PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - Discipline

mtj
7.8.16, 10:09 AM
1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strict were your parents?

2. What kind of punishments did you get from your parents?

3. What kind of punishments did you get in school?

4. Describe a time you got "in big trouble" when you were a kid.

5. What kind of discipline do you think works best with young children (as in they learn from it)?

Weekend plans?

Agent99
7.8.16, 11:31 AM
I had a Sicilian father. You do the math. HA! He was very strict - but fair. Many in my family say I was spoiled but I don't think so. I abided by his rules, I challenged him when I needed to and we came to an understanding. I think a bit of fear is healthy. It kept me in line.

A smack wasn't unheard of in my family. A lot of yelling. We didn't have groundings or stupid time-outs. When we were wrong we knew it and were left to sulk about it.

My fifth grade teacher used a paddle! For minor interruptions in class we had to sit in the hall. For major ones, we were sent to the office! Sometimes a phone call home to our parents - or even the threat was enough to keep us in line. Of course, this was back in the day when parents respected teachers and didn't question them and didn't side with their kid.

My mother caught me putting mud in my Easy Bake Oven to see if I could make mud pies. She threw a fit and then threw her shoe at me. My friend who was with me at the time still remembers this!! She wanted to teach me to take care of my nice things.

5. What kind of discipline do you think works best with young children (as in they learn from it)?
I think you have to speak to them - not on their level, but in a more adult way and press upon them whatever they did was wrong and why and the consequences. Taking away privileges is a big thing that I thing works. It's a tough job.

Weekend plans?
Going to see the Detroit Symphony Orchestra do a musical tribute to David Bowie at an outdoor music venue. Monday - DURAN DURAN!!! YAY!!

mtj
7.8.16, 12:20 PM
She threw a fit and then threw her shoe at me.

Ah, I see your mother and Eddie Murphy's mother were related. Anyone who has not seen Eddie Murphy's Delirious, go do that right now.
It is hilarious. You can get the show throwing bit on You Tube.

KrisMich
7.8.16, 1:39 PM
Probably a high 8. They (meaning my mom and grandparents - my grandparents helped raise me) had to know everything before they would let me go anywhere. Who I was going with, who would be there, was there any parent or adult supervision etc. I'd say they were overly protective more than strict.

They didn't "spare the rod" that's for sure. Spankings were the punishment of choice. Grandpa used his belt... ouch!!! My Granny (great-grandma) used to scold us with a switch (a thin tree branch) and that really stung. As I got older I'd get a privilege taken away from me. However, I was never grounded. I really wasn't a bad kid and behaved pretty well.

I didn't get in trouble much in school. A couple of times in the 8th grade, I had detention for talking too much in my math class. We had to stay after school an hour and do extra homework.

I was about 5 or 6 and I wandered down the street met a little girl who lived on the corner. Her name was Marsha and we are still very good friends. But, I didn't tell my mom where I was going or that I was even leaving the yard. Mom frantically looked everywhere for me and was about to call the police when she looked down the street and saw me skipping home without a care in the world. I had been at Marsha's for over 2 hours. Anyway, that was the one and only time I remember my mom whipping me with a belt.

I'm not a parent, so this is a hard one. But, I think being firm in what you say you're going to do if they don't behave is a good thing. I know so many who give in to their kids and let them get away with so much. If you tell them you are going to take away a privilege, do it.

Weekend plans?
It's been a hell of a week. More plumbing issues to the tune of $580. Jury duty. etc... Anyway, I have to go have some lab work done tomorrow morning in Visalia and I plan to make a day of it. I have to fast before my blood draw, so I'm going to my favorite restaurant in my old town for breakfast afterward. Then, I will visit a friend for a couple of hours and may do some shopping before coming home. I just need some freedom this weekend.

mtj
7.8.16, 1:54 PM

My parents were pretty strict, especially as I got into my teen years.

I was spanked, but not often. Sent to my room mostly. I also had TV privileges revoked from time to time.

Oh you know how those nuns like to rap kids with their rulers. Lots of detention in High School.

I was pretty young, maybe six or seven and walking home from school when I got the bright idea to pick my Mom a bouquet of flowers. I was so proud of myself when I got home. I just knew my Mom was going to love them. Well, turns out I got yelled at because I had picked those flowers out of people's yards.
Sorry Mom but if I was too young to understand that was wrong, I was too young to be walking home by myself. But I had the run of the neighborhood (a big one) from about five on. I wandered much further than I ever let my kids wander.

You absolutely have to follow up on what you say. Idle threats with no action will not teach kids anything. Ask my kids. I never once backed down on my threats to punish them. Which is how they ended up in bed at 7 PM one Summer evening. I can still hear them wailing "But it's still LIGHT OUT!!!!". It is also how they ended up with no toys in their room. They were told to clean up and didn't, so I took all the toys and the only way they could earn them back was to play with them and then PUT THEM AWAY when they were done. Yeah, I was a hard-ass Mom. :pinkyz:

Weekend plans?

Nothing special.

Agent99
7.8.16, 2:06 PM
I used to pick dandelions for my mom. She would put them in a glass of water and keep them on the windowsill. I never stole any from the neighbors!!

mtj
7.8.16, 3:29 PM
I never stole any from the neighbors!!

This is why I mentioned my age at the time. It never occurred to me that I was "stealing" anything.

boo1
7.9.16, 12:43 AM
My Dad was strict, 9. He worked two jobs for many years so he wasn't home much. When he was he wanted the house quiet and didn't like our friends over. Mom was too easy on us, I'd give her a 4 or 5. She let all our friend's hang out at our house. She never made us do our chores, thinking back we were lazy little brats.

Dad used the belt. Mom yelled. I do remember her using a switch on us a few times.

I was really good in school. Once in fifth grade I did get smacked three times with a big wooden paddle by a slap happy teacher. He said I was talking. I was giving a boy a pencil he ask to borrow. I really do think those three wacks are the reason I have so much trouble with my tail bone. I cried all the way home and it hurt for days when I sat down. To this day my tail bone hurts if I sit too long in a wooden chair or on cement.

I told my Dad I hated him and told him to shut up. I got the belt and was sent to bed with no dinner. I think I was 11.

I have to admit I have a little too much of my Mom in me, I tend to be a push over. I had my two, my brother's four when he was working, my nephew on my husband's side and the babysitting kids. I had too much on me and never was consistent with discipline. I yelled too much and the kids just tuned me out. I found it easier to do all the chores myself rather then fight with them. I didn't think it was fair to have my two clean up after all the other kids so I just did it all. I guess I didn't do too bad, my kids never got into big trouble and grew into responsible adults, Thank God.

Weekend plans? I had hoped to visit my sister-in-law and nephew this weekend but I have another sinus and ear infection.
mtj-My daughter picked me a huge bouquet of flowers from our neighbors yard, she was 4. She came in and said, Look Mommy for you. I knew where they came from and I froze because the old lady next door was mean. I told my daughter she couldn't pick flowers from other people's yards. I went over to tell the neighbor how sorry I was. I was almost in tears when she was done with me. She tore me up one side and down another. I got on my knees and fixed her flower garden back up the best I could. I offered to buy new plants. I was glad my husband had over ruled me on making our daughter go over to apologize. That old lady scared the crap out of me just think how she would have scared a four year old.

mtj
7.9.16, 8:33 AM
I want to be the "old lady next door" someday.
I would have told your daughter that she was sweet to bring her Mommy flowers and that she could pick my flowers any time she wanted.
As a matter of fact, I would invite her over to plant her own little garden of flowers to pick.
Kids don't understand "your flowers" and "my flowers". To kids, they are just of the Earth and for everyone.

I hope you feel better, Boo.

Agent99
7.9.16, 11:17 AM
I don't understand why some people have to be so mean. You apologized. You fixed her flower bed. Your daughter was 4!!! Now, kids on my lawn - that's another matter. : )