili sauce in small saucepan. Spoon over meatloaf just before serving.

mtj
11.22.07, 9:58 PM
Ooo...
Maybe for next Thanksgiving...

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cinnamon into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

mtj
10.11.08, 2:19 PM
Canadian Meat Pies

You can make these as an entree or an appetizer.
For an entree, cut the pie crust in four pieces and make two meat pies per crust.
For appetizers, use a drinking glass to cut small circles of pie crust and put together for bite size meat pies.
Don't forget to flute the edges with a fork, for a decorative look.
Either way, they are great.

Canadian Meat Pies

1 pound lean ground beef
1 tube Bob Evans original sausage

Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup minced onion
2 heaping teaspoons of crushed garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon savory
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup water
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 package Pillsbury pie crust
1 to 2 egg whites for basting the crust

On low heat, cook the sausage, ground beef, seasonings and water for about two hours. Stirring frequently and adding more water if needed. When the meat mixture is cooked, add the bread crumbs to absorb any fat. Stir several times until it is a somewhat dry mixture.
Set the meat mixture aside.
Pre‑heat oven to 400 degrees.
Unroll the pie crust (2 rounds)
Cut those two rounds in fourths.
Spoon meat mixture onto each half.
Fold pastry half over and seal edges with a fork, to give it fluted edges.
Freeze any leftover meat mixture in a zip‑loc bag for future use.
Baste a bit of egg white on each meat pie to give it a glaze.
Bake for about twenty minutes, or until pastry crust is golden brown.
Serve with salad and crusty French bread.

Ry
10.15.08, 12:15 PM
Hey gals. I've recently been thrown into chef of the apartment and been looking for cheap and simple recipes. Found this one last night and it was a breeze!

1 1/2 lb. chicken breast
1/2 c. flour
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying
3 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
3 c. chicken broth
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. cold water
Cooked rice

Rinse chicken and cut up into bite-size pieces. Put flour, salt and pepper in plastic bag. Add chicken in batches to bag of flour and shake to coat. Brown chicken in batches until all chicken is golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm. Pour off oil.

Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; chop garlic and brown in oil. Add chicken broth, lemon juice, to pan. Mix cornstarch and water and add to pan. Add chicken to sauce. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Serve over rice.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What I did differently:
I had a lot less chicken than the recipe calls for so I pared down a little bit. Only used 2 cups of broth. However, I did up the garlic because we're garlic freaks around here.

Also, I used flour instead of cornstarch and instead of mixing it with water, I just threw a couple of handfuls directly into the sauce and whisked all the lumps away. Came out with a thick, almost gravy like, sauce. Was a hit with my fellas!

For a side I chose green beans. Steamed them and then after I strained the water, I took a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce and mixed it in with the beans. Delish!