PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - Food Glorious Food

mtj
2.10.17, 9:28 AM
1. Is there anything you eat that people consider weird?
(Odd toppings on your burger, strange combinations of food)

2. Name a food that grosses you out.

3. What is something you didn't eat as a child that you
now like as an adult?

4. What is your latest craving?

5. Who is the best cook in your family and what do they
make that you love?

Weekend plans?

Agent99
2.10.17, 11:48 AM
1. Is there anything you eat that people consider weird? (Odd toppings on your burger, strange combinations of food)
My entire family mixes their corn into their mashed potatoes. It's a starch-fest. Agent 86 can't stand it. The first time he saw my cousin's doing it too he freaked out.

Anything slimy. Oysters. Octopus. Squid. Fish served with the head on. Ewwww.

3. What is something you didn't eat as a child that you now like as an adult?
Fish. I wouldn't touch it until about five years ago. Now my fish meals have expanded. My mom made fish every Friday (grew up Catholic) but she made me a hotdog. She was very bothered by that but my dad once said, "I don't think God would condemn a child to hell for eating a hot dog on a Friday!" My dad was a common sense Catholic.

We are in Miami Beach for the winter and I miss my good old Detroit Buddy's thick crust pizza. : (

5. Who is the best cook in your family and what do they make that you love?
My cousin Pete is from Sicily and he's a retired chef. EVERYTHING he makes is wonderful but he now lives in Las Vegas. His daughter has her dad's talent and she makes wonderful cannoli.

Weekend plans?
Warm weather so I think it will be a beach weekend and a movie. I miss my friends. : (

KrisMich
2.10.17, 12:16 PM
(Odd toppings on your burger, strange combinations of food)
I dip my french fries in mustard. Many of my friends freak out, until they try it and now they dip too.

Tuna. You couldn't pay me to eat a tuna sandwich, tuna casserole or anything with tuna in it. I also won't eat salmon.

3. What is something you didn't eat as a child that you
now like as an adult?
Many things. But, the biggest shocker is that I now eat egg salad sandwiches. I wasn't fond of eggs period when I was a child. They had to be scrambled and not the least bit runny before I'd even think of eating them.

A chicken teriyaki bowl, with a side of gyoza (fried wontons) from my favorite Japanese restaurant.

5. Who is the best cook in your family and what do they
make that you love?
Well, it was my cousin, Larry who passed away in December. He made so many great dishes and always cooked for all of our family gatherings. He made the best tri-tip beef. It was always so tender. Even his bbq hamburgers on the 4th of July tasted better than others. He just had a talent. I miss him!

Weekend plans?
I have been sick with the flu going on my second week now. I'm still going to lay low for the most part. I have a concert next week that I don't want to miss. I'm so hoping I can play by Tuesday.

KrisMich
2.10.17, 12:20 PM
Agent, how are your cats liking (or disliking) Miami?

mtj
2.10.17, 12:30 PM
Agent, I mix corn and/or peas into mashed potatoes. Corn is better. (I am not fond of peas.)
And honey, anyone who is fortunate enough to get to spend the winter at the beach gets no sympathy from me for missing pizza or friends.
:p

Kris, I know people who dip their fries in mustard. I know people who dip their fries in mayo. I know people who dip their fries in chocolate milk shakes.

Agent99
2.10.17, 1:11 PM
I am a chocolate shake french fry dipper too!! mtj, I love that you mix your corn and peas into the potatoes. That is so funny! I know I shouldn't complain, but it is difficult being away from my routine and my friends. I'm also having such a difficult time with the language barrier here. No one - and I am not exaggerating - no one speaks English. As for the cats - they love it here. They have plenty of sun to bask in and since our outdoor roof is enclosed, they get to roam free outside. They will be bummed to go back to Michigan. When we go back home, we are flying them because Agent 86 said he can't do another trip with them in the car. LOL!

Jenigirl
2.10.17, 2:20 PM
Can't think of anything but I am sure there are.

Lobster - seafood in general except for shrimp.

3. What is something you didn't eat as a child that you now like as an adult? Tomatoes, Onions (grilled only) and Mushrooms

4. What is your latest craving? Mint shakes, just went to BK for lunch and saw it on the menu and had to try it. It was a mint oreo shake. I'd prefer a plain mint shake. No oreo.

5. Who is the best cook in your family and what do they make that you love? Me these days. My dad does most of the cooking, but that's because he is home. My favorite family member dish would be my mom's lasagna, which I make now with my dad.

Weekend plans? Cleaning house. Coffee with friends tomorrow afternoon. Baking some Valentine's Day goodies.

**I'm a french fry/shake dipping person, and I used to mix my corn or peas in my mashed potatoes when I was a kid. Every once in a while I still will. But for the most part, I keep them separate.

KrisMich
2.10.17, 3:17 PM
I mix my corn with rice. And for a real starch overload, I used to mix stuffing with rice and pour gravy over it. My Grandfather was Filipino and wanted rice with every meal (for the most part) and when my Grandma would make chicken with mashed potatoes and stuffing, I always ate the rice (with stuffing) instead. I can't do that anymore, my sugar goes way over the top, but I crave it sometimes.

mtj
2.11.17, 8:08 AM
But for the most part, I keep them separate.

Oh that brings to mind another thing.
Does anyone know/eat with someone who can't stand to have different foods touching on their plates?

Nutribullets are great for making your own shakes.
I mostly make smoothies with mine, but occasionally I make the boy a shake for dessert.

Agent99
2.11.17, 9:27 AM
I have seen people who have that food touching phobia thing. I don't get it. I prefer to just mix mine all up and eat it like slop. LOL!! Here's another weird thing. My cousin puts spaghetti sauce on her SALAD!!! I can't even sit next to her.

KrisMich
2.11.17, 12:46 PM
My mom had a friend that would not eat anything that touched another food on his plate. He was so embarrassing to go out and eat with.

Agent99
2.11.17, 4:36 PM
I'm still thinking about your stuffing and rice carboholic Thanksgivings. LOL!

mtj
2.12.17, 6:09 AM
I have mixed a little stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy together on Thanksgiving.
I also put stuffing on my turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving.
Both are great carbohydrate loads. :pinkyz:

Agent99
2.12.17, 8:15 AM
I agree with all of it!

boosdaughter
2.15.17, 8:39 PM
There's still the stereotype that tofu is gross. You have to bake or fry it, imo -- steaming is criminal. Most restaurants in Michigan have perfected frying it. I have to say, I honeymooned in Davie, FL and every restaurant fried it the same...it was mush on the inside. It has to have the proper crisp, and it's good! But most people, particularly older folks who aren't as familiar with it, think it's weird.

Caviar.

3. What is something you didn't eat as a child that you now like as an adult? I hated green beans as a kid, but I've come around.

4. What is your latest craving? Milkshakes or coffee slurpees (those iced capps at Tim Horton's...).

5. Who is the best cook in your family and what do they make that you love? My brother's a versatile cook. I don't have a natural feel for cooking and generally regurgitate what I find on food blogs. My brother has worked in various aspects of food preparation most of his working life and has a genuine passion for cooking. He made black bean burgers for my family this past summer, and it was love! Texture and taste was perfect. I'm doubly impressed because he's accustomed to cooking meat, so to pull off things like that and to do it well is great.

And my mom was *the best* cook for comfort food. At Thanksgiving, she made what my brother and I still call her "broccoli cheese rice dish." Those were the three main ingredients, so that's what it was called. We always looked forward to it for the holidays.

Weekend plans? I'm late to the party. I don't remember what I did last weekend. This weekend, going to spend some time with my cousin Austin and make hot sauce together. Kid loves fiery food.

Agent99
2.16.17, 9:54 AM
I tried caviar once in 1982. I still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

boosdaughter
2.17.17, 1:12 PM
I have to admit: I've never tried it. Just seen it. Blurgh, no thanks.