PDA

View Full Version : Bull phrases and FUMs

Mike
8.11.16, 2:43 PM
A certain omnipresent public speaker is just irritating the heck out of me with content-free, hackneyed expressions that he repeats constantly. He uses them to brace up pseudo-facts -- to try to make them sound like they have some substance, some imaginary realness.

He was on the TV this morning, speechifying in his splintered manner and I noticed that every tangential fork has at least two of these empty cans of words.

Then the broadcast was interrupted by a commercial and, low and behold, it had a bunch of these meaningless fake-fact props too.

I think I'm going to name these things "Bull Phrases". But if you have a better, nicer name for them, please shout it out.
And if you have a favorite -- or pet peeve -- Bull Phrase, please make a note of it here. As you see; it doesn't have to be in or about politics.

Bull Phrases:

"As low as": in advertising for the come-on price that never, ever is the price that you'll end up with.
"Starting at": same as "as low as". A bull phrase price that will never be usable.
"Many people say": Actually means, "my opinion is important and should be decisive, but I have no basis for it." Variant bull phrases: "lots of folks," "everybody knows...," and so on.
"Studies have shown": with no actual study references.
"Clinical trials indicate": "clinical trial" means, basically, "some guy tried it once."
"Really, really [great, big, little, loud, quiet, hot, cold, adjective-of-choice]: there is no unit called "really, really" in either imperial or metric scales. Only friends may use "really, really" because, in that case your knowledge of your friend gives you a basis for understanding the relative value of a really. "That movie was really, really good," means something when a friend says it. But if a stranger says it, who knows where they're coming from? (Possible exception: "really, really tiny hands.")
"It's so [good, bad, adjective-of-choice]": similar to "really, really" but begs a Carsonesque followup, "how good is it?"
"Only I can...": As noted by de Gaul; the graveyard is full of indispensable people.
"Such a...": another fake unit of measure. Henceforth, a "FUM".
"You have to...": no I don't.
"The majority of...": yet another FUM.
"The rest of the world...": FUM.
"A great many...": FUM.
"...literally...": beware when you hear this word. It is the tar pit of facts.

Wha'da you got?

Agent99
8.12.16, 10:11 AM
I hate, 'It's been reported...." Who reported this? No one. You made it up.
"Receive a free gift..." Aren't all gifts free?
"The survey says.." - oh wait, that's from Family Feud and it is real.

Mike
8.12.16, 6:37 PM
I hate, 'It's been reported...." Who reported this? No one. You made it up.
"Receive a free gift..." Aren't all gifts free?
"The survey says.." - oh wait, that's from Family Feud and it is real.

Yes! Who indeed "reported"?

Yes again with "free gift" -- especially when accompanied by "Just pay shipping and handling."

Just heard himself repeat one of his favorites; "...and we're going to have treMENdous voter turnout...." Another FUM.

Agent99
8.13.16, 12:37 PM
Does "While supplies last?" fit in? Like they only have 20 items left.