PDA

View Full Version : Third party candidates..do they have a chance?

Catstrack
8.18.16, 3:22 AM
Realistically, probably not, but they are an option for those who feel they can't support the two major party candidates. The downside is that, historically, they are only spoilers who have no chance to win, but can tip the balance to the major party the third party voters want least to win. I've said for years that what might serve this country better is more choices. It's apparent by the poll numbers this country is not yet ready to put a majority support towards 3rd party candidates.

The field this year for 3rd party is not exactly prime real estate either.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/17/opinions/third-party-chances-brown/index.html

jolau
8.18.16, 8:08 PM
I think for the most part, third parties rarely see the big picture. They are too focused on the Presidency and pet issues. They would be viable if more people actually voted, or if Independents were reliable enough to form a block to support a third party.

We also have an example of how a sub-party can essentially hijack a major party. The Tea Party could be used as this example where a "third party" could essentially take control of such a party via the Koch Bros funding. Unfortunately, I doubt the Democrats would allow the Greens to do what the Tea Party has already done to the Republicans.

Catstrack
8.19.16, 3:12 AM
Great point on the Tea Party as it was probably the most successful voter block movement that has existed in decades, if not longer. Unfortunately for the GOP the Tea Party managed to fracture the whole GOP party and send it spiraling into an abyss which would later elect Trump as their candidate.

IMHO, if there was ever a time for a real third party to immerge this would be time to actually organize for the next election. Not for this one as it was/is too late when they files and the different current third party candidates are still unknown anomalies to most voters. Given that this election brings the US voters the two most negatively polled main candidates in recent history one would think it might give pause for some to formulate a future plan for a viable third party.

Even at that though, I'm not sure how things could work out since so much money is funneled into the two party elections...secret super fund pacs, etc.

jolau
8.23.16, 9:55 PM
Seems like even "established" Republican candidates, some of them "Tea Party Darlings" and/or grooming themselves since 2008/2012, have a hard time when it comes to the election season, only to lose to a relative newcomer in the election. I seriously doubt a third party would have much of a chance over the next 4 - 8 years unless the Republicans decline that badly.

Catstrack
8.24.16, 2:18 AM
Could be and we'll just have to see how this election shakes out and what the GOP looks like afterwards. I don't see a huge fracture of the Democratic party yet, even with a flawed and besieged presidential candidate. Who ever wins it's going to be a bumpy ride for the country for the next four years.

LorelaiRory
8.28.16, 7:12 PM
Hi Catstrack, We used to chat in the last election, when it was Barack Obama, in 2008. I don't know if you remember me. :biggrinq: The current election made me think of you and this site. Who are you voting for this year? I'm with Her. But I'll miss Obama.

Catstrack
8.29.16, 3:02 AM
Hi Catstrack, We used to chat in the last election, when it was Barack Obama, in 2008. I don't know if you remember me. :biggrinq: The current election made me think of you and this site. Who are you voting for this year? I'm with Her. But I'll miss Obama.

Oh my goodness! Hi LorelaiRory! Yes, I remember you. :-) I'm definitely NOT voting for Trump! I wish that Joe Biden would have run only because Hillary has had such a bumpy ride and I do think a lot of that has been over exaggerated politically. I don't think any of the third party candidates have a real chance and am not willing to waste a vote on them which might in any way give Trump an edge. So, I'm with Her, too. At least Hillary has a background of decades of service and understands this election is not about being a reality star who's sole intention is self-promotion. Not sure if it's true or not, but I have read that Trump has a plan with Roger Aisles (sp?), formerly of FOXnews, to create a new conservative network channel, if he loses.

Anyway, good to see you again! Hope you'll come back and post more later. :-)

jolau
9.2.16, 4:05 PM
Could be and we'll just have to see how this election shakes out and what the GOP looks like afterwards. I don't see a huge fracture of the Democratic party yet, even with a flawed and besieged presidential candidate. Who ever wins it's going to be a bumpy ride for the country for the next four years.

I think every Democratic Presidential candidate will be "flawed and besieged" from now on. They have been since Bill Clinton for the mere reason that Republicans have believed that only Republicans are worthy of the Presidency since Reagan. For one, they believe the only way a Democrat can govern this country is through a series of conspiracies. "Mysterious deaths" and such.