PDA

View Full Version : Trump's apology?

Catstrack
10.8.16, 1:50 AM
Seems more like a quip from Pee Wee's Playhouse. "I know you are, but what am I?"

His apology for his crude comments about Nancy O'Dell 10 years ago didn't feel very sincere once he added "But Bill Clinton is worse". It would have been more palatable just to say I was wrong, but noooooo....Trump has to hit back "twice as hard", as he always says he must. Paul Ryan has disinvited Trump to the event in Wisconsin for tomorrow. Chavetz and other GOP members have now unendorsed him...finally!

Trump says in his "apology" for his awful, sexist comments...."this is not who I am", but I tend to agree with what Maya Angelo said..."When someone shows you who are they are, believe them".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-apologizes-but-also-calls-crude-remarks-a-distraction/ar-BBx9SxG?li=BBnb7Kz

jolau
10.8.16, 3:57 AM
Does he really apologize for anything?

jolau
10.8.16, 2:15 PM
I keep wondering what kind of message is the Republican Party telling girls growing up in Conservative Christian households.
They are told to abstain from sex until marriage, but be submissive to their husbands (and I assume this also means be submissive to a boyfriend that isn't abstinent)
They are placed into a Purity Culture where they are force-fed this Disney-Movie fantasy about love, marriage, and how to put themselves on a path towards marriage by their church and their parents.
They use "Modern Brady Bunch" families like the Duggars or the Robertsons (Duck Dynasty) as role models and are told this is an example of a "Good Christian Family".
Then comes Rudy Giuliani who says "everybody cheats", or people who say the Clinton marriage is a failure because Hillary didn't appease her husband enough (I assume sexually) and these serial divorcees most likely cheated and divorced because they weren't sexually satisfied?
What kind of message are you telling these girls that the Disney Movie fantasy they they have been sold is a lie and they have to satisfy their husbands sexually or else they risk getting cheated on and eventually divorced?

Mike
10.8.16, 7:47 PM
Does he really apologize for anything? No; he never apologizes. For anything.

I also wonder what this does, re. your question about the message to girls.

It seems like the Republicos are perpetuating the "boys will be boys" cultural error. #NoMoreBoysWillBeBoys !

jolau
10.10.16, 6:02 AM
I also wonder what this does, re. your question about the message to girls.

It seems like the Republicos are perpetuating the "boys will be boys" cultural error. #NoMoreBoysWillBeBoys !

I have a priest that blames the sexual revolution of the 1960's for the things that are going on now, and he usually mentions this whenever abortion or homosexuality is in the news cycle or some event is happening like an anti-abortion rally or the Roe Vs. Wade anniversary.
I'm wondering if this sort of attitude has always been there among men, the only thing that happened in the 1960's is that it was more out in the open and/or women started experimenting with their sexuality in a similar manner as a man would.

Mike
10.10.16, 11:17 AM
I'm wondering if this sort of attitude has always been there among men, the only thing that happened in the 1960's is that it was more out in the open and/or women started experimenting with their sexuality in a similar manner as a man would.

It definitely has, as you say, always been there among men. But it is way past time for this attitude -- and its attendant behaviors -- to end. Boys should be raised to understand moral equality and to not assume that their greater physical size gives them any other type or level of superiority. Men should know better. And behave better.

And if a man says that his nature lead him the wrong way, then shame on him.

Likewise; girls should be raised to expect moral equality. The old religious tracts that say otherwise are just that, old -- written (by men) for a different time; many, many ages ago. But the caveman mentality persists right up to now. #NoMoreBoysWillBeBoys!

Catstrack
10.11.16, 1:05 AM
Some evangelical (not all, but many) groups are sticking with Trump saying that they will overlook Trump's behavior, crassness, etc., because they are with him on what certain issues he has stated. Like overturning Roe vs. Wade, his pledge to appoint Conservative SCOTUS justices, etc. They are all fools to believe that Trump will do anything he's promised! This is a man who totally did a flip flop on these issues ONLY to run on the GOP ticket...for years (as a Democrat) on record supporting pro-choice and other non-Conservative issues.

IMO, they are blindly following a Charlatan,...Snake Oil salesman...a Harold Hill who's selling a foul bill of goods.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-evangelicals-idUSKCN1280WE

jolau
10.11.16, 2:35 AM
Some evangelical (not all, but many) groups are sticking with Trump saying that they will overlook Trump's behavior, crassness, etc., because they are with him on what certain issues he has stated. Like overturning Roe vs. Wade, his pledge to appoint Conservative SCOTUS justices, etc.

I think this is all they want, and all they care about.
People like this complain about a sexualized culture, blame the 1960s and liberalism, claim the kind of misogyny that exists in Islam does not exist in Christianity, and then many of them turn around and talk about the importance of sex in maintaining a marriage (like a liberal), and say and do things that are clearly misogynistic.

I always thought that to conservatives, marriage is about ensuring an intact home for the children. The father is the financial and moral provider (having a job, ensuring the children attend church), the mother maintains the home (cooking, cleaning, attending to the childrens' needs). Once the children are born, the parents wants (including sex) are secondary issues as their focus is now on the children.