PDA

View Full Version : Conservative purity vs Progressive purity

jolau
12.20.16, 8:37 PM
Seems to me that all you have to do to be "pure" in the eyes of a Republican is be rich, Christian, anti-abortion an pro-gun. You can be horribly rotten otherwise and they will still vote for you. You could poison the water of entire cities and they will still vote for you if you call yourself "pro-life". I bet you if Hillary Clinton were an anti-abortion pro-gun Republican, all of her "sins" would be brushed away as long as she was doing it for Jesus.
But for a Democrat and other progressives, you can't be a part of "the establishment", you can't have wealthy donors, you should not have attended one of Donald Trump's weddings (which I should remind you is more of a reflection on Trump), etc. We need all the help we can get, and progressives still complain about "the establishment".
I even once say a meme that wished Democrats and Republicans can go out for coffee and respectfully disagree with each other, but I'm thinking this is how this "They're all the same" nonsense begins. They think it's like the Wil-E-Coyote/Sam Sheepdog cartoons or the WWF where they are beating each other up on the clock, but they are best buddies off.

In my opinion, Progressives shoot themselves in the foot every time they focus on issues where religion is not a factor and disregard the effect the pulpit has on Republican politics. They need to start paying attention to what is being said in these churches and on programs like The 700 Club and find ways to counter these arguments.
The Progressives that didn't support Hillary will say "It's the economy" but how is it that a higher minimum wage, protections to the social safety net, and jobs through innovation and change was rejected, but maintaining the status quo of a low minimum wage for people with minimal educational/work backgrounds while propping up declining industries like coal and shredding things like Social Security, Medicare, and other forms of welfare were approved?

Also, how is it that the right can degrade and look down on people who aren't on their idea of "straight and narrow", tell people to walk on eggshells in the name of "personal responsibility" along with anyone else who wants better for this country, but the left can't do the same against the Deplorables?

Catstrack
12.24.16, 1:30 AM
Well, all I can say is that I worked hard and helped a campaign for someone running for state office this season and who is dedicated for years to education (which Okla. ranks last in the nation for spending). Another friend and I were talking about this election and friend said, yes....the person was the best qualified, BUT sadly, he said the only reason he could not vote for him was ONLY because he had a "D" after his name.

Partisan politics have ruined the country. When people stop voting for the best qualified instead of who's just a party pick...we all lose.

jolau
12.24.16, 10:48 PM
As I said before, religion does effect politics, especially in red states. I don't know why people don't acknowledge that. People think that just because their education is "free" (or taxpayer funded), it means they get to dictate what is taught or what they do as far as prayer or any other sort of mentions of religion. Something that serves the general public should be neutral when it comes to religion.

Just a few years ago, I was warning people about the Westboros and Pat Robertson, and I was told these people just have too much time on their hands and no one pays attention to them. (Yes, that's still a sore topic to me)
Now a people like that are going to fill the Cabinet.