PDA

View Full Version : Hipster Foods!

Agent99
11.29.16, 9:36 AM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/michelleno/foods-that-hipsters-ruined-in-2016?bffbfood&utm_term=.gwQkXv855#.ndM3XGwrr

This is pretty funny and right on target! I am so sick of going to restaurants and having this crap served to me. Give me a piece of grilled chicken damnit!! What the hell is Matcha?

Mike
11.29.16, 10:39 AM
LOL! We still have a lot of diners around here. None of your fancy, silly food in those places. No way.

I'd never heard of matcha before your post. Apparently it is a type of green tea from Japan, but don't quote me on that. Please!

Why, matcha (http://amzn.to/2gfyPRE) might be the perfect stocking stuffer for all your geek foodie friends!Here it is at Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/2gfyPRE) in a zillion different packages. (I guess somebody is into it!)

At Wikipedia, they say, "Matcha (抹茶?, pronounced [mat.tɕa]) is finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea. It is special in two aspects of farming and processing: the green tea plants for matcha are shade-grown for about three weeks before harvest, and the stems and veins are removed in processing. During shaded growth, the plant Camellia sinensis produces more theanine and caffeine. This combination of chemicals is considered to account for the calm energy people might feel from drinking matcha. The powdered form of matcha is consumed differently from tea leaves or tea bags, and is dissolved in a liquid, typically water or milk."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha)

Learn something everyday!

Agent99
11.29.16, 10:40 AM
I'll let you drink it first, Mike.

Mike
11.29.16, 10:43 AM
OK; thanks. ;-) But, if you don't hear from me again...

Coffenut
11.29.16, 12:49 PM
I hate anything sushi. But I do love the zucchini pasta and the cauliflower pizza is amazing.

mtj
11.29.16, 1:18 PM
I am so tired of the hipster food.
And the restaurant staff who look at you funny if you ask for regular mayonnaise on your sandwich instead of remoulade or chitpotle mayonnaise.

Agent99
11.29.16, 3:33 PM
My restaurant pet peeve is under-cooked vegetables! Why are chefs so afraid to cook them? I'm tired of breaking my teeth on broccoli and carrots. The other night we went to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants and the side vegetable was broccoli and asparagus. I told the server, please tell the chef to actually cook my vegetables. I want them soft. He did, and they were excellent. Tonight we are going to some really trendy, hipster restaurant with friends. I am afraid of what I might find on the menu. I will let you all know tomorrow. I won't be ordering any matcha tea.

Mike
11.29.16, 4:37 PM
It is a very fine line between too-hard and too-soft broccoli. ImHO, of course.

Agent99
11.29.16, 5:13 PM
I agree. The same with brussels sprouts. The hipster thing with brussels sprouts is to turn them into flakes that look like potpourri. I hate it!! I complained to the server last week who served them to me. He offered to have the chef steam some. Don't assume everyone wants that trendy stuff!

KrisMich
11.29.16, 5:18 PM
Sometimes a sandwich will look really good on the menu until I read what condiments are on it. Please just give me regular mustard and mayonnaise.

mtj
11.29.16, 8:28 PM
I like vegetables firm, but not crunchy.
I don't like them soft and mushy.
Restaurants, especially the hipster kind, have a tendency to under cook vegetables.

Agent99
11.30.16, 12:17 PM
Here's my review of Mabel Gray. The restaurant only has about 10 or 12 tables. The menu was handwritten in a very flowery, very difficult style that none of us could read. We had to ask the server what half of the words were!! I told him to please find me a typewritten copy. He didn't have one. Some of the items (once we deciphered the writing) looked good but then about the fourth ingredient was either something I didn't like or something I didn't know. I had to Google a few of the items. I asked the server what he would recommend for a boring eater and he said, "I recommend you go to another restaurant." LOL! HOWEVER, everything that we ordered was delicious. I branched out of my comfort zone and had hand rolled gnocchi with a bolognese Bison sauce. Yes Bison. We had fried mushrooms and a wedge salad. Dessert was unbelievable. Lemon meringue pie and chocolate pudding unlike anything you've ever tasted. Would I go back? Probably not. Only because it was really difficult to figure out the menu and I do not look for adventure when I eat. It definitely is a foodie restaurant. Our friends loved it and can't wait to go back. The chef is there every day and I learned that he is a James Beard award winner. One of the things I didn't like was that every dish was spicy. Even the mushrooms were served with a spicy sauce. Oh, and duck eggs were big. They were served on a few of the dishes.

mtj
11.30.16, 12:25 PM
A successful restaurant that will build a steady clientele, tries to please all appetites. And it definitely has a menu that you can read.
Going out to eat should be comfortable and satisfying.
Not a roller coaster ride on the Gary Gourmand Express.

By the way, there is a picture of their hand-written menu in the Yelp reviews of the place.
Someone thinks they have really cool handwriting.
I agree with Agent, it's hard to read.

KrisMich
11.30.16, 6:06 PM
Bison may be good but the simple fact that I know it's bison or even buffalo meat would prevent me from eating it.

Joyce Sean
12.6.16, 1:14 AM
I often like Bacon and Tacos. I just can't get rid of those hipster foods.

Vanessa Thorn
12.6.16, 2:09 AM
I like Pizza and Sushi a lot and I can't get rid of those foods.

Mike
12.6.16, 11:03 AM
What does that mean, "can't get rid of..."?

mtj
12.6.16, 12:32 PM
I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means (which is something you would take a laxative for)

Mike
12.6.16, 3:18 PM
Haven't used this in awhile: ROFLMAO