PDA

View Full Version : Majorities of Americans in EVERY State Support Participation in the Paris Agreement

Mike
6.2.17, 6:17 PM
http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Paris-YCOM-1024x795.png
The Yale Program for Climate Change Communication (http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/paris_agreement_by_state/) survey of US voters, including those who voted for Trump. The majority in every single state want to stay in the Paris Agreement.
Even the Trumplodidian Empire states are in favor of staying in the Paris Accord.
Proving once again that Trump doesn't give a shit about Americans, or about what Americans actually want.
Trump is a jerk.

jolau
6.2.17, 7:22 PM
He doesn't care about the majority, particularly the 3 million more that voted for Hillary. He cares about the people everyone else "forgot".

Like the people who didn't study hard enough and had to become coal miners.

Mike
6.3.17, 12:04 AM
Whoa, Jolau;
I'm not sure that your statement is coming across the way that you want. Do you mean to say that all coal miners decided to be coal miners? Like Ben Carson? That's the way that it reads.

(Maybe it's that Internet-Age problem: Irony does not work on the internet. Is that it?)

Catstrack
6.3.17, 2:28 AM
Not speaking for anyone, but me.....there are some communities where coal was and has been the only large, well paying employer in the area, so in the past (maybe present) working in the mines becomes a generational thing if one wants to stay and live in the place they grew up in. If so, then other opportunities are limited, but coal mining has been in decline for some time. Trump's promise to bring back coal is a folly and another one of his con jobs to his coal area voters. Natural gas production is quickly putting coal out of business along with green technology...wind and solar.

It is interesting on the map above ...I didn't expect to see every single state at least at 50% or more in support of the Paris Accord. Even Oklahoma....imagine that! lol

jolau
6.4.17, 5:36 AM
Let's just say I don't think a lot of moms have said, "Don't worry about your grades, your father's mine will always be there."

jolau
6.4.17, 2:07 PM
there are some communities where coal was and has been the only large, well paying employer in the area, so in the past (maybe present) working in the mines becomes a generational thing if one wants to stay and live in the place they grew up in. If so, then other opportunities are limited, but coal mining has been in decline for some time.

This is probably one of those things that I don't understand about white rural culture vs the experience minorities and immigrants get. Immigrants are usually driven towards achievement, gain as much education as possible, enter a profession, and make something of themselves. The occupation of the parents or grandparents are not passed down to the children unless they personally own the business.
Meanwhile, white rural America allows itself to stagnate for decades.

Mike
6.4.17, 3:00 PM
Holy cow, Jolau. You are Ben Carson!

And if you're not Ben Carson, then you (a) need to read a book about coal mining in America, and (b) grow a smidgen of empathy.

jolau
6.5.17, 7:34 AM
I have no sympathy for people who deliberately retard themselves to prop up industries in a state of decline. Especially when it's from people who claim to believe in a "free market" economy, and value "personal responsibility" and hard work. If these people really held to their value system, they would have gotten out a long time ago. Instead they want us to feel sorry for them and preserve their jobs.
We have two choices, wean them away gradually, or pull the rug from under them when the coal industry finally collapses. What do you think is the better option?

What these people want to do would be the equivalent of me putting a gun to your head and forcing you to fly United.
The difference between my industry and theirs is that you have a choice of airlines and other methods of travel. You have very little choice when it comes to where your power comes from, and many red states are trying to find ways to make it more and more difficult to wean one-self away from fossil fuels. (Taxing solar use, for example)
These people are no better than the Communists.

I hate to sound uncaring or harsh, but someone has to make them wake up and smell the covfefe.