PDA

View Full Version : Closed Captions

mtj
10.17.16, 6:18 AM
Occasionally, if I am finding it difficult to understand a particular actor in a movie, I will turn the closed captions on.
Sometimes, I just click them on by mistake.
I almost always see a mistake, and wonder why closed captions are not edited.
I was watching Lethal Weapon 3 over the weekend. In the story, there is a construction company called Mesa Verde.
The closed captions continually refer to it as "Lisa Verde".
This is an old movie, and I am sure people have commented on this many times since it's video release, and yet the mistake is still there.

Mike
10.17.16, 12:06 PM
We turn them on with British TV all the time. It's become our default for BBC. Very handy when they're talking fast!

And when we're watching a movie or series made in another country, I always prefer to use the original soundtrack and turn on subtitles. I really dislike overdubbed dialog. It really fogs up the acting. But there are definitely times when the subtitles just don't achieve the desired level of competency.

The mistakes can be funny sometimes; or interesting interpretations when you're watching something in the language you took in high school.

Just for the heck of it, I looked up Mesa Verde Construction on Google. It does exist. I wonder if they didn't want their name used? (Which would be silly, IMO, but some folks don't get the thing about any publicity being, well, publicity.)

Agent99
10.17.16, 12:40 PM
I like to watch closed caption when I'm at the gym. The mistakes always make me laugh! We had to turn on closed caption for the show "Peeky Blinders" on Netflix. Couldn't understand a word!!

mtj
10.17.16, 1:22 PM
Just for the heck of it, I looked up Mesa Verde Construction on Google. It does exist. I wonder if they didn't want their name used? (Which would be silly, IMO, but some folks don't get the thing about any publicity being, well, publicity.)

"Lisa Verde" was just a mistake in the closed captions.
Any write up you read about Lethal Weapon 3 refers to it as Mesa Verde.

Mike
10.19.16, 11:07 AM
Was just reading -- again -- about the changes happening at "The Great British Baking Show" and it reminded me that we turn on the subtitles for that show too! We'd never catch some of the things they say without the subtitles!

(GBBS trivia: I just learned that it is called "The Great British Bake Off" in Britain, but they can't call it that in the US because Pillsbury has a trademark on "Bake Off". I like "...Baking Show" better. It seems more weirdly British; in'it?)

Agent99
10.19.16, 1:34 PM
Baking Show is much better! I agree.