PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - Goin' Grocery Shopping

mtj
8.4.17, 5:56 AM
1. Will you shop at several grocery stores if there are good sales,
or do you mainly stick to just one?

2. What is one of the good things about the grocery store you shop in?

3. What food item do you splurge on once or twice a year?

4. What grocery store items do you buy in bulk, or bigger sizes?

5. Coupons, do they work for your grocery needs or not?

Weekend plans?

Mike
8.4.17, 10:37 AM
Thanks MTJ!

Mainly stick to our local Hannaford's, but if there are great deals (and I mean great), then I'll drive a bit to Acme, or Tops. (Love the produce at Tops.) Every couple of weeks, I head to the nearest Trader Joe's, but that's 15 miles on country roads, so it's always a stock-the-freezer trip.

For non-food stuff, or non-perishables, it's become a bit of a habit to scan the barcodes with the Amazon app (http://amzn.to/2hubCNL). If the price is better at Amazon Prime (http://amzn.to/2v5HATC) -- not very often -- then I'll start ordering it there. Use the Prime (http://amzn.to/2v5HATC), save the gas.

The people are local folks, some of whom are friends. All of them are nice. So that's thing #1, by far.
Thing #2 is, it's close and the prices are great at Hannaford. They are an "everyday low" type place.

The Thanksgiving turkey.

Meat for the freezer, when it's on sale. And small red grapes.
This may seem weird, but because of mouth issues caused by the lupus, frozen red grapes are a helpful treat for Annie. Small ones are best, so I'm constantly checking the grapes and buy tons to freeze when good ones show up.
Otherwise, it's just the usual paper goods and such. Huge packages of paper towels to hide in the back room.

Not averse to using coupons -- happy to, in fact. But not a fanatic about it. We keep an eye out for good ones and watch the expiration date.

Weekend plans?
Netflix and stay cool.

KrisMich
8.4.17, 12:02 PM
I have one store that I frequent the most. But, I sometimes go to another store simply because it's more convenient and prices are a bit better. But, I'm not one to run to several because of sales. We have a Super Walmart with a full grocery. Prices are great, but I rarely go there as it's always so crowded.

It's family-owned and has been in business since I was a kid. They have the best meat counter in town and the prices are very reasonable.

Ribs. As I mentioned, my grocery store has the best meat. Ribs tend to be expensive, but when they have a good sale, I will buy some. I don't do it very often though.

Cereal and rice.

They do, but I hardly ever use them anymore.

Weekend plans?
I'm going to the beach tomorrow. It's been so hot and I'm looking forward to a day in much cooler weather.