PDA

View Full Version : If you are homeschooling in CA you'r breaking the law!

justkathy
3.17.08, 10:58 AM
http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=14760&t=Homeschooling+under+assault+in+California

I guess the teacher union lobby had the legislature's ear.

reines
3.17.08, 5:31 PM
March 11,2008
Phone: 916-319-0818Schools Chief Jack O'Connell Issues Statement
Regarding Home Schooling in California
SACRAMENTO State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell announced today that the California Department of Education has completed a legal review of the February 28 California Court of Appeal ruling regarding home schooling. O'Connell issued the following statement:

"I have reviewed this case, and I want to assure parents that chose to home school that California Department of Education policy will not change in any way as a result of this ruling. Parents still have the right to home school in our state.

"Every child in our state has a legal right to get an education, and I want every child to get an education that will prepare them for success in college and the world of work in the challenging global economy.

"As the head of California's public school system, I hope that every parent would want to send their children to public school. However, traditional public schools may not be the best fit for every student. Within the public school system there are a range of options available. Students can take independent study classes, attend a charter school, or participate in non-classroom-based programs. But some parents choose to send their children to private schools or to home school, and I respect that right.

"I admire the dedication of parents who commit to oversee their children's education through home schooling. But, no matter what educational program a student participates in, it is critical that the program prepares them for future success in the global economy. I urge any parent who is considering or involved in home schooling their children to take advantage of resources and support available through their county or district offices of education."

CALIF DEPT OF EDUCATION

reines: Personally........I don't think our nation is served well by having kids home-schooled that our earth is only 6,000 years old. But that's just me! :D

justkathy
3.18.08, 3:37 AM
I am glad the California Education department reconsidered their policy. Most likely the state legislature was innundated with thousands of phone call from irate home schooling parents.

As far as your comment implying that homeschoolers are a bunch of religous nuts that's an unfair stereotype. While there are many families who choose to teach their children at home for religous reasons there are lots of other reasons for homescholing. Our family was involved in homeschooling from the early '80's until three years ago when we finaly moved to a suburban comunity with an excellent school system. None of the families in the informal organization we were in were particularly religous. Some of them didn't want to send their kids to the terrible public school in their local district; some of them felt they could help their special needs child better on an at-home one to one basis. Some of the families I knew what you could call recycled hippies. Their whole natural way of living extended into their philosophy of education.

These days homeschooling has become very mainstream. Many states have tax supported charter schools that have on-line schools with complete ciriculums and tecachers available by phone for home schoolers. Homeschooling has become such an accepted part of the mainstream education that there is no longer a typical homeschooler. There are homeschooled students of every type and catagory these days.

reines
3.18.08, 8:54 AM
Sure........I was being way too general in portraying them all as religious folk....but you really can't deny that the majority of home schoolers are fervent Christians......and that their religion is the priomary reason they home school.....can you?
In these days of foreign countries surpassing us in math and science- I worry about our kids falling even further behind the global world.......and not learning what they need to know to compete.
At the very minimum- there should be tough standards that these home schoolers must meet........including the parents or whomever is teaching, IMO.
A woman who lives on my street home schooled her kids (they've since moved). She had three very polite and cheerful sons. But they were very involved in their church..and she told me once that the main reason she home schooled was because she didn't want her sons learning evolution! I think that's just wrong.........and that it doesn't serve our society well to have kids sheltered and "protected" from what is, in reality, accepted theory.

Catstrack
3.19.08, 1:46 AM
I do think that states should better regulate homeschooling and reguire that students who are homeschooled have a teacher (whether it be a family member or who ever)....be accredited in some way.

Lots of homeschoolers do receive a good, rounded education and many parents do take advantages of community based enhancement programs that offer special arts, sports, etc. programs for the home schooled, so that the children are not reclusive....

but there also are plenty of home schooled kids who do not receive proper education, because their family member/teacher lacks the ability to teach all facets of academia.

Teaching is a tough job and to home school reguires a lot of dedication by the parent/teacher and the student. For some it works very well, but not everyone works well with self-imposed structure or as the teacher to have the skills to teach levels they aren't at themselves.

Public and private school teachers spend a good deal of time, money on education and training to be qualified to teach children, and IMHO...the home schooled kids deserve the very same in some regard or another where the teacher at home is reguired to meet some sort of state standards.

justkathy
3.19.08, 2:25 PM
I am not so sure that the majority of homeschoolers are religous families. Seven or eight years ago that would have been the case but since homeschooling has become more accepted and the number of homeschoolers increased the reasons people are teaching at home is changing. I think the deplorable state of so many public school systems is driving many people to homeschool, people who a few years earlier would never have considered such a thing.

As far as your worry, Reines, that creationism rather than evolution is being taught in some homes I am not sure that that is really a problem. I don't believe in what an aquaintance of mine calls 'The Fred Flintsone theory of creation'. I find creationism simplistic and naive but it is not necessarily harmful. I don't care what the religous views are of the loan officer at my bank, or the dentist who fills my teeth or the arcihtect who designs our bridges. I just want these individuals to do their jobs well and be contributing members of society. The only job I would be worried about creationist having would be a science teacher in a public school. I doubt that many religous homeschoolers will grow up to be public school teachers.

PS if there are any spelling or grammatical errors I appologize. I am a product of a public school education, LOL. I am also a trrible typist and probably have not discovered all my typos.

reines
3.19.08, 5:16 PM
I am not so sure that the majority of homeschoolers are religous families. Seven or eight years ago that would have been the case but since homeschooling has become more accepted and the number of homeschoolers increased the reasons people are teaching at home is changing. I think the deplorable state of so many public school systems is driving many people to homeschool, people who a few years earlier would never have considered such a thing.

As far as your worry, Reines, that creationism rather than evolution is being taught in some homes I am not sure that that is really a problem. I don't believe in what an aquaintance of mine calls 'The Fred Flintsone theory of creation'. I find creationism simplistic and naive but it is not necessarily harmful. I don't care what the religous views are of the loan officer at my bank, or the dentist who fills my teeth or the arcihtect who designs our bridges. I just want these individuals to do their jobs well and be contributing members of society. The only job I would be worried about creationist having would be a science teacher in a public school. I doubt that many religous homeschoolers will grow up to be public school teachers.

PS if there are any spelling or grammatical errors I appologize. I am a product of a public school education, LOL. I am also a trrible typist and probably have not discovered all my typos.
Spelling errors? Hey, you're talking to the queen of typing errors! But I don't blame my public education for that. LOL
I hope you're right about the majority of home-schoolers not being the religiously insane types. I really do. Because it's not just that they might fill the kid's heads with inaccurate information.........it's that we, as a nation, seem to be falling behind the rest of the world in math, science and technology.
And it's not just important if the child is going to mgrow up to be a teacher......it's important to have exposure to all the knowledge and what's generally accepted by the scientific world no matter what career path they take. Blinders aren't good for anyone......especially now when our world is even more complex and everything's global. Even if those creationists aren't teaching science.....they still must have a good grasp of reality to be good citizens, no? LOL

justkathy
3.20.08, 2:50 PM
Last night on Nightline there was a piece about anti-evolution groups doing their own interpretive tours in natural history museums. They used the fossils and dinosour bones to prove their theory about the Earth only being 6,000 years old and all kinds of othr biblical craziness. I didn't actually see it because I was at work but I did manage to listen to some of it on my TV radio. They came across as real nut jobs.

I agree with you Reines that creationism, or I guess I should use the term they prefer these days, Intelligent Design, is a ridiculous crock of crap. I just differ with you in that I don't feel that people believing such stuff are anything to worry about. They are passing amusing oddity in our culture.

reines
3.21.08, 7:50 PM
Last night on Nightline there was a piece about anti-evolution groups doing their own interpretive tours in natural history museums. They used the fossils and dinosour bones to prove their theory about the Earth only being 6,000 years old and all kinds of othr biblical craziness. I didn't actually see it because I was at work but I did manage to listen to some of it on my TV radio. They came across as real nut jobs.

I agree with you Reines that creationism, or I guess I should use the term they prefer these days, Intelligent Design, is a ridiculous crock of crap. I just differ with you in that I don't feel that people believing such stuff are anything to worry about. They are passing amusing oddity in our culture.
I would tend to think that also.......if it weren't for the way they are trying to infiltrate school boards to change curriculum! Remember what happened in Pennsylvania? It was insane......of course, they DID all get thrown out in the next election! LOL

justkathy
4.2.08, 4:52 PM
Here is an interesting article about homeschoolong.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/JohnStossel/2008/04/02/threat_to_homeschooling?page=full&comments=true

John Stossel is my favorite network news person. I think he's the only libertarian oriented one in the bunch,

Catstrack
4.8.08, 1:36 AM
Just a thought here and wondering if the world nations where their students seem to excel over the US in academics... also have home-schooling options mixed in with the statistics?

Seems like certain country's always are at the high end of science, mathmatics, etc., scores that well exceed US stats.