PDA

View Full Version : A "Dear John" letter to us all from American Values ... (The Onion)

Mike
11.10.16, 12:21 AM
As friend said, this is bitter funny. "If You're Reading This, I'm Already gone" - A goodbye letter by American Values (http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/if-youre-reading-im-already-gone-54663), in The Onion

"Do you honestly know how lucky you were to have me? Do you have any idea? Well, you’ve let me slip through your fingers, and now you’ll just have to live with that. I hope you’re proud of yourself."

Catstrack
11.11.16, 3:10 AM
The age of "Modern Family" has slipped back the age of "Mad Men"....as someone I heard state it so well.

How this country, no matter how much some disliked Clinton, could put into power a throwback to the past. A man who believes his strength is by insults (said McCain was no war hero...said by a man who took deferments and never served this country), slaps back like a school yard bully at any one who dares speak against him, etc.

I am embarrassed, heartsick and appalled that this man is the chosen one to lead....and to what end I guess we'll see. Sounds like a fine cabinet of potential old white guys: Newt, Guiliani, etc., ....throw in a Christie and a token Carson...oh, and let's round it out with a Palin.

jolau
11.11.16, 3:46 AM
I remember certain people (You know, the ones that don't post here anymore. Particularly the one who seems to have become the unofficial hostess of some of the other boards and accused me of hijacking this one) were mocking me because I was warning people about groups like the KKK, the Westboro Baptist Church, and the Neo-Nazis (but at the same time worried about the Black Panthers). They thought these people were small in number, seen as fringe lunatics, and could be ignored.
However, I believed these people were lying in wait, slowly leaking their ideas back into the mainstream, waiting for a day where their racism would be acceptable again.

Did they listen to me? NO.

Now that day has come and I have to tell them I told you so.

jolau
11.11.16, 4:04 AM
Exhibit A

http://www.coffeerooms.com/bb/showthread.php?16730-I-predicted-something-like-this-was-going-to-happen-but-did-anyone-believe-me-NO!&highlight=Westboro+baptist+church (http://www.coffeerooms.com/bb/showthread.php?16730-I-predicted-something-like-this-was-going-to-happen-but-did-anyone-believe-me-NO!&highlight=Westboro+baptist+church)

jolau
11.11.16, 5:32 AM
Exhibit B

http://www.coffeerooms.com/bb/showthread.php?16825-Once-again-tragedy-strikes/page2&highlight=Westboro+baptist (http://www.coffeerooms.com/bb/showthread.php?16825-Once-again-tragedy-strikes/page2&highlight=Westboro+baptist)

jolau
11.11.16, 5:46 AM
People don't pay attention.
To Westboro, Robertson, or zealots like you.
They pay attention to what is good and right in the world.
But you go ahead and keep making noise about the very people you claim to disagree with.
It just gives them more attention.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will focus on how we can move on to a better society.

Just to remind people of what kind of ignorance that certain person had.

Now a man endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan is on his way to the White House.
Racist and Religious bullying and hate crimes are at an all time high.
They paid no attention to the evils of Donald Trump. They paid attention to the so-called sins of Hillary Clinton, be it her activities as your usual "establishment" politician to her spooky emails.
While the "rest of us" were focusing on "how we can move on to a better society", people like this were plotting to bring racism back to the mainstream.

Pay attention to these people. Ignoring them won't make them go away. And you can't ignore them for four or more years now that one of them is now our President-Elect.
And if this means I have to continuously nag people about this, so be it.

jolau
11.11.16, 7:07 AM
The Westboro Baptist is a very small organization that is not representative of anyone or anything other than themselves. According to Wikipedia there are only about forty members in the entire church and it is not affiliated with any Baptist organization in the United States. So the fact that the Westboro Baptist Church is protesting anything proves only that they are people with too much time on their hands. So who cares!

And now the other one.

How big were the Neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan in 2013? Are you sure these are just "people with too much time on their hands?"

You'd better care because one of them is our President-Elect.

jolau
11.11.16, 12:42 PM
I am embarrassed, heartsick and appalled that this man is the chosen one to lead....and to what end I guess we'll see. Sounds like a fine cabinet of potential old white guys: Newt, Guiliani, etc., ....throw in a Christie and a token Carson...oh, and let's round it out with a Palin.

And people thought he was anti-establishment. One of my coworkers thought he would have brought in say, people who resemble his children. A bunch of yuppies no one ever heard of.
But no. He's bringing lobbyists and loyalists, Establishment Republicans either in the form of people who have held offices for years and/or talking heads from FOX News.
Favoritism and nepotism seems to be the theme of his presidency.

And people complain about Hillary's connections to Monsanto?
I hope these Jill Stein/Gary Johnson-bots are happy.

jolau
11.15.16, 1:08 PM
"I listened as they called my President a Muslim.
I listened as they called him and his family a pack of monkeys.
I listened as they said he wasn't born here.
I watched as they blocked every single path to progress that they could.
I saw the pictures of him as Hitler....
I watched them shut down the government and hurt the entire nation twice.
I watched them turn their backs on every opportunity to open worthwhile dialogs.
I watched them say that they would not even listen to any choice for Supreme Court no matter who the nominee was.
I listened as they openly said that they will oppose him at every turn.
I watched as they did just that.
I listened.
I watched.
I paid attention.
Now, I'm being called on to be tolerant.
To move forward.
To denounce protesters.
To "Get over it."
To accept this...
I will not.
I will do my part to make sure this great American mistake becomes the embarrassing footnote of our history that it deserves to be.
I will do this as quickly as possible every chance I get.
I will do my part to limit the damage that this man can do to my country.
I will watch his every move and point out every single mistake and misdeed in a loud and proud voice.
I will let you know in a loud voice every time this man backs away from a promise he made to them.
Them. The people who voted for him.
The ones who sold their souls and prayed for him to win.
I will do this so that they never forget.
And they will hear me.
They will see it in my eyes when I look at them.
They will hear it in my voice when I talk to them.
They will know that I know who they are.
They will know that I know what they are.
Do not call for my tolerance. I've tolerated all I can.
Now it's their turn to tolerate ridicule.
Be aware, make no mistake about it, every single thing that goes wrong in our country from this day
forward is now Trump's fault just as much as they thought it was Obama's.
I find it unreasonable for them to expect from me what they were entirely unwilling to give.
And I will also pray.
My prayers will be for something different than theirs.
Prayers are always answered.
They will find no shelter here."

I copied this post from someone's comment- I will copy it over and over again- that's how I feel 100% - I wish I could meet the person and shake his/her hand and say thank you https://www.facebook.com/images/emoji.php/v5/f6c/1/16/2764.png

Catstrack
11.16.16, 1:34 AM
I can understand there are some who felt like they could not support Hill or Trump and decided to make either a statement vote for a third party or some who may have actually thought Johnson, Stein, etc. might have some kind of chance, but (except for Johnson's VP pick Weld) they were all horrible candidates, too.

Maybe next cycle there will be a real and viable third party candidate to challenge the status quo since this election, but it may still be just too soon to overcome the machinery of the two national party systems.

Certainly Trump ran as an outsider (which never made sense since he said he made contributions to hope for later favors, etc.) saying he would "drain the swamp"...then bringing in tons of old hat lobbyist, etc. Looks like he's just refilling the swamp with past swamp rats.

jolau
11.16.16, 3:26 AM
I actually wonder if some of these Third Partiers are merely people on the outside trying to get in.
Jill Stein had heavy investments in the financial and pharmaceutical sectors, and Gary Johnson is basically a disgraced Republican.
I'm not sure about the next cycle. I'm still hoping Trump sours things so badly for the Republicans that the Democrats use this as opportunity to take the House/Senate and find something to impeach him with. Even now, he's trying to do things that sounds like something a corrupt monarch would do. Allowing his children security clearances (Is he grooming Eric or Ivanka for political careers)? Putting ads on his .gov site for his businesses?

I still say to these people who said I shouldn't be nagging people about the evils of the hate groups (the Westboro Baptist Church, the KKK, Neo-Nazis, Donald Trump supporters, etc) or thought that these groups were small and could easily be ignored and they will go away. I say to them, the rise of Donald Trump is proof of the damage these hate groups can inflict on the rest of our society. How do I go about convincing these people about these clear present and growing dangers without nagging?
Obviously they never listened, and I doubt saying things nicely would do me much good either.