PDA

View Full Version : Strict Disciplinarianism, riots, and athletes.

jolau
9.4.16, 1:08 AM
I have noticed on my Facebook feed a rather odd trend, whenever a riot or some other Black Lives Matter/Occupy related incident comes around, there seems to be a rise in "strict disciplinarianism". The prescribing of spankings, and the complaint that the reason why people (especially Millennials) are acting this way is because of lenient "I want to be their friend" parenting, thus creating a generation of uppity self-entitled undisciplined brats that the courts and the police will eventually have to deal with. (The people in question of course are usually black, but from what I know of black families, they tend to be beyond strict by white standards. Another thing is, the police will eventually have to draw from that generation to fill its ranks. Should be a recipe for disaster)
However, there seems to be an odd silence from these people since Brock Turner's "sentencing" and Ryan Lochte trying to get away with vandalizing a gas station in Brazil. And in the case of Brock Turner, we have a perfect example of a lenient "my child can do no wrong" parent and an uppity self-entitled millennial who is now getting away with a serious crime. So, where are the "strict disciplinarians"? Shouldn't Brock Turner's father beaten the dumb out of him?

This to me shows an obvious lapse in parenting and discipline when it comes to raising athletes, and to some extent bullies. The two groups that seem to need that sort of "strict disciplinarianism" but don't. I've actually seen people suggest kids deal among themselves when it comes to bullying. Don't go to the authorities, don't inform the school, defend yourself because that is all you have when dealing with bullies.
Therefore how is a strict disciplinarian supposed to discipline his or her bully child if the bullying goes unreported?

Either way, I think this sort of strict disciplinarianism is more about teaching people to accept authority and an unfair status-quo, and not necessarily about teaching morality.

jolau
9.13.16, 4:04 AM
Oh and Alabama still allows paddling.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2016/09/alabama_schools_paddling.html

Catstrack
9.17.16, 12:57 AM
It's an interesting subject, as well as a complicated one. Sometimes those who have been raised in a strict physical disciplined home become abusers and bullies, others may not. Same could go for those raised without corporal punishment that more may be more likely to discipline by reason later, or not. Every person is a product of how they were raised and some continue the good or bad cycles, but everyone does have free will to adapt and make changes at some point in life to be a more positive or more negative individual. I do think that in many ways there are several factors that encourage negativity more so today than at any other time. In general, the breakdown of civil society has given way to somewhat embracing a culture of acceptable meanness.

The internet has certainly fueled this with social media, twitter, etc., where people can attack others with few consequences. This encourages bulling as an acceptable tactic in some cases and impairs some youth and adults (IMO) in their ability to feel empathy. It's all a mess...lol.

All that aside, the job of the parent is not to be their kid's friend. I think it gets harder to raise moral children in an environment where we are all using artificial contact more and more. Sadly, I don't expect it to change.

jolau
9.18.16, 11:18 PM
From what I understand, a lot of these "strict disciplinarians" that have cropped up recently (as I said before, particularly because of the recent riots/incidents of police brutality) prescribe spankings because if the child is undisciplined, then eventually they will commit some sort of crime and the cops will have to deal with them. I know in some cases, the child may run afoul of a gang (which I consider collective bullying).

However, there seems to be a lapse when it comes to athletes. An athlete commits a serious crime, and finds a way to get off with either a light sentence, if at all.
What kind of message are you telling people when on the one hand, you will be severely punished for wrongdoing, but not if you are of a specific social status?

jolau
9.19.16, 4:28 PM
http://www.kmov.com/story/33076792/mother-of-boy-who-was-served-restraining-order-at-school-is-facing-own-legal-problems

Catstrack
9.25.16, 1:44 AM
In the link above it seems to me that it's a possible case of self perpetuating issues where there are problems with one or both parents and it becomes a learned behavior for the child....OR could be that the child has some independent psychological problems s well.

As to the athletes getting away with bad behavior that's nothing new, but when that does happen it does send a wrong message they may carry with them..... thinking that they will continue to be treated special into the future, too. It's a social trap.

For those who think that lack of strict physical discipline (regarding why they think riots, etc., happen) are sometimes not seeing the forest for the trees. Often there are larger issues at hand and it's just not than simple.

jolau
9.26.16, 5:09 AM
I'm pretty sure conservative-minded people would think that we didn't have such problems with ADHD/Autism/etc. in the past, and the bad behaviors associated with such problems could be punished away, however that doesn't help when the parents (or the schools for that matter) are ignorant.

Catstrack
9.28.16, 1:59 AM
Very true. I would agree.