PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - Holidaze

mtj
12.9.16, 11:18 AM
1. Do you still send Christmas/Holiday cards?

2. Where is the best place to "go see Santa" in
your community?

3. What do you have for Christmas Eve dinner?

4. Do people in your neighborhood decorate outside for
the holidays?

5. Are you baking this holiday season? If not, what do
you wish someone would bake for you?

Weekend plans?

Jenigirl
12.9.16, 11:56 AM
1. Do you still send Christmas/Holiday cards? Yep, a little late this year but they are going out in today's mail!

2. Where is the best place to "go see Santa" in your community? Either the mall or Bass Pro Shops seems to be where everyone gets their Santa pics done.

3. What do you have for Christmas Eve dinner? Turkey or ham. Whichever we're in the mood for and can afford. lol

4. Do people in your neighborhood decorate outside for the holiday? Yes. We have a few in our town that do big displays. It's really nice.

5. Are you baking this holiday season? If not, what do you wish someone would bake for you? I hope so, but my oven started acting up last night and we can't afford to replace it right now, so I'm not sure what we're going to do. Super bummed too because I had planned to spend this entire weekend baking to try and sell some cookie platters. Ugh.

Weekend plans? Not sure now that the oven is on the fritz. Tonight we have the winter concert at Dakota's high school and I'm heading up the bake sale as usual. Thankfully that stuff was all done before the issues started with the oven. If it doesn't work tomorrow, I may just chaperone the last holiday parade Dakota has tomorrow. And then...clean house.

KrisMich
12.9.16, 12:14 PM
Most years, yes. I have yet to purchase any cards this year though. I need to do that... maybe tomorrow.

your community?
At the historical museum in town. They always have "Christmas at the Park" and all of old historical buildings are decorated, lots of activities for the kids, hay rides, games, food and of course, Santa is there for pictures.

Not my favorite, but my family always does Mexican food. Ugh! I live in an area where we have a lot of Mexican restaurants and we get that all year. I miss the days of ham and all the trimmings.

the holidays?
Oh yes! My whole block is decorated. The "Griswolds" live next door. hehehehe! They have so many lights up that I had to ask them to please turn them off at bedtime as the lights were keeping me awake.

I'm baking. Tomorrow, I'm going to bake some tea cakes (Mexican wedding cookies or Russian tea cakes) for a friend who is coming to visit. He loves them. Closer to Christmas, I'll be making more tea cakes, cookies and banana nut bread for the family.

Weekend plans?
Yikes! Too busy. I have quite a few household and personal errands to take care of tomorrow. Then, on Sunday is my first concert of two (the other is on Thurs). A friend is coming to visit and we will be going to another friends house after my concert for dinner. It's gonna be a long day on Sunday, but visiting with these good friends will be wonderful.

Agent99
12.9.16, 1:24 PM
This is the first year I don't think I'll send any. It just seems like such a waste. Everyone I get cards from, or who I would send to, are all people that I am in communication with anyway. Bah humbug!

2. Where is the best place to "go see Santa" in your community?
We have a wonderful park in the center of town. Every year they decorate the park with a beautiful tree, a nativity scene and a menorah. They also have a Santa house where kids line up to see Santa on the weekends.

This year for our "Jewish Christmas Eve Dinner" I am doing a pasta bar! I will have different sauces and different noodles and everyone can pick what they want.

4. Do people in your neighborhood decorate outside for the holidays?
Yes! Especially my neighbor across the street. It's blinding. We tease her about it every year.

5. Are you baking this holiday season? If not, what do you wish someone would bake for you?
Every year I bake Italian pizzelle cookies and this year I'm also doing Sicilian "S" cookies. Yum!!

Weekend plans?
It is Emma Rachel's Bat Mitzvah! (my best friend's daughter). Dinner tonight, service tomorrow morning, party tomorrow night. All Bat Mitzvah - All the time. It will be a blast.

KrisMich
12.9.16, 2:39 PM
My cousin who hosts our family Christmas Eve just called about the menu. Her first comment was, "Dale is ordering the enchiladas." Yuck! But, this year, my cousin, Brandon and his family are coming (actually moving back to CA) from Missouri. He has 5 kids, 4 are big boys with hefty appetites. I suggested a ham or some kind of meat and she had a fit. She is Vegan and doesn't allow meat in her house. Jeepers! These kids are all meat eaters like most of us in the family. You know, I may bring a ham anyway. If we have to eat it on the patio, so be it.

Agent99
12.9.16, 4:40 PM
I wouldn't bring a ham. You are just asking for trouble. LOL!

KrisMich
12.9.16, 6:42 PM
But my mean streak is working overtime on this... hehehehe! Na, I've been elected to a bring fruit salad and a corn casserole (Paula Deen's recipe). I made it at Thanksgiving and everyone loved it.

mtj
12.9.16, 7:11 PM
People should not impose their "eating restrictions" on holiday gatherings.
It is much more hospitable to have a choice for everyone's eating habits.
If I ever went vegetarian or vegan, I would not expect everyone at my holiday meal to adhere to dietary restrictions I had put on myself.
I have no tolerance for people who expect guests in their home to eat the way they do.
Especially at holiday gatherings.

boo1
12.10.16, 6:48 AM
I still send out a few.

your community? http://www.metroparent.com/daily/family-fun/family-events/winter-fantasyland-holiday-display-in-lincoln-park/
They set up a beautiful display, it's a few blocks from our house. Our grandson Max went last week to see Santa here. It was a family tradition when our kids were young. Our daughter was an elf one year, her costume was the best part of the job! It is so beautiful and so many cute displays to see. If you have FB you can see a few videos people posted. https://www.facebook.com/lpfantasyland/

Ham or turkey.

the holidays?
Yes.

I might bake a few cookies. I want to bake a few lemon mini loafs and banana bread. I never had the patience for baking, I'm not very good at it. So any baked goods from someone else is much welcomed.

Weekend plans? The family is coming over today for an early birthday party for my husband. He will be 64 on the 12th.
Jennifer-I'm sorry your oven is out. I know how much you love baking.
Kristi-Our daughter and son-in-law have been vegetarians for 7 or 8 years. If she is hosting at her house she will cook meat for her guests. When they are invited to others homes she usually brings a small holiday roast (veggie roast) to share. I'm glad they don't make a big deal about it.