PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, and updates

boosdaughter
2.15.17, 8:27 PM
I wanted to thank Terry, Kristi and Molly for the generous gift they gave to my dad. He was showing the card off for days afterward to anyone who came into the house. He told me, "They really knew mom. It's obvious they were good friends." I couldn't find all of you on Facebook, so I wanted to make sure that you would at least find our gratitude here. He's happy because he has needed a new microwave and toaster, and your gift has made that possible. I'm glad that my mom had such a close-knit group of friends here. If the three of you -- or any of the members here, really -- would like a memorial card from my mom's services, please let me know and I'll send it out to you. You can PM me here or message me on Facebook. I'm a pie on Facebook named Jenny, so I think you'll be able to track me down.

My dad is doing OK for the most part. He is in the hospital right now for cellulitis but should be home in a few days. He is getting a wheelchair Monday and a power lift chair within the next 2 weeks. He's also getting some support bars for the shower and bathroom. We downgraded his cable, so he'll be saving more money. He has an emergency alert system with a pendant which works very well (my son 'tested' it out for us the first time...oops!). He has also decided to get rid of the car, saving himself the insurance, since he no longer travels anywhere alone. I'm in the process of waterproofing his basement and once I get confirmation from a lab that the current tile in his house is asbestos-free, I'll be updating the tiles in his kitchen, dining room and bathroom.

Later this spring, I'm hoping to turn the front porch into a little oasis for him, complete with outdoor curtains, so he can be outside and read in semi-privacy.

The hospital he's in right now offers monthly bereavement support, so I think he is finally considering going. I've told him it could be really good for him to talk to people who know what he's going through, and that he may even make a few friends in the process. We're trying to get more structure in his days, and we are encouraging him to be more independent. He is getting there slowly.

Thank you again for your kindness. This is a nice place.

Agent99
2.16.17, 9:59 AM
Thanks for posting Jenny! When I read that your dad got a microwave and toaster I actually cried. I miss your mom's posts so much. I think about her all the time. Please stay connected to us as we feel her presence through you. Give our best to your dad and we will keep him in our prayers. And you're right, this is a nice place and we welcome you with open arms.

mtj
2.16.17, 10:06 AM
Oh, it is nice to know that your Dad got something that he needed for the house.
I'm sure your Mom is smiling on in approval.
She is definitely missed here.
Thanks for the updates. I'm glad your Dad has you to lean on while he goes through all this.

KrisMich
2.16.17, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the updates on your dad, Jenny. I will keep him in my prayers. I echo the others in saying that it is so good to hear from you. We all miss your mom so much and your family has become ours over the years. Thanks so much for taking such good care of your dad. And, I'm happy that he was able to get his new microwave and toaster. Sending hugs to all of you.