PDA

View Full Version : More About Words And Phrases That Need To Go

mtj
5.30.16, 3:12 PM
This is a great article about trendy words and phrases that need to go.
While most of them irritate me, LOL is at the top of my list.
You are not laughing out loud as often as you post it.
Stop, just stop now.

https://litreactor.com/columns/top-10-words-that-need-to-die-immediately

Agent99
5.31.16, 10:48 AM
I agree with every one of them! I have never heard "Nom" and still don't get how it's used. "Man Cave" is my absolute number one hated term. Agent 86 is tired of "Ensuite" (I don't know if it's one or two words) when describing a master bath. We can't watch House Hunters anymore without him having a violent fit. LOL is so easy to use, but I try to use "Ha ha."

mtj
5.31.16, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure why they just used "nom" in the title when it's generally used as "om-nom-nom" as in a noise someone makes when eating something that tastes good. As the author said, it did originate with Cookie Monster on Sesame Street. That being the case, I would be okay with little kids using it. But not grown people. There is nothing that sounds worse than adults using baby talk.

KrisMich
5.31.16, 11:13 AM
I have seen some Vietnamese restaurants that are called "Nom Nom" and then a word after it. Like "Nom Nom BBQ," for instance. And there was a popular food truck in Los Angeles that sold Vietnamese inspired dishes called, "Nom Nom." They were on a competition show on The Food Channel. So, that may be where "nom nom" comes from too.

mtj
6.23.16, 8:09 PM
"Here's the thing".

Stop saying it.
Stop saying it NOW.

Agent99
6.24.16, 12:24 PM
In a conversation with Agent 86 this morning he used the phrase, "Reach out" twice. Whenever I heard, "Here's the thing," I always think of Monk so it doesn't bother me.