PDA

View Full Version : Filipino historical revisionism and its millenials.....

jolau
5.5.16, 12:37 AM
(Please view the video linked on the bottom)

Any comparison to Donald Trump?

Seems to me that there is, you have a well-known personality (The son of Ferdinand Marcos is running for Vice President in the Phillipines) that is using an era that has been glorified due to historical revisionism to his advantage, thought people were obedient to their president during this era, and now we have a generation of Filipino millenials who think a "strict father figure" is what their country needs but not realizing the "strict father figures" are usually also the most abusive ones.

https://www.change.org/p/department-of-education-rewrite-philippine-history-books-to-include-the-full-story-of-the-martial-law-era-019f57a2-e77a-4469-b8c7-9f57c4b4b0fd?recruiter=30061027&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=des-sm-no_src-reason_msg (https://www.change.org/p/department-of-education-rewrite-philippine-history-books-to-include-the-full-story-of-the-martial-law-era-019f57a2-e77a-4469-b8c7-9f57c4b4b0fd?recruiter=30061027&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=des-sm-no_src-reason_msg)

https://www.facebook.com/CARMMAPH/videos/1554114678222086/

Catstrack
5.5.16, 3:06 AM
I hope the Filipino younger voters do their research (as I hope American voters will also with Trump)! Marcos was a corrupt and anti-democratic leader. No need to revisit this particular regime for that nation.

http://www.biography.com/people/ferdinand-marcos-9398625#!

jolau
5.5.16, 6:10 AM
It seems to me that the Filipino education system either omits these things to make their history more palatable to children, or this sort of historical revisionism is more about glorifying someone who as I said before, is a strict father figure (same with Trump). Someone who loves his country and its people, but had to use some sort of "tough love" approach in order to keep people in line despite all the abuses of power. But one has to ask, does the United States really need such a person? Does the Phillipines?

Catstrack
5.7.16, 2:57 AM
No they/we don't, but remember a few years ago Texas also approved revisionist history books for their state? It's not been an uncommon thing in the US that history text books have omitted certain things, too. It's been a long time since I was in school (!), but I was never taught anything about WWII camps that housed American citizens who were of Japanese descent, or that the blankets given to Native Americans in the 1800's that were infected with the measles (or small pox virus?), or the heroes who risked everything to bring freedom to slaves thru the Underground Railroad. As an adult when I learned these things I was floored and appalled.

But, whether it be the US, Filipino or any other nation...it's truth that helps one learn, not to hide away the bad things and hopefully strive to do better in the future. Certainly with Trumps bigotry, lies, scamming and lack of information....he's a dangerous man for anyone to even entertain the idea that he's fit to be King, er, President.

jolau
5.7.16, 6:55 PM
Looks to me that these things are omitted so that the sins of the past are forgotten by the later generations, and it's to the point where things like Filipino martial law under Marcos or American slavery were seen as benevolent. And you wonder why people think things were "better" in the past, it's a glorification of past eras that either didn't exist or at least was very different from what people learn in school. Do you think the conservatives of this country would accept Eisenhower-style economics and the associated taxes? Don't think so.
They don't really discuss taxes pre-1940's either, they assume federal income taxes were non-existant, but the truth is, federal income taxes existed on and off since Lincoln.

Catstrack
5.9.16, 2:16 AM
Good points. Certainly many would not agree with Eisenhower economics today and one thing he shares with Trump (if elected) would be the only two modern day men that entered office with no other elected experience.