PDA

View Full Version : Could Electoral College elect Clinton?

Catstrack
11.16.16, 1:12 AM
It is possible, but will not happen...so even as she is still gaining votes (something like over 800,000 and still growing now in the popular vote counts over Trump) it would be more likely that the earth would reverse it's rotation around the sun first.

I have made a decision (after this election and thought about this after the Bush/Gore one) that I will no longer vote in presidential elections in the state where I live. I've lived in many different states during my lifetime and don't plan on ever moving elsewhere again...love so many things about where I live now, but thanks to the electoral college it is an exercise in futility to vote here for anyone not Republican on the presidential ticket thanks to the electoral college.

I understand why the EC was originally formed and agree it made sense then. I understand that we vote as a republic and we are not a true democracy. I understand that on the times I have voted for a Democrat presidential candidate my vote won't matter since Oklahoma's EC vote has gone overwhelmingly to the Republican nominee since before Eisenhower, so my one vote is nothing more than a mark on a piece of paper.

I will still vote, but not for president any longer until (if I live that long) my one vote can be counted in a more fair way that gives each single vote the weight it deserves. One person...one vote.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/could-electoral-college-elect-clinton/ar-AAklfwV?li=BBnb7Kz

jolau
11.16.16, 3:03 AM
In my opinion, the real problem with the EC is the divide between Blue, Battleground, and Red States. If Hillary won the EC, then both the Electoral College and the Popular Vote would reflect each other.

The thing I'm hearing about the problem with the Democrats is that it's no longer the party of the "working class" or the Union movement. But how can they be that party again? The working class still consists of people that go to church every Sunday and get pounded in the head about the so-called evils of our society (most of them involve sex), but ignore some of the actual evils that are plaguing our society but are ignored because of the things the church keeps us hyper-focused on.

jolau
11.16.16, 3:30 AM
The one thing I have thought of is, there are a number of low-level electable positions on the ballot in San Francisco that although we have an instant runoff and have three choices, often we only get one or two picks.
I wonder what it would take for a little guy like me who works at an airline to get into one of these spots and use it as the first stepping stone for a political career of some sort.

I wonder if being the son of a retired FBI agent will help. He's got to still have some good connections.
I'd probably be somewhere between Hillary and Bernie.
Worth a shot?

jolau
11.16.16, 4:34 AM
On the bright side, Barbara Boxer is doing something about this. Unfortunately, she only has a few months to do it, unless she got Kamala Harris to continue on this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-election-day/sen-boxer-calls-abolishing-electoral-college-n684386 (http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-election-day/sen-boxer-calls-abolishing-electoral-college-n684386)

Catstrack
11.19.16, 1:11 AM
The thing I'm hearing about the problem with the Democrats is that it's no longer the party of the "working class" or the Union movement. But how can they be that party again? The working class still consists of people that go to church every Sunday and get pounded in the head about the so-called evils of our society (most of them involve sex), but ignore some of the actual evils that are plaguing our society but are ignored because of the things the church keeps us hyper-focused on.

I've heard that, too...but, I think some of some of this elections appeal to the "working class" contained a certain amount of false promises that implied guaranteed bringing back jobs lost that have gone to other countries by a candidate who outsources some of his own businesses overseas. Trump, today, took credit for a Ford facility choosing not move a particular plant to another country...even though Ford only intended to move one model and not the entire plant.

Now as to why many of the faithful lined up behind a businessman who outsources to other counties, is a philanderer, a liar (got the most Pinnochios by Fact Checkers), made so many derogatory rants against women, certain races and faiths, a known bombastic egotist, someone who is not religious enough to say he's never felt the need to ask God for forgiveness for anything, so on and so on..............your guess is as good as mine as how he was able to dupe them into voting for him.

Catstrack
11.19.16, 1:26 AM
The one thing I have thought of is, there are a number of low-level electable positions on the ballot in San Francisco that although we have an instant runoff and have three choices, often we only get one or two picks.
I wonder what it would take for a little guy like me who works at an airline to get into one of these spots and use it as the first stepping stone for a political career of some sort.

I wonder if being the son of a retired FBI agent will help. He's got to still have some good connections.
I'd probably be somewhere between Hillary and Bernie.
Worth a shot?

Sure! Why not! :-) The only thing I know about this stuff is that is costs money to run for anything. I've worked with others over the years in city elections campaigns....some won, some lost......and this year worked to help a neighbor and friend in their bid for a State Senate bid, sadly lost. As we all know, it's all about getting information to the voters by mail-outs, phone banks, knocking on doors, getting media exposure, etc. Nothing is impossible though and if it's something someone has a calling to do and can assemble a team, then I say go for it. :-)

Catstrack
11.19.16, 2:13 AM
Change.org for a petition to EC to change votes for the candidate who won the most votes:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-opposition-to-electoral-college-may-make-it-harder-to-change/ar-AAktDk0?li=BBnb7Kz

Won't happen, but who knows

jolau
11.19.16, 11:23 AM
Change.org for a petition to EC to change votes for the candidate who won the most votes:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-opposition-to-electoral-college-may-make-it-harder-to-change/ar-AAktDk0?li=BBnb7Kz

Won't happen, but who knows

I think this petition would be much better for what we need for now.

http://pac.petitions.moveon.org/sign/demand-a-recount-in-wi.fb47?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=12387963

jolau
11.19.16, 12:17 PM
I've heard that, too...but, I think some of some of this elections appeal to the "working class" contained a certain amount of false promises that implied guaranteed bringing back jobs lost that have gone to other countries by a candidate who outsources some of his own businesses overseas. Trump, today, took credit for a Ford facility choosing not move a particular plant to another country...even though Ford only intended to move one model and not the entire plant.

Now as to why many of the faithful lined up behind a businessman who outsources to other counties, is a philanderer, a liar (got the most Pinnochios by Fact Checkers), made so many derogatory rants against women, certain races and faiths, a known bombastic egotist, someone who is not religious enough to say he's never felt the need to ask God for forgiveness for anything, so on and so on..............your guess is as good as mine as how he was able to dupe them into voting for him.

Seems to me the some of the methods by which people "get the word out" are being denied to Liberals. We don't have the pulpit nor much support in the media. Unions are the shadows of their former selves these days, only the massive protest is available to us and I'm not sure how long that will last for us.

I think a lot of these people believe that "traditional" lines of work are the "real jobs". Manufacturing, mining (including oil drilling), construction, anything "physical" (but not too physical, like farm labor) or "manly". Even if some of these industries are no longer viable (IE: coal)
They also saw him as a "strict father figure" that could come in and enforce discipline.