PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - Be Of Good Cheer

mtj
10.14.16, 11:12 AM
1. Who do you know who needs cheering up right now?

2. What was the last thing someone did for you that cheered you up?

3. What has happened recently that made you laugh out loud?

4. Name a song that cheers you up.

5. Name a movie that most people found funny but you did not.

Weekend plans?

KrisMich
10.14.16, 12:02 PM
Oh gosh, so many people. My friend, Nancy who lost her husband on Tuesday. My friend, Cynthia who is battling cancer and has been in the hospital for over a month. My cousin, Denise who is always miserable.

Two of my friends chipped in and bought me tickets to see Il Divo next month (they are going too). With my financial struggles lately, they knew I couldn't go, so they did this for me. They are the best!!!

I laughed out loud watching "Seinfeld" yesterday. One scene just caught me off guard and I got so tickled.

Oh, this is a hard one as music cheers me up in general. But, if I have to choose one for the moment, it's "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars.

"Bridesmaid." I simply didn't like that movie.

Weekend plans?
It's a music weekend for me. I have a band review tomorrow and then I play in a concert on Sunday.

Agent99
10.14.16, 12:24 PM
My friend, Shira, she just lost her dog.

Agent 86 brought me a box of Godiva dark chocolates!

We just saw "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" on stage. My stomach hurt from laughing. The funniest show I've ever seen. I see why it won a Tony.

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" by the Monkees. Reminds me of summers as a kid.

The Hangover! Really?

Weekend plans?
My friends planned a singles mixer and only three people RSVP'd so now the party is open to everyone. Ha ha ha!!

Agent99
10.14.16, 12:32 PM
I liked "Bridesmaids." Melissa McCarthy at her best.

Mike
10.15.16, 12:03 AM
I'm answering at the wrong time of day. All I can think is, that the whole country could use some cheering up.

Annie made a super bean soup today. Very autumn and delicious and wonderfully cheering.

Hmm. I think it was that video of the "talking" dog (for the hundredth time) not getting the treat that was in the refrigerator.

Beach Boys - "Surfin'". (Out of a zillion. Annie will tell you; music cheers me up. Period.)

Who's this "most people"? How about any Seth Rogan? I cannot figure out the deal with that stuff.
On the other hand, I'll rewatch some WC Fields, like "It's a Gift", enough to wear most anybody else right out.

Weekend plans?
​Nothing special so far. Other than bean soup!

Mike
10.15.16, 12:06 AM
Loving these song choices! What a cheery bunch of earworms! :blush2ey:

Agent99
10.15.16, 8:45 AM
Seth Rogan - what is up with him? I find nothing funny about him or his endlessly annoying laugh. I would like to put Zak Galifinakis in there too, but "Between Two Ferns" is one of the funniest things on the web.

P.S. Will Annie share her bean soup recipe?

Mike
10.15.16, 10:48 AM
P.S. Will Annie share her bean soup recipe?

I think that she just found it. It's a quicky. I'll ask where and post it here.

Annie
10.15.16, 1:29 PM
7-Ingredient Tuscan White Bean Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins*
Total Time: 40 mins*

*you can absolutely eat it this soon, but it's way better if you make it in the morning to eat in the evening, and even better if you make it today and eat it tomorrow

Ingredients:
4 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely diced - I did bacon, 4 slices, but you can do less than that if you want.
1 small white onion, peeled and diced - I used Vidalia onion... less tears for me
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
8 cups good-quality chicken stock - OK, this depends on how thick you like it. I did 4 cups then added another cup or 2 at the end
4 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained note- any white bean works. I wanted navy beans because I think they are the smallest, but our market was out of them so we had Great Northern. Cannellini are the largest.
1 bay leaf
1 large sprig fresh rosemary
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
optional but highly recommended for serving: freshly-grated Parmesan

Directions:

1. Heat pancetta (or bacon) in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook until crispy, stirring occasionally. Transfer the bacon to a separate plate, using a slotted spoon, reserving about 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the stockpot. (Discard any extra grease, or you can substitute olive oil in place of the 3 tablespoons of bacon grease.)

2. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally.

3. Add chicken stock, beans, bay leaf, rosemary and half of the cooked pancetta (or bacon). Stir to combine. Continue cooking the soup until it reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially, and let the soup simmer for 10-20 minutes so that the flavors will meld.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I definitely recommend a generous pinch or two of black pepper, and extra salt if needed, depending on your chicken stock.) Remove the bay leaf and rosemary.

5. Serve warm, topped with the extra pancetta (or bacon). Garnish with Parmesan if desired.

This looks more involved than it is, and I cut corners. For instance, they say to take the bacon out, measure the grease and add it back to th epan and then cook the onion. I cooked the bacon, left it and the grease (there was less than 3 Tlbs) in the pan and tossed the onion in to cook with the bacon.

Agent99
10.15.16, 6:08 PM
Thank you, Annie! It sounds delish and I'm going to make it.