PDA

View Full Version : Spirtuality

mtj
2.2.17, 9:05 AM
There are several web sites I visit that deal with spiritual subjects.
They are often a refuge for me when the "reality" of the internet gets to be too much.
Without fail, every writer on each of these web sites has seen fit to bring politics into their otherwise "non-political" forums.

While I understand that a web site is a private domain and the authors can write about anything they wish to, I find this disappointing.
There ought to be some places you can visit on the internet that are not infected with the seemingly endless backlash of recent political events.

Agent99
2.2.17, 9:58 AM
I too am looking for a political-free environment! I can't believe how an innocent story "Cat Stuck in Tree" generates political comments. I haven't posted anything on FB in two weeks (I have wished Happy Birthday and replied to comments intended for me) and that's it. It's disturbing and disheartening and does nothing except divide. I long for the days when political and religious discussions were taboo. I don't see an end anytime soon.

Mike
2.2.17, 12:35 PM
Politics, by definition, effects every person, and so every person gets involved in some way or other. Even this thread, on "The Pier", while it is nominally "about" politics, is just another aspect of politics. I actually wondered if it should be moved to "Politics" -- as I did with one of my own posts a short while back -- just to keep the Pier clear of it.

Show of hands.... should this thread be moved to "Politics"?

Agent99
2.2.17, 2:51 PM
I think it's fine here since we're just talking about not wanting to talk about politics. Ha ha. If it were on the politics board it would be picked apart. Sometimes, we just like to vent here on The Pier.

KrisMich
2.2.17, 3:24 PM
It's fine here.

mtj
2.2.17, 3:28 PM
If it were on the politics board it would be picked apart.

Indeed.
And then someone would still be complaining about it two years later.

Mike
2.4.17, 12:51 AM
Here's an article that says that "Facebook is dead, at 12". Basically what you're talking about -- that politics and intolerance has made it impossible.

I don't know if that's true, but it does go to what you've been saying.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/01/facebook-dead-12-victim-2016/

mtj
2.4.17, 7:56 AM
I have heard a lot of people complaining about Facebook for the reasons stated in that article.

Mike
2.4.17, 12:32 PM
I don't think that the premise of the article is correct. FB has a lot of controls for users to filter what they see, and the flow of conversation remains vital and vibrant.

If people don't like what I'm posting, sharing, saying, then they can block my stuff without unfriending me. My goodness -- I've done that to a lot of my cousins. It turns out that the connection of blood is strong, but it doesn't require reading malevolent alternative facts.

mtj
2.4.17, 5:58 PM
Yes, but there are countless people who don't know how to block like that.

And really, has it become that verboten to "unfriend" someone if you don't care for what they post in your Facebook area?

One of the many reasons I am not a "Facebook person".

Agent99
2.4.17, 7:34 PM
I have unfollowed a few people who just don't know when to stop. I unfriended another. The problem is, when you log onto FB you get everything in your newsfeed. I just had an argument with a friend who has been non-stop posting political stuff. I told him to take it somewhere else. Find another place to post where other politically minded people will argue with him. No one is going to change their mind because of what you post. The only people who will agree with you are the people in your own party. It's that simple. I just don't know what these political posts are trying to accomplish. And don't tell me,"It's to inform people." BS. I don't need some guy I used to know in 7th grade "informing" me.

Mike
2.4.17, 8:29 PM
7th grade!

Wow -- that guy has a serious crush.

mtj
2.5.17, 8:06 AM
I don't need some guy I used to know in 7th grade "informing" me.

I'm not sure that comment indicates that the guy has a "crush" on her.

Some people on Facebook assume that because you once knew them, worked with them or went to school with them, you are interested in all their viewpoints, daily reports of what they have been doing and what kind of coffee they currently purchase at Starbucks.

People "may" be interested in major life events (marriage, new job, new baby, etc.) but there is such a thing as "over sharing".

I was under the misguided notion that once you "unfriended" someone on Facebook, they no longer showed up in your "news feed".
Yet another reason I am glad I'm not a Facebook person.

Mike
2.5.17, 11:38 AM
Guys don't have that long of an attention span. It's a crush. So says "Dr. Mike" -- not a real doctor, but I play one one the internet.

To make a person's posts not appear on your FB timeline either only come to Coffeerooms ( :) ) or click on the "Edit" icon in the offending FB post and select "Hide all from ...". *Poof*

Agent99
2.5.17, 10:27 PM
Most guys I knew in 7th grade are still crushing on me. : )