PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Customer Service

mtj
10.9.16, 7:35 PM
Wow, Amazon Customer Service used to be top shelf.
Lately it has gone right into the toilet.
Today, while paying bills, I noticed that I had been charged for another year of Prime Membership.
In the past, I have been notified first, before being charged for another year.
So I emailed Amazon and told them that I was unhappy that I was not notified first.
Their response?
They cancelled my membership, without my authorization.
And when I called to complain about this I was told there was nothing they could do for me, since it had already been cancelled.
Even though I never asked them to cancel it.
Basically a "we screwed up but tough shit, we won't help you" response.
I have also had two bad experiences with Amazon shipping, one involving a mug that was shipped with no packing material around it.
Amazingly enough, it got to me in one piece.
I need to keep my Prime Membership intact at least through the Christmas season.
But I am going to keep tabs on it between now and the next time I am up for renewal.
Sad to see this formerly good Customer Service has become so awful.

Agent99
10.10.16, 7:41 AM
I don't think I have ever seen a renewal notification! I was wondering about that. See if you can get to a person higher up and complain - or take it to social media.

Mike
10.10.16, 10:41 AM
Prime accounts are automatically renewed, without notice. It's part of the ToS.

It's actually common to automatically renew online accounts without a notice before the action. For example, Netflix doesn't notify before a subscription charge and neither does ConsumerReports.org. Apple has never sent a renewal notice, except when my credit card needed to be updated. Microsoft sends a randomish notice 5-8 weeks before an "Office 365" renewal, but the actual renewal goes by without a notice. In their ToS, Microsoft makes it clear that no notice is required on their part.

Here's the item from the Amazon Prime Terms: "UNLESS YOU NOTIFY US BEFORE A CHARGE THAT YOU WANT TO CANCEL OR DO NOT WANT TO AUTO RENEW, YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR PRIME MEMBERSHIP WILL AUTOMATICALLY CONTINUE AND YOU AUTHORIZE US (WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU, UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW) TO COLLECT THE THEN-APPLICABLE MEMBERSHIP FEE AND ANY TAXES, USING ANY ELIGIBLE PAYMENT METHOD WE HAVE ON RECORD FOR YOU."

It surely does seem that AMZN customer service let you down. I'm hoping that you just got a random bad player. Let us know how it goes getting back in!

mtj
10.10.16, 11:29 AM
You have to go into your account settings, then Prime Membership and click REMIND ME BEFORE RENEWING.
Then you get a reminder three days out.
I had my account set up this way, and somehow, magically, it changed.

I'm not sure how much higher up I can go.
I talked to a Customer Service Manager and he basically told me that a) he could not help me and b) I could just cancel my Prime Membership if that is what I wanted. Nice, huh?