PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - It's A Crying Shame

mtj
1.13.17, 7:57 AM
1. Name a song that makes you cry. Why does it make you cry?

2. Name a movie that you thought was sad. Why did you think so?

3. Have you ever cried at a special event? (Wedding, graduation,birth of a child, etc)

4. If a friend or family member is sad, what do you doto cheer them up?

5. As kids, we were often told "don't cry" or "stop crying". Do you believe that crying is a healthy way to expressemotion?

Weekend plans?

Agent99
1.13.17, 9:54 AM
I used to always tear up when I heard "Weekend in New England" by Barry Manilow after I broke up with an old boyfriend.

I don't normally cry at movies, but I did cry at the end of "Me Before You." I cried when I finished the book too.

3. Have you ever cried at a special event? (Wedding, graduation,birth of a child, etc)
I cried when I was 13 and got to see Alice Cooper for the first time. There is something about seeing your hero in person.

4. If a friend or family member is sad, what do you do to cheer them up?
I listen to them and then I just talk and tell stories and always inject some humor in there.

5. As kids, we were often told "don't cry" or "stop crying". Do you believe that crying is a healthy way to express emotion?
Definitely!! I was not a crier as a kid. I always felt weak. When my mom died my dad was worried about me because I was so stoic. I think you have to let kids get out their emotions any way.

Weekend plans?
Going to see the movie "Jackie" tonight.

KrisMich
1.13.17, 11:23 AM
"It's a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong because my mom loved it and it reminds me of her.

"Terms of Endearment." No explanation needed, but the scene where she tells her boys that she's dying, gets me every time.

Oh gosh, yes! All of the above. I'm such a softy at things like this.

I'm just there for them in any way they need me to be. If they want to talk, I listen. If they just want me there for company, I'm there. If they want to go out and do something fun, I go.

5. As kids, we were often told "don't cry" or "stop crying". Do you believe that crying is a healthy way to express emotion?
It depends. If it's a whiny or tantrum type of a cry because of a behavioral thing, then I think it's okay to tell them to stop. If the child is upset about something, hurt or sad, then hold them and let them cry.

Weekend plans? Well, as most of you know, the past few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster for me. Losing my friend, Cynthia on Dec 12, Larry on Dec 22 and Boo on Dec 23 was way too much sadness. The weeks that followed with my family have been busy with the funeral, visitors and all that that entails. This weekend, I'm hoping to stay home, relax and catch up on some household chores. It will be a perfect rainy weekend to curl up on the couch and watch movies.

Mike
1.13.17, 6:41 PM
Love these questions, MTJ.

KrisMich
1.13.17, 6:57 PM
Aw, Mike! Aren't you going to play? :toothyz:

Mike
1.14.17, 12:03 AM
Started to, but then I started to get a little weepy.

mtj
1.14.17, 6:12 AM

"In The Arms Of The Angel", because it reminds me of when my Dad was in the final stages of Alzheimer's and I knew that is where he was headed.

I thought "Prince Of Tides" was pretty sad in parts. Mostly due to all the psychological damage done to the family. Also because Tom went back to his wife after his great love affair with Lowenstein.
Believe it or not, "Old Yeller" is the number one answer to this question.

I cried at all three of my kids graduations and at my son's wedding. Happy tears though.

Watching a funny movie is great for the blues. I remember being very sad and stressed out once, and someone put in a George Carlin video. I was laughing in no time.

My Dad used to say "tears are cleansing" and I agree. Kids used to be told to bottle their emotions. Now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction and kids are given free
reign to express and express and express with no boundaries involved.

Weekend plans?

Not many plans. We are supposed to have snow and ice all day Saturday, so I think some homemade cinnamon rolls are in my forecast.

Mike
1.14.17, 10:20 AM

"A Kiss to Build A Dream On" as sung by Louis Armstrong. Just makes me feel in love and full of joy.

I totally believe that "Old Yeller" is #1, but didn't think of it until I saw MTJ's note. I was thinking "Bambi" and "Terms of Endearment". I don't like downer movies.

More like, "have you ever not cried at a special event." I'm a wuss.

Tickle monster

It's a matter of place and degrees, I guess. The manly cloak.

Weekend plans?

Visiting Mom at assisted living, then Annie's bean soup!

Agent99
1.14.17, 1:46 PM
I am proud to say that I have never, and will never see Old Yeller, Terms of Endearment, Steel Magnolias, Beaches, or any of those other made to make you cry movies. I don't see the point.